Old 03-11-2003, 11:42 PM
claude rogers

Default 90 gallon pond winterization

Ok guys and gals, I have a 90 gallon wishing well pond, what to do with it
this winter, am in zone 5, do I drain it or leave the water in it, will it
bust the hard plastic shell, gonna put my three little gf in the big pond
in the back for winter, suggestions appreciated....Claude

--
See my pond at http://home.fuse.net/ace883/

Old 04-11-2003, 02:22 AM
KenCo

claude rogers wrote:

Ok guys and gals, I have a 90 gallon wishing well pond, what to do with it
this winter, am in zone 5, do I drain it or leave the water in it, will it
bust the hard plastic shell, gonna put my three little gf in the big pond
in the back for winter, suggestions appreciated....Claude

--
See my pond at http://home.fuse.net/ace883/

drain and cover it or it will freeze solid.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced
Old 05-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Frances Whited

drain and cover it or it will freeze solid.

E-gad! Really?!?? I'm in Zone 5, too. Does a wishing well pond mean it
is raised above ground? My 90-gal preformed liner pond is in the ground.
Is it likely to freeze solid? I was planning to use a birdbath heater to
keep an open area. Is that not enough?

Frances
Old 05-11-2003, 01:22 AM
K30a

Here in zone 7 my 3,000 gallon pond
has gotten four or five solid inches
of ice on it. This was when the temps
went down to 2 above.
An above ground pond on the deck froze
solid 8 inches down.
Any other ponders nearby you can talk
to about your local conditions?

k30a
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 05-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Chad

I am in zone 5 and I used to keep my 100 gallon deck pond going all
winter with a submersible aquarium heater and my pump bubbling water....
not only was it above ground, it was 10 feet above ground. I just added
water frequently due to loss. From Jan - Mar I had about 2 inches of
ice except where the pump was... that really helped stop all the water
loss from steam. I would still do it but they switched to Chloramines
this years and it makes it a bigger pain in the butt.

Old 05-11-2003, 03:02 AM
claude rogers

Nope the pond is in ground about 16 inches, just afraid it will bust the
little bugger, wouldn't want that, I have the big pond in the back yard for
the little goldies, so no problem there, will probably just pump it out dry
and refill in the spring and put the little guys back, just feeders but I
don't want'em hurt....Thanks for the replies....Claude

Old 05-11-2003, 03:02 AM
claude rogers

Thought I posted the link with the reply, guess I didn't, it's on page 2 at
the bottom....

http://home.fuse.net/ace883/

Old 05-11-2003, 08:02 PM

leave water in inground ponds to prevent the sides caving in.

"Chad" wrote in message ...
I am in zone 5 and I used to keep my 100 gallon deck pond going all
winter with a submersible aquarium heater and my pump bubbling water....
not only was it above ground, it was 10 feet above ground. I just added
water frequently due to loss. From Jan - Mar I had about 2 inches of
ice except where the pump was... that really helped stop all the water
loss from steam. I would still do it but they switched to Chloramines
this years and it makes it a bigger pain in the butt.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.