Old 15-09-2006, 11:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Ping Eggs

Have you ever planted crown vetch from seed?
Old 16-09-2006, 03:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo said:

Have you ever planted crown vetch from seed?

Yup. Getting ready to fix some nitrogen somewhere? =)

Coronilla varia is a pretty useful plant, as are most legumes. But, it can
get outta hand VERY easily, especially once it's established and starts
sending out rhizomes.

Fresh seed is the best. If it's been stored, it's best to soak it for 12
hours or so, in warm water. Direct sow it in the fall, and it should
germinate rather quickly. It also won't grow in the shade, IIRC.

Apologies for the delay in replying. I left the house at 0430, and just got
home, sigh. =/

HTH
--
Eggs

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers?
Old 16-09-2006, 05:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo said:

wrote:
Steveo said:

Have you ever planted crown vetch from seed?

Yup. Getting ready to fix some nitrogen somewhere? =)

Coronilla varia is a pretty useful plant, as are most legumes. But, it
can get outta hand VERY easily, especially once it's established and
starts sending out rhizomes.

Fresh seed is the best. If it's been stored, it's best to soak it for 12
hours or so, in warm water. Direct sow it in the fall, and it should
germinate rather quickly. It also won't grow in the shade, IIRC.

Apologies for the delay in replying. I left the house at 0430, and just
got home, sigh. =/

HTH

Yeah good to go with your advice so far man. I inoculated the seed using
milk and molasses for the slurry and planted it 10 days ago on a drainage
culvert here in N. Ohio. It's coming up like gang busters so I'm good to go
with germination.

Perhaps a bit early on your planting, though. Any chance to reseed at a
more "natural" time? And, what rate did you sow? I think the MoDOT uses
15lb per acre, along highways and ditches, here.

My question is.. should I re-straw it right before old man frost shows up
in order to protect it? It won't go to seed this year and the plants are
barely creeping through the cover straw today. I'm late in the season for
establishment, and yet perfect for germination if you get my drift.

Ya, but germination at an un-natural time. Fall sowing is optimum because
that's when the seeds sow, naturally. Straw would be a good idea. It's a
perennial, so seeding the first year (which it rarely does) is pretty much
moot. Protect those roots!

Will it re-grow from the young tubar's next spring?

Lemme check my crystal ball... =P

Seriously, *some* will probably survive. We're talking an extremely short
growing season. A lot depends on the weather. A late winter gives the
plants more time to mature. Likewise, with a mild winter. OTOH, it could go
the other way. Anything you can do to help them is better for the plant,
and less work for you. Get through this first winter with it, and it
will go like gangbusters next year. =)

--
Eggs

-Every snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.
Old 16-09-2006, 04:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I planted from seed after a brief freezing of the seed in late autumn.
It germinated in the early spring. Now I am battling to keep in place.
It is difficult to keep from encroaching upon unwanted locations. So be
careful with this one!
Bittersweet

Old 18-09-2006, 12:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

" wrote:
I planted from seed after a brief freezing of the seed in late autumn.
It germinated in the early spring. Now I am battling to keep in place.
It is difficult to keep from encroaching upon unwanted locations. So be
careful with this one!
Bittersweet

Yeah it's on a drainage ditch not close to much of anything else. I've
heard three way herbicide controls it, so I'll find out in a year or two.

Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
Ping Eggs OT Clark[_2_] Lawns 4 13-09-2007 12:52 PM
PING PING Jan -ED Ponds 0 30-06-2006 04:46 PM
Pomacea bridgesii Eggs Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 05:56 AM
C. japonica with eggs! Victor M. Martinez Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 17-02-2003 09:21 PM