Old 06-11-2006, 04:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
BA BA is offline

Default question winterization lawn sprinkler system

hi,

I recently bought a house and am trying to determine if I must do any
winterization for the sprinkler system.

I live in northern utah (does get cold in the winter). my sprinker lines
are made of poly-pipe (the black pipe).

I surely want to avoid pipes freezing and bursting (if that is indeed
possible).

a friend earlier today told me if my sprinker lines are poly-pipe then it is
very unlikely they would freeze and burst).

I all the sprinkler line are underground.

can someone tell me if I need to do any winterization or am I OK to do
nothing (but shutoff the main water valve)?

all responses are much appreciated.

BA
kaysville, UT

Old 06-11-2006, 10:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

BA said:

hi,

I recently bought a house and am trying to determine if I must do any
winterization for the sprinkler system.

I live in northern utah (does get cold in the winter). my sprinker lines
are made of poly-pipe (the black pipe).

I surely want to avoid pipes freezing and bursting (if that is indeed
possible).

a friend earlier today told me if my sprinker lines are poly-pipe then it is
very unlikely they would freeze and burst).

I all the sprinkler line are underground.

can someone tell me if I need to do any winterization or am I OK to do
nothing (but shutoff the main water valve)?

all responses are much appreciated.

You need to blow out all of the lines with compressed air. As it's your
first year with the system, it's probably best to hire a sprinkler service
company to do it.

--

Eggs

-Two cows standing next to each other in a field, Daisy says to Dolly "I
was artificially inseminated this morning."
"I don't believe you," said Dolly. "It's true, no bull!" exclaimed Daisy.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
BA said:

[...]

Most new installiations include the service for free the first year, too bad
his didnt!
But defently get it blown out. Pipe if filled with water WILL burst if
frozen.