Old 04-11-2007, 06:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

Default Grooves in trunk of palm tree

I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.

http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html

Thanks in advance!

Sam

Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message
I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just
took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was
normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the
trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects -
everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or
not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not
check this account daily.

http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html

Thanks in advance!

Sam
++++++++++++++++++

Good pictures! Was the tree always smaller in diameter at the bottom that
way? That does NOT look good. And, based on the symptoms, I don't know if
I'd park a car near it in windy weather.

You might want to call your local cooperative extension office ASAP, and
send or bring them these pictures.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Sammy bin Snoozin" expounded:

I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.

http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html

Thanks in advance!

Sam

That tree is rotten at the base, it'll come down someday in a strong
storm.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 06-11-2007, 04:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message ...
[...]

I thought so too 3 years ago, but it has been steadily growing - slow, but steady. And hard as a rock all around the base.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

Sammy bin Snoozin wrote: SNIP

Looking at the bud and fronds it looks like your tree is on it's way
out. Be careful, if you get a lot of rain and high winds it is going
to come down. As for the base, I would not want to climb it to trim
the fronds (Did tree work for 2 years in FL).

Dave FL

Old 07-11-2007, 12:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message
I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just
took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was
normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the
trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects -
everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or
not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not
check this account daily.

http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html

Thanks in advance!

Sam

It appears to me that the tree is under stress of some kind -- the fronds
are sparse and droopy and the trunk is quite narrow both at the base and
from about 6' above ground all the way to the top. This may be the early
stages of ganoderma butt rot, which is fatal and not curable. Check
information and pictures at www.palmtreedr.com/problems.html. The next
stage will include the growth of a ganoderma conch on the bottom of the
tree.

Other things to consider which might have stressed the tree -- lack of
proper fertilization, putting the tree into decline, or improper
("hurricane-cut") pruning, which removed fronds while they were still
partially green and feeding the main body of the tree.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

============================

It's been two days since you posted your message, so you've had time to call
your cooperative extension office and ask them about the problem. And,
today's Tuesday, so we know the office was probably open yesterday and
today.

When you called them, what did they say about this tree?

Old 07-11-2007, 05:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
It's been two days since you posted your message, so you've had time to

call your cooperative extension office and ask them about the problem.
And, today's Tuesday, so we know the office was probably open yesterday
and today.

When you called them, what did they say about this tree?

He can't ask advice here too, 'your cooperative extension' is the end all
right?

Old 07-11-2007, 01:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

"Steveo" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
It's been two days since you posted your message, so you've had time to

call your cooperative extension office and ask them about the problem.
And, today's Tuesday, so we know the office was probably open yesterday
and today.

When you called them, what did they say about this tree?

He can't ask advice here too, 'your cooperative extension' is the end all
right?

No, silly. But, his description suggests that the tree is losing its grip on
the ground beneath. I don't know about you, but that sounds analogous to a
55 year old human having chest pains and shortness of breath.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
It's been two days since you posted your message, so you've had time to
call your cooperative extension office and ask them about the problem.
And, today's Tuesday, so we know the office was probably open yesterday
and today.

When you called them, what did they say about this tree?

He can't ask advice here too, 'your cooperative extension' is the end all
right?

No, silly. But, his description suggests that the tree is losing its grip on
the ground beneath. I don't know about you, but that sounds analogous to a
55 year old human having chest pains and shortness of breath.

Not to mention the fact that it's so close to the street and walkway..

If a tree falls on someone in the street, do they make a sound?

Yup, and then they sue you.. It's best to let someone "LOOK" at the
thing and make a choice. I'd say the cooperative extension department is
one of the better choices to make as to having someone actually look at
the thing.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

"JimR" wrote in message

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message
I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just
took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was
normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the
trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects -
everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or
not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

Going to work this morning I noticed a palm enroute that is very similar to
the one in your picture. In this one, the fissures go from the ground to
about 5-6 feet height. I still think this may be the early stages of
ganoderma butt rot.

Info is available at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PP100

Included in their summary:

-- Ganoderma butt rot is caused by the fungus Ganoderma zonatum. This fungus
degrades or rots the lower 4-5 feet of the trunk.

-- There are currently no cultural or chemical controls for preventing the
disease or for curing the disease once the palm is infected.

-- A palm cannot be diagnosed with Ganoderma butt rot until the basidiocarp
(conk) forms on the trunk, or the internal rotting of the trunk is observed
after the palm is cut down.

-- Because the fungus survives in the soil, planting another palm back in
that same location is not recommended.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in

message

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Since you evidently know so much about what I'm doing, why don't you
tell me.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens

"Steveo" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
It's been two days since you posted your message, so you've had

time to
call your cooperative extension office and ask them about the

problem.
And, today's Tuesday, so we know the office was probably open

yesterday
and today.

When you called them, what did they say about this tree?

He can't ask advice here too, 'your cooperative extension' is the

end all
right?

I must have missed something. Clarification?