Old 14-06-2006, 02:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Lou Leciejewski

Default New Lawn Mower Opinion?

I am looking to buy a new lawn mower and would appreciate opinions on
SEARS Craftsman vs Toro. For the SEARS I am looking at the Craftsman
Model 37073 that is a bagging, mulcher and side discharge mower witb
the "Z Start" (30% easier start). For the Toro, I am looking at the
Super Recycler Model 20056 that, like the Craftsman, is a mulcher,
bagger and side discharge mower. These Super Recyclers have the 5 year
warranty and the Sears Craftsman has 2 years. The Toro Super Recyclers
are at $500 and the Sears at approximately $379. The Toro Super
Recyclers seem to be available only thru Toro dealers.

Lastly, since I am getting older I was wondering about the electric
start option for either of the above mowers. I assume that electric key
start means there is a battery and I wonder how long they last and how
much to replace. I also think that since it is elelctric start, the
pull start on the mower (in case the battery is dead) is much harder to
start than if I just go with the Z Start or Toro Easy Pull that is
guaranteed to start on one or two easy pulls.

I appreciate any opinions regarding these two mowers. Thnaks in
advance!

Lou

Old 14-06-2006, 05:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Consider that Sears only guarantees the availability of repair parts for
one year now.

I had a tiller with EZ Pull last year. On the fourth use I pulled the cord
and it got stuck. Brought in in for repair and after a week they said the
part needed to repair it was on backorder but had no idea when they could
get it. After a couple of weeks I gave up and returned it. Maybe things
have improved this year, who knows, but I am hesitant of the EZ pull thing
now.

Old 14-06-2006, 06:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mel-Donnie Kelly

Honda

Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down
town Yountsville. Managers of the water works.
http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/doc

http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/MelDonniesBluebird

Old 14-06-2006, 08:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
unknown

I own a super recycler, and have used it heavily for a year. It is really
well made, extreemly manuverable and it has started on the first pull each
time. With the 5 year top to bottom warranty it is a very good choice. If
mine were stolen or whatever I would just go get one just like it without
looking at anything else.
Happy mowing.
. ..

Old 14-06-2006, 11:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mack

Honda also. Mine is 2 years old now & still starts on the first pull.

Old 16-06-2006, 08:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mary Beth

"FDR" wrote in message

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Consider that Sears only guarantees the availability of repair parts for
one year now.

I had a tiller with EZ Pull last year. On the fourth use I pulled the
cord and it got stuck. Brought in in for repair and after a week they
said the part needed to repair it was on backorder but had no idea when
they could get it. After a couple of weeks I gave up and returned it.
Maybe things have improved this year, who knows, but I am hesitant of the
EZ pull thing now.

This isn't a lawn mower, but I had very similar problems with buying a
vacuum cleaner from Sears. If anything goes bad, they have to try to *fix*
it first, they will not do an even swap, if they can avoid it at all costs!

Friend of mine recommended Best Buy, (yeah, I'm not sure if they sell lawn
mowers), but with *everything else* they will give you a straight up swap
for new, IF you buy the extended warranty. This has worked great for many
dog owners.

I just added this to say I'd not buy *anything* from Sears any more, only
from places that will do a new swap if anything goes wrong. I had to wait
two weeks for the part the first time my vac went. By the time I got it
back, I'd had fifteen more dogs worth of fur! G

MaryBeth who vouches for Toro, as a very happy customer

Old 22-06-2006, 04:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Consumer Reports magazine
is a good place to start

i have a Yard Machines by MTD,
which i'm happy with
[i have a small lawn though]

waterboy

Old 24-06-2006, 12:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Consumer Reports is a terrible place to start.
They could not care less about quality, their primary concern is safety
which is not always the most important thing.
--
Art

good point, for lawnmowers
quality is sometimes a preference

they have repair ratings for other things,
like refrigerators, autos, etc;
i don't remember for lawnmowers

waterboy