Old 11-07-2006, 01:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Martin

Default Brown grass edges and tips....help (0/1)

Rob,

I can't claim to speak for others. In my case, the cost of the
complete service was comparable to the cost of buying the materials
myself at retail prices. However, based on the poor results the lawn
service obtained, I'm taking care of the lawn myself again.

I could add that some people are allergic or sensitive to some lawn
treatments, especially pestacides (the use of which vs. organic
methods is another topic altogether) and don't want to expose
themselves to lawn treatment materials.

There is also the question of expertise. Growing grass isn't rocket
science, but given the volume of Usenet traffic, books, magazines,
radio shows, etc. about lawn problems, people may turn to
"professionals" in an attempt to obtain better results.

Finally, if people want to put their disposable income into lawn care
and use their time for something else, that's fine with me.
Personally, I enjoy yardwork, or I'd buy a condo, but obviously, that
answer doesn't work for everyone.

Martin

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:47:23 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

Martin wrote in message ...
I have a similar problem. In addition to the straw appearance, my lawn
seemed to have stopped growing. I also noticed numerous spots where
animals had apparently "core aerated" the lawn, probably in search of
grubs.

For reference, I'm in Southern New Jersey and have an irrigation
system.

Based on not wanting to repeat last year (described below), I applied
the following:

- Spectracide Grub Stop at the recommended rate.
- Bayer Fungus Control. I kind of miscalculated, and put down about 5
lbs. per 1000 ft**2 instead of 3.

The lawn seems to be growing again.

I have a problem like this every year. Last year, I had a lawn service
fertilize. During early spring, the lawn looked great - check the
photo from May, 2005. However, it had to be cut three time a week. By
late July it was awful. My theory was that the service applied too
much nitrogen, causing all top growth and no roots.

Martin. Without wanting to sound offensive, why do so many Americans
seemingly hire people to care for their lawns? It just seems bizarre to me.
I may understand if people had really big properties and needed gardeners
but this doesn't seem to be the case. Can you shed some light on it for me
please.

rob

Old 11-07-2006, 01:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

George.com wrote:
Martin wrote in message ...
[...]

Can't speak for Martin, but as an American, I'll give you my opinion.

People have it done because it's convenient and reasonably priced
(courtesy of Mexico). I do my own, which is about a 1/3 acre of lawn,
because it's one good way to get a little excercise in. But today,
people have a lot less time. Thirty years ago, people tended to have
more fixed work schedules. Now, it's not unusual for people to be
traveling more on business, working longer/irregular hours, plus taking
kids to soccer, little league, 2 people in the family working full
time, etc. So, just knowing that the lawn is taken care of for a
reasonable price sounds like a good deal.

When I moved in, my next door neighbor, a Dr, told me he uses a service
because he doesn't want the hassle of getting fertilizer, chemicals,
etc. Plus, beyond cutting grass, you have to know what you are doing.
There is definitely value in a good lawn service. For example, they
see many lawns and should be able to correctly identify pest or disease
problems.

Funny thing though. If you look at the border line between me and the
Dr, on my side it's nice, thick lush grass. On his side it instantly
turns to crap. Sparce grass, full of weeds, ground chewed up at mower
turn around points, looks like hell. It really would make a great
marketing photo for a lawn service if it were only the other way
around! But there are good services out there. My friend has one and
his lawn looks fantastic.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

Default Lawncare -was Brown grass edges and tips....help (0/1)

"George.com" wrote:
Without wanting to sound offensive, why do so many Americans
seemingly hire people to care for their lawns? It just seems bizarre to
me.

The service industry is a big part of our economy, from pizza to brain
surgery. Why should lawncare be any different?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 12-07-2006, 11:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
Without wanting to sound offensive, why do so many Americans
seemingly hire people to care for their lawns? It just seems bizarre to
me.

The service industry is a big part of our economy, from pizza to brain
surgery. Why should lawncare be any different?

increasingly here to (New Zealand). Pizza can be delivered, thats ok as I
like pizza. I also like caring for my lawn. Seems a waste of time having one
and letting someone else look after it. If you simply want some green
outside but not the hassle of caring for it why would you care too much what
it looks like.

rob

Old 12-07-2006, 06:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

On 12 Jul 2006 01:37:11 GMT, Steveo wrote:

"George.com" wrote:
Without wanting to sound offensive, why do so many Americans
seemingly hire people to care for their lawns? It just seems bizarre to
me.

The service industry is a big part of our economy, from pizza to brain
surgery. Why should lawncare be any different?

When I want something done right, or don't have time to do it right, I
usually get someone else to do it.

This include pizza and brain surgery, so I understand why people hire
others for their yard work.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Old 13-07-2006, 06:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"JimR" wrote in message
.net...
For many it's probably a matter of available hours. My house is on 1 acre
(~4,000 sq meters) waterfront, with about half of it being lawn, the
remainder in gardens or oak hammock.

I understand time in the hammock is important.

rob

Old 13-07-2006, 06:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
Without wanting to sound offensive, why do so many Americans
seemingly hire people to care for their lawns? It just seems bizarre
to me.

The service industry is a big part of our economy, from pizza to brain
surgery. Why should lawncare be any different?

increasingly here to (New Zealand). Pizza can be delivered, thats ok as

like pizza. I also like caring for my lawn. Seems a waste of time having
one and letting someone else look after it.

Some have it done because of time constraints, others have it cared for
because they don't know much about it. Some are just lazy.

Nothing at all bizarre about it.

I understand the time constraint bit, some are just too busy, as well as
having a large section that needs constant care. Some sized estates do need
gardeners. I guess I just roll my eyes at people who pay good money to
others for a perfect lawn whereas all it is to them is a 'trophy' to match
their nice house and nice car. Making lawns a consumer item, to more
accurately define my original question, strikes me as being plain dumb. I
guess that reflects your service industry statement Steve, the ever
increasing dreep of capitalism in to new 'markets'. In many ways one of the
things wrong about our current environmental practises. To my mind, just
dumb.

rob

Old 13-07-2006, 03:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
[...]

Professional lawncare is hardly a new market.

have to take your word on that Steve as you are a little closer to the
action than me. We have a thriving lawn mowing/dos laying business in NZ but
not yet the micromanagement style that the US seems to have. Personally I
hope we don't.

In many ways one
of the things wrong about our current environmental practises. To my
mind, just dumb.

rob

Not everyone is an expert in grounds care like you are Rob, hence the need
for the trained professional. That's true with most things, not just
agriculture.

Not an expert Steve, not at all. I have learnt stuff but trial and error and
talking to others has given me info and I am still learning by doing. Thats
not really the point though.

My dad, as an example, simply wants a green lawn and it kept cut. He has
grown grass/lawn (being an ex dairy farmer in younger days) for 1/2 a
century. He is old enough now he cant be bothered cutting it himself so he
gets a 'little man' in to do it for him. He wants to enjoy himself doing
other things. I have no issue with that philosophy. He doesn't however care
too much what type of grass he has, whether it is mowed in strips or whether
he has some board leaf weed in it. If it is green and growing he is
comfortable. He then doesn't bother getting the 'little man' to spray it or
fertilise it or whatever. If he wants that done he is able to himself.

Maybe we have a different philosophy than the US in this area. I however
just can't see the point of trophy lawns as a consumer item. Other people
will disagree vehermently with my opinion, so be it.

rob

Old 13-07-2006, 03:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"George.com" wrote in message

"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
[...]

if I sound like an expert Steve it is because I am a know all *******. If
you were being sarcastic with that comment then you have already figured me
out.

rob

Old 13-07-2006, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

George.com wrote:
Martin. Without wanting to sound offensive, why do so many Americans
seemingly hire people to care for their lawns? It just seems bizarre to me.
I may understand if people had really big properties and needed gardeners
but this doesn't seem to be the case. Can you shed some light on it for me
please.

rob

Because we have 4 million Mexicans to keep busy.

--
Art
Old 14-07-2006, 01:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JimR

For many it's probably a matter of available hours. My house is on 1 acre
(~4,000 sq meters) waterfront, with about half of it being lawn, the
remainder in gardens or oak hammock. I use a lawn service to mow it each
week because it would take me 4-5 manhours to mow and trim, and those are
hours I can spend in the wood shop, or fishing in the lake, or --- .
Especially when I'm working, there aren't enough hours in the week to do my
own lawn care and the other tasks around the house that need doing.

Regards --