Old 02-10-2006, 05:56 AM posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.survival,alt.home.repair,misc.invest.real-estate

Default Sealant Activated By Water Wanted

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 20:42:48 -0700, "Warm Worm" wrote:

"Pat"

Don wrote:
Do what the cat tells you to do.
It is only by her grace that you are allowed to live there. ;-)

Seriously, be concerned with contaminents and minerals in the water.
Cats are suceptable to *crystals* in their kidneys and bladders.
Very painful, expensive and can kill the cat.

Besides, the minerals make the cat taste bad and you waste all your
good sauce on it. Better when it tastes like chicken, esp. General Tso
Chicken.

Bear in mind, Pat, that this is a "cross-thread", so your post may not go
down well on alt.survival.

Why not? Cat..the other white meat.

Gunner, posting from alt.survival

- Proverbs 22:3
Old 02-10-2006, 06:21 AM posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.survival,alt.home.repair,misc.invest.real-estate

"Gunner" ...
"Warm Worm"

"Pat"

Don wrote:
Do what the cat tells you to do.
It is only by her grace that you are allowed to live there. ;-)

Seriously, be concerned with contaminents and minerals in the water.
Cats are suceptable to *crystals* in their kidneys and bladders.
Very painful, expensive and can kill the cat.

Besides, the minerals make the cat taste bad and you waste all your
good sauce on it. Better when it tastes like chicken, esp. General Tso
Chicken.

Bear in mind, Pat, that this is a "cross-thread", so your post may not go
down well on alt.survival.

Why not? Cat..the other white meat.

There's a winkie there! Right at the end! Gunner! Quick! Fire!

Ah, winkie's are slim pickings anyway.

(BTW; I've always wanted to take a survival course that includes winter. I
saw that Survive-o-man tv show, but I think he might be cheating sometimes
[if with some good ideas].)

Gunner, posting from alt.survival

alt.architecture here (drop by sometime)

Old 02-10-2006, 01:10 PM posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.survival,alt.home.repair,misc.invest.real-estate

"Harry" wrote
Don wrote:
"Tater" wrote
Harry wrote:
Hello,
Can someone tell me where to find a water sealant that is
activated by rushing water?

post snipped.

This post is really confusing, but i think i understand. you have a
leak in your basement and would like to plug the leak, but you also
want to keep the leak so you can water your pets with a sump pump
arangement.

First, I'd compeletly plug the leak, hydraulic cement should do, and
can be found in most hardware stores.

second, drill a hole in your basement wall andstick a pipe in the hole,
sealed with hydraulic cement, to allow you to have a spigot.

also, the leak you describe might be called a seep.

Isn't the leak symptomatic of another problem?
In other words, if he plugs the leak, it will just reappear elsewhere?
Off the top of my skall it seems that altering the source of where the
water
intrusion intersects the basement wall, ie., drains (perforated pipes)
will
cause the water to go elsewhere than the wall?
Thats what they did on my house and it seems to keep the inside dry....so
far.

Hello,

?There seems to be "soil" coming in with the "rushing" water,
so i doubt the perforations would last very long before they
became filled up with my lawn, but then perhaps i could just
plant shade-loving flowers or mushrooms in the "pipes"and
wa la a subterranean garden; then i could use the water to
water, not only the cat and dog, but the garden too. Maybe
instead of "above-ground well" for an automatic, sump pump
i should be thinking sprinkler system . . . The reason i donot
want to hack open the basement floor for a sump pump is
because the problem is a lot more than what iam telling you
right now, so the quick-fix will free-up my time to start the
necessary work that will work and solve the problem. Also
The coal is in the way of everything right now, so it willnot
be until Spring (after the coal is all burned up) that i can do
anything of a real nature. We just moved into the house about
a month ago, so weare still in the thought process of which
way to turn . . . like sell . . . for example . . . or fresh-water,
indoor, swimming pool; and sell tickets?

I can empathize Harry, we just moved into this house about 5 months ago and
there are numerous issues to deal with here too.
Nothing quite as serious as you've described, but issues none the less, and
its getting cold here now too, so time is running out on getting stuff done.
What you're asking is a temporary fix for a permanent problem until spring
when you might address it fully and properly.
I'm a noob here in the great white north and cannot offer much help.
I'm still in learning mode......

Old 02-10-2006, 01:29 PM posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.survival,alt.home.repair,misc.invest.real-estate

"Harry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
Can someone tell me where to find a water sealant that is
activated by rushing water?
Well not exactly white-water rapids, nor"rushing" all the
time; sometimes it slows down. I would like to think of what i
want to do as an above-ground swimming pool. What i mean
is if they can make above-ground swimming pools, then i can
make an above-ground well for a sump pump. The only
problem is itis wet and moving water all the time (sort of like
a spigot you cannot turn off - i think itis a spring, or at least it
acts like one, so if it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a
duck, lets call it a duck anyway). All i want is a quick fix for
now, and later i can rebuild the basement.

A bar of pure soap cut into thin strips and pressed over small holes/cracks
works a treat.

I can get some of the floor area dried up to a dampness, while
holding the moving water in a massive about of towels for a
few minutes. At that point i would like to "glue" something to
the floor to begin the building of the little wall of the well (i
only need one, maybe two walls, depending how much of the
wall-to-floor actually leaks ), bricks are easier to handle than
cinder blocks so i guess that is what i want to build my well
with - maybe i should use square-cut rocks? I may only need
about less than a foot high, because i saw a sump pump that
does from 1/8" up, however it maynot be automatic. In that
case iwill have to go higher with my wall to accommodate the
sump pump.

This (so far) is only a few feet of space i will need for the
well. Right now iam handling the mini flood with a "sponge"
pump, set at the point where the water puddles at a low spot
on the basement floor; this is then hosed to the floor drain.
The puddling only amounts to about or less than 1/8' depth, so
i have to go in there and turn on the "spunge" many times a
day. That is why i would like to get more depth to the water so
that i can install an automatic, sump pump.

I know what youare thinking so iwill answer it right now: If i
donot pump the water, through a hose, to the drain, the well-
trained, little stream runs somewhat along 3 walls, having
started at the first wall; very close to a corner; around the
corner of a 3rd wall; to the room with the drain; back up the
other side of the wall 3, about 3 or so feet from wall 3, and
continues right on into the drain all by its cute, little 'ole self -
scary to say the least . . . since it obediently puddles at wall 3
before taking off for its trip around the wall to the other room,
and back up the other side of the wall 3 to the drain, i like to
keep it retained in that one room instead of letting it wet both
rooms of the basement.

Another thing about the above-ground thingy is the cat drinks
the spring water, and i would like to train the dog to do
likewise so that i donot have to be bothered with slimy water
dishes all the time. The cat always used to demand to be
watered at the sink from the faucet; then she would shake, and
splash germs all over the sink area, then i would have to Lysol
spray the sink area (What a mess of unnecessary activity), so
iam very pleased she drinks from the spring. My husband said
she is the first cat he ever saw walk on water, but i named her
Pinky anyway (:

Truly

Old 02-10-2006, 08:52 PM posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.survival,alt.home.repair,misc.invest.real-estate

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 22:21:22 -0700, "Warm Worm" wrote:

"Gunner" ...
"Warm Worm"

"Pat"

Don wrote:
[...]

Ayup..he cheats a bit.

Gunner, posting from alt.survival

alt.architecture here (drop by sometime)

Oddly enough..I run a cat rescue on the side, and do volunteer work for
several others. As a cat lover..its a joy. As a survivalist..I think of
it as a cat ranch...fatten em up for when its Hungry Time.

Pragmatism....the key to survival.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 PM posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.survival,alt.home.repair,misc.invest.real-estate

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...

Harry wrote:
[...]

Harry

Once you have the water plugged, you'll still probably have a wet
basement. So you and your husband should take a couple of weekend and
paint the walls with Drylok. It's a bit bit thick so it's harder to
use than paint, but not too bad. When you go to the home center or
hardware store, pick up a few gallons. You don't get much coverage
per gallon, but it's worth it.

Water management is the way to a dry basement, not water proofing.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:19 PM posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.survival,alt.home.repair,misc.invest.real-estate

On 7 Oct 2006 02:12:13 -0700, "Tron" wrote:

Just for you Gunner sorry Mike I had to add a post here,
www.evilbible.com enjoy Gunner.

'
Why do you think that piece of shit site would interest me? Im Buddhist.

"Atheism, just another faith based belief system"

Since you dont know shit about who, what, where or even who I am, why
did you think Id care to "enjoy" that particular bit of dreck?

Here Tron..just for you.

http://216.220.97.17/

Im sure you will "enjoy" it.

Gunner, off to take an caustic shower

- Proverbs 22:3
Old 07-10-2006, 06:25 PM posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.survival,alt.home.repair,misc.invest.real-estate

"""""interest me? Im Buddhist.

"Atheism, just another faith based belief system" """""

A Buddhist doesn't quote from the Bible, not a Christian Bible anyways.
And just for a fact a Buddhist believe in re-incarnation, not being
saved and sent to heaven or hell.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:30 PM posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.survival,alt.home.repair,misc.invest.real-estate

On 7 Oct 2006 10:25:31 -0700, "Tron" wrote:

"""""interest me? Im Buddhist.

"Atheism, just another faith based belief system" """""

A Buddhist doesn't quote from the Bible, not a Christian Bible anyways.
And just for a fact a Buddhist believe in re-incarnation, not being
saved and sent to heaven or hell.

Correct. And please provide for me cites where Ive "quoted" from the
Bible in any other mode then in passing or as a data point in a
converstation? Frankly..Im not particularly familiar with the Bible. I
do know a few things about it, as I do the Koran, the Tibetian Book of
the Dead, The Book of Mormon and so forth.

Do you possibly have me confused with someone else, or are you simply
stupid?

Gunner