Old 07-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Registered User

Default grass around the bush

Hi guys,

I'm new here and also new in garden care.

My wife and I planted spirea yesterday. I would like to know if there is a quick way of removing the grass around the bush without digging the grass out? It's because, I would like to make a nice pattern around the spirea that we have planted. If you notice on the picture, I already have a white curvey pattern which I will follow. I can dig them up but it's too tiring.

Here are some pics:

http://restricted.dyndns.org/plant1.jpg
http://restricted.dyndns.org/plant2.jpg

Thanks,

Neil
Old 07-06-2005, 09:39 PM
loonyhiker

I use Grass-B-Gone (not Weed B Gone) around my flowers and it does a great
job. I especially like to use it around my liriope. It kills the grass but
not the plants.

loony

--
v1rtu0s1ty

Old 08-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Toni

"v1rtu0s1ty" wrote

My wife and I planted spirea yesterday. I would like to know if there
is a quick way of removing the grass around the bush without digging
the grass out? It's because, I would like to make a nice pattern around
the spirea that we have planted. If you notice on the picture, I already
have a white curvey pattern which I will follow. I can dig them up but
it's too tiring.

Too tiring??
Even if you kill the turfgrass with a herbicide you'll still have to dig out
the dead plant matter. Probably should ammend the entire bed by double
digging the whole area.
Gardening is hard physical work- no way around it.
Pick up a shovel and get to it!

Now when you see a beautifully landscaped yard you might understand all the
intense physical labor that goes into it.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 08-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty
Yep, I'll start digging. Thanks for the tips.
I forgot to mention. Since I will be removing the sod, what is the best soil that I should put? My neighbor told me that I should mix pete moss and regular soil. Don't know if it's correct.

Thanks.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Darren Garrison

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:38:17 +0000, v1rtu0s1ty wrote:

the grass out? It's because, I would like to make a nice pattern around
the spirea that we have planted. If you notice on the picture, I already
have a white curvey pattern which I will follow. I can dig them up but
it's too tiring.

How about buying some rolls of that porous black planting sheeting that allows water through but not
significant sunlight, laying it over the areas where you don't want grass, and waiting for it to
die?