Old 11-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Boothbay

Default crape myrtle in pots

I have this hardy crape myrtle plant in my backyard garden for 15 years
and blooms each year profusely. Last spring, I noticed some 'sprouts'
around its base and I removed t hem root and all and put them into
various size pots. I brought them indoors last september and nutured
them and they looked healthy. BTW, I live in the nyc area..zone 6 or 7.
A couple of weeks ago I started to put them outside on a small patio to
get adjusted to the outdoors when it finally does get warmer. I bring
them indoors at night although they are suppose to be hardy. I'm
talking about plants that are almost 2 feet high. In one day, I noticed
that the leaves look like they have been 'toasted' by the sun. The temp
was merely in the low 60's during the day and low 40's at night. I
immediately brought them indoors and the leaves started to recuperate.
Why does this happen to a so called hardy plant? When will the
temperature be right to leave them out altogether, if at all?

Old 12-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Vox Humana

"Boothbay" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Plants that have grown indoors for extended periods need to be acclimated to
the outdoors. I put them in a shady, sheltered area for several days before
exposing them to direct sunlight.

Old 13-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Travis

Boothbay wrote:
[...]

You should have left them outside to begin with by burying the pots in
the ground over the winter.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] First Aid on a Crape Myrtle Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 3 05-01-2004 04:32 AM
crape myrtle Wishy13764 Gardening 2 25-09-2003 12:12 AM
Where to buy crape myrtle? Mick Gardening 5 10-09-2003 03:32 PM
crape myrtle mardab Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Crape Myrtle Repot audgen Bonsai 2 17-03-2003 08:44 PM