Old 23-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Registered User

Default Turf

Hi i have just put some turf down in my garden it is doing ok but bits of it are going brown and dying i water it every day but it doesnt help what can i do that wont cost a fortune as im not that well off.
Old 28-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Registered User

Chris,

I have the same problem but don't water it that frequent so any help would be good for both of us.

Cheers

Sled
Old 29-04-2009, 02:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Weed & Feed Products

Sled wrote:

Hello,

I'm a novice but passionate about getting my lawn looking beautiful.
Following much research, I think I understand the fundamentals of lawn
care and I am now trying to source the best products to treat my lawn
through the seasons. I'm currently using Evergreen Complete (first
time) but I think this is a public consumer product and definitely not
what a professional would use.

What do the pro's use to periodically weed and feed their lawns and who
vends these ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

never buy a product labeled weed and feed.

Thanks

Sled

--
Sled

Old 29-04-2009, 03:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jim" wrote in message
Sled wrote:

Hello,

I'm a novice but passionate about getting my lawn looking beautiful.
Following much research, I think I understand the fundamentals of lawn
care and I am now trying to source the best products to treat my lawn
through the seasons. I'm currently using Evergreen Complete (first
time) but I think this is a public consumer product and definitely not
what a professional would use.

What do the pro's use to periodically weed and feed their lawns and who
vends these ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

never buy a product labeled weed and feed.

I'll second that. The best products may vary from region to region, but the
best product is never a "weed-and-feed." It's an indiscriminate use of a
pesticide (herbicide) that's unnecessary. If your lawn is in such bad shape
it needs a weed-and-feed you should consider starting over.

In the south, Lesco produces some high-end fertilizers that include mostly
slow release nitrogen and little or no phosphorus. A good source of
products and information may be a company that deals in commercial
agriculturre / lawn care products such as Prosource One. They have a wide
variety of fertilizers of various compositions for special needs and should
be able to advise you - you'll find them in major agricultural areas and
they also service golf courses and the like. To see what you're up against,
go to
http://prosourceone.com/product_cata...duct_type_id=1
and figure out which of that page of fertilizers is the one you want for
your lawn.

A good first step may be to take a Master Gardener course where you live.
That will get you into the technicalities and biology of soils and
fertilizers. Here's a test -- if you know the meaning of the word
"adjuvant" and can describe the process you may be able to skip the Master
Gardener program, otherwise . . .

Lawn care is a good example of the 90 / 10 rule. You can get 90% of the
benefit with 10% of the effort - it's the last 10% that takes 90% of the
effort, and frankly it's not worth it. You can use that 90% of your free
time a lot better in other ways than in obsessing over your lawn. If ;you
can afford to spend all of your free time working on the lawn, you can
afford to pay someone else to do it for you --

Old 29-04-2009, 05:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Sled" wrote in message

Hello,

I'm a novice but passionate about getting my lawn looking beautiful.
Following much research, I think I understand the fundamentals of lawn
care and I am now trying to source the best products to treat my lawn
through the seasons. I'm currently using Evergreen Complete (first
time) but I think this is a public consumer product and definitely not
what a professional would use.

What do the pro's use to periodically weed and feed their lawns and who
vends these ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sled

--
Sled

I don't know where you got the idea that Weed and Feed was good, but it is
not. Get a good fertilizer, many areas have local brands, with slow
release. Get a spray bottle or pump gallon of Weed B Gone, or other brand
(Bayer) of broadleaf weed killer. Use it only where you have a weed. This
way you avoid over application of herbicide. Only putting it on the weed
you want to kill. Buy the concentrate of the product to refill the pump
bottle as needed. You will find that once the weeds are under control, and
your property is maintained, that weed control takes very little time and
chemical. Do the most with the least chemical.

Later,

Dale P

Old 29-04-2009, 07:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 29, 12:27*am, "Dale P" wrote:
"Sled" wrote in message

[...]

Dale P- Hide quoted text -

+1

The most effective weed control is to have a healthy, thick, lawn that
blocks out most of the weeds on it's own. The few that manage to
grow, you can easily and most effectivelyh deal with by using a tank
sprayer that delivers the herbicide directly and very effectively to
the small spots where it's needed.
Old 29-04-2009, 02:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 29, 3:57*am, taylor.rmt
wrote:
Sled;841499 Wrote:

Hello,

I'm a novice but passionate about getting my lawn looking beautiful.
Following much research, I think I understand the fundamentals of lawn
care and I am now trying to source the best products to treat my lawn
through the seasons. I'm currently using Evergreen Complete (first
time) but I think this is a public consumer product and definitely not
what a professional would use.

What do the pro's use to periodically weed and feed their lawns and who
vends these ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sled

Hi Sled,

There is a massive range available for lawn treatment and they all do
different things. It all depends on the NPK levels of your lawn and
also other factors which affect growth and weeds. Once you create the
perfect environment for grass to grow, it becomes a perfect environment
for weeds to grow.

Which of course is total nonsense. If you have thick, dense turf,
there is little opportunity for weeds to become established. Sure,
any lawn will have a few that manage to grow, but it's most definitely
NOT the perfect environment for weeds to grow, nor does that situation
warrant or require Weed n Feed products. The far better environment
for weeds to grow is a sparse lawn that isn't tended to, fertilized,
etc or just plain old open soil.

It's worth noting that the only person here endorsing the use of weed
n feed is the person selling it.

Once you know what your lawn needs you can start purchasing the
professional products that you need. Our website is perfect for someone
like you as it has a huge range of many different lawn care products and
also different things like weed identification and solutions. The link
is shown below:

http://tinyurl.com/dydxwx

You can get also get a soil testing kit from here which will help you
on your way to creating the perfect lawn. Also detailed information
about each product is available and professional advice is just a phone
call away.

One of our top selling lawn, weed and feed plus mosskiller products ishttp://tinyurl.com/dbbmkk

Thanks
Chris

--
taylor.rmt- Hide quoted text -

Old 30-04-2009, 05:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steve" wrote in message

The most effective weed control is to have a healthy, thick, lawn that
blocks out most of the weeds on it's own. The few that manage to
grow, you can easily and most effectivelyh deal with by using a tank
sprayer that delivers the herbicide directly and very effectively to
the small spots where it's needed.

On this?!

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/images/dandelions.jpg

Or should I use the weed and feed?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

I would think that the Purdue Plant & Pest Diagnostic Laboratory would have
some advice, since it is their photo. But if it were mine, I still would
not use weed and feed. The feed part wants to feed all plants, including
the weeds. Why put down a product that wants to make a weed grow and then
combine it with a produce that wants to kill it. If I had inherited that
field of dandelions, I would spray with Weed-B-Gone (2,4D) and then
fertilize in a week or so. Follow that with any more applications of
Weed-B-Gone where needed. Once under control, weeds are a small, manageable
problem.

Dale P

Old 30-04-2009, 09:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dale P said:

[...]

Why put down a product that wants to make a weed grow and then
combine it with a produce that wants to kill it.

Because, if it's aggressively growing, it will take up more of the
herbicide, quicker.

[...]
--

Eggs

-It ain't the jeans that make your butt look fat.

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 06:57 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM
Suggest good turf grass installation company? Dan Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM