Old 14-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Alex

Default OT/ Vegan Fertilizer

How are they made, and what are they made of?

I'm looking into making them myself, but find it hard
to find some how-to materials online.

Alex

Old 14-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Jennifer

Alex wrote:
How are they made, and what are they made of?

I'm looking into making them myself, but find it hard
to find some how-to materials online.

Looks like it's basically just compost and miscellaneous other plant
materials.

http://www.vegfamily.com/amy-olga/tip4.htm

http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/vegorg.php

--
Jennifer

Old 14-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Doug Kanter

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 6/14/05 7:32 AM, in article
, "Jennifer"
wrote:

Alex wrote:
How are they made, and what are they made of?

I'm looking into making them myself, but find it hard
to find some how-to materials online.

Looks like it's basically just compost and miscellaneous other plant
materials.

http://www.vegfamily.com/amy-olga/tip4.htm

http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/vegorg.php

--
Jennifer

And here I was wondering if he was composting vegans!

Vegan-Organic Principles? Give me a f..king break. No animal products - do
they think horses and cows suffer if we use their manure??? :-)

Old 14-06-2005, 08:57 PM
paghat

wrote:

Alex wrote:
How are they made, and what are they made of?

I'm looking into making them myself, but find it hard
to find some how-to materials online.

Looks like it's basically just compost and miscellaneous other plant
materials.

http://www.vegfamily.com/amy-olga/tip4.htm

http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/vegorg.php

--
Jennifer

And here I was wondering if he was composting vegans!

Vegan-Organic Principles? Give me a f..king break. No animal products - do
they think horses and cows suffer if we use their manure??? :-)

Actually not all vegan gardeners are adverse to manure which can be
regarded as vegan-organic because it is a byproduct of digested grass &
oats & the like. But anyone adverse to shoveling shit into their yard &
avoding especially the commercially manufactured manure composts is not
losing out on anything needed by the garden, as the so-called
green-manures are actually BETTER organic composts & are the kind of
composts most gardeners would be making at home.

Personally I would not want to forgo my access to free llama poo (from
llamas fed nothing chemicalized or gross), & I do use steer manure compost
merely because it is cheap, but anyone who wasn't cheap-ass like me &
wanted the BEST for their garden would have far fewer pollutants by
avoiding commercially prepared manure composts which are a nightmare of
chemical pollutants both from commercial feeds & from from

It takes almost no concession to "go vegan" for someone who is already an
organic gardener. It would mean using kelp instead of fish fertilizer,
which has the added bonus of not making the garden smell like a shit hole
full of rotting fish. Going vegan would mean using alfalfa powder in lieu
of bonemeal or other rendering plant fertilizers, which has the
side-benifit of not introducing prions into the gardened environment &
keeps keeps dogs & racoons from thinking there must be something meaty to
dig up in a freshly planted & bonemealed bed.

I'm no vegan but there were too many additional reasons to avoid
waist-meat byproducts for gardening. I prefer kelp & alfalfa to rendering
plant waste products. It is moving UP the scale of quality & benefit. And
any gardener who is not a closeminded snit would at least want to
understand the benefits & know something about vegan-gardening techniques,
borrowing what suits & not what doesn't.

Some of it may be assessed as merely political, religious, or emotional,
as well as an absurdly exaggerated response to the OVER-exploitaiton of
animal life causing some to feel that no exploitation of any kind should
occur (which unfortunately would be as fast a road to animal extinction as
any imaginable, if everyone on earth did suddenly follow such cultic
thinking). Still, not wanting to fertilize the garden with rendered
kittens & puppies & roadkill (which are indeed major ingredients in
fertilizers that incorporate rendering plant sludge), that might be an
emotional choice because its so icky, but it is easy to understand as even
you probably wouldn't be running kittens through meat grinders as a
regular part of our home composting system if you had to make it rather
than buy it done for you so you can distance yourself from the process.

Or it can be an ecological choice because non-meat alternatives are
frequently less polluted (due to the chemicals & pharmaceuticals in
livestock feeds that do pollute bonemeal & commercial manure products). Or
based on a reasoned sociopolitical or personal-moral choice not to support
rendering plants & slaughter houses by buying products reliant on killing
animals by the millions. Not wanting to be part of that system is pretty
decent, if you ask me, just so long as it doesn't extend to categorizing
as immoral anyone who raises or hunts their own meat & other idiot
exaggerations.

Or on the religious basis a Jewish household wouldn't want rendered swine
in their yard & Hindus wouldn't want rendered cattle in their gardens --
anything with rendering plant matter in it will have all these animals in
the mix.

Plus, surprisingly enough, some vegan methods turn out to be the ones with
superior results for the garden, so some of it may be adaptable even by
people who aren't concerned with how many crunched up bones of kittens &
puppies & chickens & cows & diseased livestock & miscellaneous
slaughterhouse garbage & all-round suffering went into their meat-based
garden products.

So while I might share a small part of your feeling because I regard the
special language & attitude of so much of "Veganic" gardening movement
(promoted by the likes of the "Gentle World Vegan Paradigm Center" I kid
you not) to be New Age Noodle Braindamaged Dunce-hat Doofy-Wussy-Weanie &
Cultic, nevertheless the basic choice not to garden with the blood & bones
& guts of all manner of wild & domestic animals can be a completely
rational & superior choice. Despite that if veganism were enforced as the
only choice for all people, the repurcussions would impact negatively the
very animal population that incites the worst blindered sentimental
decisionmaking of an irrationally serious vegan.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Old 14-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Doug Kanter

"paghat" wrote in message
news
It would mean using kelp instead of fish fertilizer,
which has the added bonus of not making the garden smell like a shit hole
full of rotting fish.

I stand mostly corrected. However, as a fisherman, I take moderate offense
at that last remark. :-)

Old 15-06-2005, 05:44 AM
Doug Kanter

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:56:57 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

opined:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
.. .
On 6/14/05 7:32 AM, in article
, "Jennifer"
wrote:

Alex wrote:
How are they made, and what are they made of?

I'm looking into making them myself, but find it hard
to find some how-to materials online.

Looks like it's basically just compost and miscellaneous other plant
materials.

http://www.vegfamily.com/amy-olga/tip4.htm

http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/vegorg.php

--
Jennifer

And here I was wondering if he was composting vegans!

Vegan-Organic Principles? Give me a f..king break. No animal products -
do
they think horses and cows suffer if we use their manure??? :-)

No, but vegans don't use any animals products in anything, including
leather or
any other form of animal byproduct. What's the big deal and why so
hostile?

Bad day in the office. Sorry.

I'm slowly going vegan, myself. Currently vegetarian lacto-ovo.

I'm not sure about the belief system behind this. Disclaimer: The long-term
vegetarians I'm acquainted with cut their teeth on recipes from the original
Moosewood cookbook. All these people are now obese, due (I suppose) in no
small part to the enormous presence of cheese in those recipes. Take away
the cheese, and how much effort does it take to find the necessary proteins?
Is it still the grain & legume combo that does the trick?

Old 15-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]Take away
the cheese, and how much effort does it take to find the necessary proteins?
Is it still the grain & legume combo that does the trick?

It does the trick, but it ain't easy. You need the right combo of amino
acids, and plants just don't have the same range of these as animals do.
This means that you really need to know what foods contain what.
Grains and legumes are the core, but oddly enough other plants matter,
too, even letuuce and spinach. (That's why Popeye is such a powerhouse.
:-)) If you're serious, there's lots of good data out there. But bewa
there's more junk and danegrous data on the 'net than good stuff. Every
loonie now posts his idiocy on the web.

Also, many vegetarians and vegans overdo the carbs, mostly because carbs
don't have much in the way of amino acids, minerals, etc by weight, so
people eat more in order to get sufficient amounts of these nutrients.
IOW, whole grains are essential if you want to go vegetarian/vegan. (I
always think of aliens when I hear "vegan" - you know, those blue
fuzzballs from Vega IV. :-) Whole grains are essential in any diet,
actually.

Recent work on fats indicates that the wide-spread belief that animal
fats are bad for you is not only wrong, it's dangerously wrong,
especially when it comes to brain development in infants and toddlers,
and atherosclerosis in adults (-- heart attacks, strokes). There is
also some worrying evidence that low animal fat intake may be implicated
in the onset of MS. (MS is genetically conditioned - you develop it if
your genotype makes you susceptible to certain environmental factors.
Food is part of your enviuronment, as should be obvious.)

Me, I don't care what you eat, unless you get all religious about it.
But please note that children, especially infants and toddlers, need
animal fats and meats, and should not be deprived of them. You can
introduce a more vegetarian diet as they grow, but AFAICT a vegan diet
before puberty is completed is not healthy. Humans are omnivores, not
herbivores or carnivores.

The best advice is Aristotle's, still.
Old 16-06-2005, 04:29 AM
peter

"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Alex wrote:
How are they made, and what are they made of?

I'm looking into making them myself, but find it hard
to find some how-to materials online.

Looks like it's basically just compost and miscellaneous other plant
materials.

http://www.vegfamily.com/amy-olga/tip4.htm

http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/vegorg.php

--
Jennifer

I enjoyed those links, thanks Jennifer

Old 16-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Philip Lewis

"Alex" writes:
How are they made, and what are they made of?

I'm looking into making them myself, but find it hard
to find some how-to materials online.

relatively easy...
you need a chipper/shreader, a vegan, and a compost heap.

Now, Go rent/watch the movie Fargo.

--
be safe.
flip

Old 18-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Alex

"Jennifer" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
Alex wrote:
How are they made, and what are they made of?

I'm looking into making them myself, but find it hard
to find some how-to materials online.

Looks like it's basically just compost and miscellaneous other plant
materials.

http://www.vegfamily.com/amy-olga/tip4.htm

http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/vegorg.php

Jennifer, thanks a lot for those links.

Alex

Old 18-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

Vegan-Organic Principles? Give me a f..king break. No animal products -
do
they think horses and cows suffer if we use their manure??? :-)

Yes Doug. It's stealing their resources, which is dishonest and
manipulative. Horses need their poop to grow more grass to eat.

If God intended you to misappropriate horse manure to put on your
garden. would he have designed horses to just poop at random on their
own pasture/dinner, and grow more grass? Of course not. He would have
designed them to do it in huge litter trays. Or at least, straight into
plastic bags near the roadside.

Janet

OK. If you're so smart, how do YOU think it gets into those bags, if the
horses aren't doing what you said? You think people package it? That's
insane, Janet.

Old 18-06-2005, 09:44 PM
extincted

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

Vegan-Organic Principles? Give me a f..king break. No animal products - do
they think horses and cows suffer if we use their manure??? :-)

Yes Doug. It's stealing their resources, which is dishonest and
manipulative. Horses need their poop to grow more grass to eat.

If God intended you to misappropriate horse manure to put on your
garden. would he have designed horses to just poop at random on their
own pasture/dinner, and grow more grass? Of course not. He would have
designed them to do it in huge litter trays. Or at least, straight into
plastic bags near the roadside.

Janet

This vegans a closing their intel to this horse important product, while
they eat food which is grown on it, or for example electricity use which
is also product of far more polution, radiation, coal, weird
Old 19-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Wolf Kirchmeir

extincted wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:

[...]

What's really wierd is that so many people don't recognise irony when
they see it. I guess literature just isn't taught in schools anymore.
Just "language arts."
Old 19-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Wolf Kirchmeir contains these words:

extincted wrote:

This vegans a closing their intel to this horse important product,
while
they eat food which is grown on it, or for example electricity use
which
is also product of far more polution, radiation, coal, weird

What's really wierd is that so many people don't recognise irony when
they see it.
I guess literature just isn't taught in schools anymore.
Just "language arts."

If his garbled post was the product of "language arts" teaching, your
education system is deep in the "horse important product".

We already know this to be the case. Last week, my son's school ran an
evening orientation event for students who're considering taking AP
(advanced placement) courses next semester. The printed material from the AP
English teacher contained two spelling errors and a handful of word/phrase
combinations which were questionable, at best. They were the type of thing
which, if your child wrote them, you'd say "Now....those work, but they're
awkward. They don't 'read well'. Let's talk about this and see if we can
make them more elegant".