Old 07-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Betsy

I'm not ignoring anyone. Thanks for any help you've offered. I bought a
can of starter spray last night, and next time I need to cut the grass, I'm
going to try it.

"sherwindu" wrote in message
Premium gas has nothing to do with her lawnmower. It is for high
compression
engines, which lawnmowers don't have. Don't waste you money on this. The
key issue is to get rid of any stale gas with fresh gas. Low octane gas
is good enough. I wonder
if Betsy is just ignoring my suggestions, or she missed my
comments?

Sherwin D.

benzette wrote:

Is it harder then before to pull start or is it just taking more pulls
to start it?

Maybe try premium gas. Let it run out of gas before putting in new
premium or drain the other gas out.

Old 07-09-2005, 06:33 PM
iSuspectFoulPlay

I had a lawnmower (a Murray) last 10 years and the next one lasted 2.
They do NOT make them well anymore. Try removing the carb and look for
the clogged needle. You should not have to push the primer bulb more
than 3-5x.

A can of carb cleaner is 2 bucks. Soak it overnight to remove deposits.
Never let the mower come to less than 1/4 tank of gas.

Check your oil level too... many mowers have a low-oil cutout switch
which won't let it start or run if the oil level is too low. But do not
overfill your oil either.

Betsy wrote:
It's not very old--2000. And the lawnmower he owns is 15 years old, and
started easily. There is a lot more initial resistance on the starter rope,
but give it a good pull and it engages the engine.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"Betsy" wrote in message

Oh, and by the way, he let me try to start his lawn mower. I had no
trouble. The rope gives a lot of resistance, but you can feel it
engaging the motor. I don't get that kind of feedback from mine.

Yet he insists there is nothing wrong with mine.

Does anybody have any ideas before I take it to another repair shop and
have to pay another $80? I am pretty strong, but unwilling to destroy my
arm yanking on this crank.

He said it is old, and he may be right. If you are not getting much
resistance, it could be because there is not enough compression, meaning
it is old, and worn. Add to that an old plug, weak magneto = no start.
could be a few other things also. Just how old is it? What engine?

Old 08-09-2005, 05:56 AM
sherwindu

Well, it seems like you are listening to the wrong people.

Starter spray might get your mower started, and then again, it may not.
It is certainly not a long term fix, and using it repeatedly can damage
your mower. Did you check the other things like the air filter, spark to
plug, bad gas? If you can't do those things, it's time to take it in for
service. If your engine starts with the starter spray, you can pretty much
rule out the spark plug and electronics, and concentrate on the fuel
quality and air filter.

Sherwin D.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Amun

It could be, dirt in carb, bad/ misadjusted/weak ignition module,
pinched
spark plug wire, bent flyweel key, bad plug.
But it's impossible to tell from a usenet post.

These things are almost all cheap for parts to fix, but labour could

cost
$100 or more.

It would help to know if the motor is a briggs & stratton, tecumeth, or

some
other make, but I'm going to assume Briggs.

Offhand I'd check the spark plug wire is not pinched/cut in the
starter-flywheel shroud where it goes out to the spark plug since that

was
removed shortly before the problems began. (to change the pullcord)
Even an experienced person can do this easily if they aren't careful as
there is only a slight bend in one spot for the wire to pass through

without
being damaged

If you can get the mower into the dark, try to start it and watch to see

if
little faint blue sparks may be going right through the wire to the

engine
case

Depending on the mower this wire can be part of the coil assembly, or
replaceable separately.
And sometimes just a bit of black electrical tape/shrinkwrap over the

wire
can get you going again.

A broken ignition wire is highly unlikely, but not impossible. I would

do a more
positive test of taking the plug out of the mower, but leaving it

connected to it's
lead wire. Then set the body of the plug next to a large metal surface

of the mower.
Pulling the starter cord should then produce a healthy spark at the

plug. If it doesn't,
she has an ignition problem such as a bad plug, ignition coil, etc.

But as already said, this is just an internet guess.

AMUN

The whole part of the gas was in passing, but not even an issue here.

Since the OP never did say what make the engine is, all of us are guessing

But as the original post said the lawnmower never had any problems.

Then the rope broke and was replaced.

Then it ran good for a while, then later acted up

On newer Briggs motors you have to pull the whole flyweel cover/shroud off
the get to the rope.
If you look at the spark plug wire it comes off the coil, and just sits in
one little bend between the flywheel shroud and the block.

When putting the cover back if the wire is in the wrong spot it gets
pinched.

And may not cut through right away but the mower vibration finishes it off.
A bit of moisture, and no spark

Then the spark may jump to the block rather than going to the plug.
if only the odd weak spark makes it to the plug, it will be hard to start,
but may still fire up if pulled fast enough

It's only a guess, but it would cause all the symptoms that were described

AMUN

Old 09-09-2005, 12:48 AM
Betsy

That sounds pretty plausible. It is a B&S engine, & I did basically have to
take it apart to replace the starter rope. I guess I need to take it apart
again to see if I pinched something?

. ..

Old 09-09-2005, 01:55 AM
Amun

No need to take anything apart yet.

Look at where the spark plug wire goes back to the engine.

There is a very small "outward bend" in the flywheel shroud where the wire
should pass through.

If the wire is not there, pull off the cover and check the wire for ANY
possible damage.

AMUN

"Betsy" wrote in message
That sounds pretty plausible. It is a B&S engine, & I did basically have

take it apart to replace the starter rope. I guess I need to take it

apart
again to see if I pinched something?

. ..

Old 09-09-2005, 02:30 AM
Steve B.

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:56:42 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

Well, it seems like you are listening to the wrong people.

Starter spray might get your mower started, and then again, it may not.
It is certainly not a long term fix, and using it repeatedly can damage
your mower. Did you check the other things like the air filter, spark to
plug, bad gas? If you can't do those things, it's time to take it in for
service. If your engine starts with the starter spray, you can pretty much
rule out the spark plug and electronics, and concentrate on the fuel
quality and air filter.

Sherwin D.

From what she describes the engine is tired and none of the current
push mower engines are worth the cost of a rebuild. Even on the off
chance that you are right that starting fluid will eventually cause a
problem it will have worn completely out long before the starting
fluid gets it

Steve B.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:51 AM
Oscar_Lives

YOU NEED A NEW MOWER. DON'T BE SUCH A CHEAP ****--BUY A NEW ONE AND BE DONE
WITH IT.

STOP WHINING.

"Betsy" wrote in message
Thanks.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:24 AM
Douglas F.

Next time you take it in, try starting it in front of the super tech to show
how you can't start it. Is there a choke on it? If so, try choking it for
a couple of cranks and then crank with no or half choke.

"Betsy" wrote in message
Thanks.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:51 AM
Betsy

Oh, believe me, I already did that. After many pulls I did get it started
by pushing it away from me as I yanked. My arm still hurts. I don't think
I'd have been able to start it at all if he hadn't already gotten it
started. And as soon as I got it home it wouldn't cooperate again--took
almost 30 pulls to get it started. Like I said, my arm still hurts.

"Douglas F." wrote in message
news:1126239814.e2ec308bacd28887f1941b04357868f0@t eranews...
Next time you take it in, try starting it in front of the super tech to
show
how you can't start it. Is there a choke on it? If so, try choking it
for
a couple of cranks and then crank with no or half choke.

"Betsy" wrote in message
Thanks.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:02 AM
chip

wrote:

Well, it seems like you are listening to the wrong people.

Starter spray might get your mower started, and then again, it may not.
It is certainly not a long term fix, and using it repeatedly can damage
your mower. Did you check the other things like the air filter, spark to
plug, bad gas? If you can't do those things, it's time to take it in for
service. If your engine starts with the starter spray, you can pretty much
rule out the spark plug and electronics, and concentrate on the fuel
quality and air filter.

Sherwin D.

From what she describes the engine is tired and none of the current
push mower engines are worth the cost of a rebuild. Even on the off
chance that you are right that starting fluid will eventually cause a
problem it will have worn completely out long before the starting
fluid gets it

Steve B.

do i have to post again? It needs a valve job!!
Chip
Old 10-09-2005, 04:19 AM
Steveo

chip wrote:
do i have to post again?

Nope.

It needs a valve job!!

She needs a new mower, cuz the rest of it is wore out too.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

I AGREE !!!! I can't believe how many post on a wore out 100.00 mower.
All because it's owned by a woman.
__________________
15 yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumsea
Honda
Kawasaki