Old 06-12-2003, 01:32 AM
bnd777

Default Tree suggestions please

Need a tall evergreen tree (but definitely not a Conifer) that has non
invasive roots because it will be close to a stone garden wall and will be
happy in very deep dry sandy soil on a gravel subase ..........trying to
keep the soil moist in summer even with tons of compost is a nightmare

Old 06-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Larry Stoter

bnd777 wrote:

Need a tall evergreen tree (but definitely not a Conifer) that has non
invasive roots because it will be close to a stone garden wall and will be
happy in very deep dry sandy soil on a gravel subase ..........trying to
keep the soil moist in summer even with tons of compost is a nightmare

Euclyptus?
--
Larry Stoter
Old 06-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Franz Heymann

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
. co.uk...
bnd777 wrote:

Need a tall evergreen tree (but definitely not a Conifer) that has non
invasive roots because it will be close to a stone garden wall and will

be
happy in very deep dry sandy soil on a gravel subase ..........trying to
keep the soil moist in summer even with tons of compost is a nightmare

Euclyptus?

Excellent choice, as long as you realise that it might not be hardy in those
parts of the country where that matters

Franz

Old 06-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Sacha

bnd7776/12/03 1:18
Need a tall evergreen tree (but definitely not a Conifer) that has non
invasive roots because it will be close to a stone garden wall and will be
happy in very deep dry sandy soil on a gravel subase ..........trying to
keep the soil moist in summer even with tons of compost is a nightmare

It depends a bit on where you live but what about a Myrtus luma apiculata -
that's a Med. type tree which will be very happy with dry roots most of the
time. It's evergreen, has small white flowers and a lovely bark as the tree
ages.
Hilliers says that it grows best in full sun, in mild maritime climates,
though the maritime isn't necessary. We have four or five in the garden,
some of which are self-seeded and one is growing in quite a bit of shade!
Again, in a mild climate, I'd suggest a Hoheria 'Glory of Amlwch' and this
evergreen species will need wall protection because ours can lose its leaves
in cold winters. They flower in July/August with us. Another possible is
Azara microphylla which has scented yellow flowers in early spring. We get
frost here in winter to -7 at its worst, I think. The Azara needs wall
protection, except in mild climates, so could be good for you. The best
thing.
A Magnolia grandiflora is the classic tree to grow against a wall and
another possible, depending o location is an Acacia (mimosa).
If you tell us where you live, it would help to narrow things down a bit
more.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 06-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 01:18:50 +0000 (UTC), bnd777 wrote:

Need a tall evergreen tree (but definitely not a Conifer) that has non
invasive roots because it will be close to a stone garden wall and will be
happy in very deep dry sandy soil on a gravel subase ..........trying to
keep the soil moist in summer even with tons of compost is a nightmare

Arbutus menziesii

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 06-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Registered User

Location: East Yorkshire

I'd go for Euclyptus gunnii myself, but water it well in the first two summers and try adding some compost when planting, plus a bit of mulch if possible. Then it should get away well and grow like mad for a few years.

They look great if branches are chopped out to make them a bit better shape when older and the bark is gorgous!
__________________
I'm thinking of starting a lawn laying business and calling it Sodding Perfection
Old 07-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Larry Stoter

bnd777 wrote:

Need a tall evergreen tree (but definitely not a Conifer) that has non
invasive roots because it will be close to a stone garden wall and will

be
happy in very deep dry sandy soil on a gravel subase ..........trying to
keep the soil moist in summer even with tons of compost is a nightmare

Euclyptus?

Excellent choice, as long as you realise that it might not be hardy in those
parts of the country where that matters

Franz

Even if a Euclyptus gets severely damaged by frost, provided it has been
established for several years, there is a very good chance that it will
shoot from the roots.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 07-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Franz Heymann

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
o.uk...

bnd777 wrote:

Need a tall evergreen tree (but definitely not a Conifer) that has

non
invasive roots because it will be close to a stone garden wall and

will
be
happy in very deep dry sandy soil on a gravel subase

...........trying to
keep the soil moist in summer even with tons of compost is a

nightmare

Euclyptus?

Excellent choice, as long as you realise that it might not be hardy in

those
parts of the country where that matters

Franz

Even if a Euclyptus gets severely damaged by frost, provided it has been
established for several years, there is a very good chance that it will
shoot from the roots.

That is so. However, the OP specifically asked for " a tall evergreen tree
". If the Eucalyptus has to be continually regrown from the roots, it will
never become a tall tree.

Franz

Old 07-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

Need a tall evergreen tree (but definitely not a Conifer) that has non
invasive roots because it will be close to a stone garden wall and will be
happy in very deep dry sandy soil on a gravel subase ..........trying to
keep the soil moist in summer even with tons of compost is a nightmare

If you exclude conifers, evergreen trees are in the minority, it
seems. Whether any of the following will be tall enough for you, or
hardy enough, or whether they'll take dry sandy soil, I don't know,
but it'll give you some suggestions to follow up.

Hoheria angustifolia
Nothofagus betuloides
Nothofagus dombeyi
Quercus agrifolia
Quercus Ilex (Holm oak)
Quercus suber (cork oak)
Umbellularia californica
Ilex aquifolium (holly) varieties
Eucryphia nymansensis (needs an acid soil)
Embothrium coccinem
Photinia davidiana

--
Chris

Old 07-12-2003, 10:11 PM
bnd777

Thanks for all the ideas ......will now look them up for more info

Soil is definitely alkaline and spot the I need the tree for can get a
little wind blown at times

Old 07-12-2003, 10:31 PM
bnd777

Thanks for all the ideas ......will now look them up for more info

Soil is definitely alkaline and spot the I need the tree for can get a
little wind blown at times

Insect Spray For Tree Suggestions, Please. (leaves being eaten) Robert11 Lawns 5 01-05-2006 10:56 PM
Tree Suggestions Please? Sue Gardening 0 30-09-2003 01:32 AM
Newbie: Small tree suggestions please Andrew Hargreaves United Kingdom 10 08-07-2003 11:41 PM
Plant/Tree Suggestions Please Andy United Kingdom 7 20-06-2003 03:20 PM
Tree suggestions please zhanataya Gardening 7 14-03-2003 06:56 PM