Old 19-06-2009, 08:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Any way to deal with a salted yard?

Neighbor were a group of college kids who partied until five A.M. three
nights out of the week. I pleaded wit them to stop keeping me awake, but
they didn't listen. Finally, in desperation I informed the police about
what was going on. The partying stopped, but my lawn got salted and
although there are no totally bald spots, almost all of my shrubbery is
yellowing at the base and my grass is very thin. Is there any way to
neutralize the salt?

TIA

P.S. the college kids have moved away now that school is over for the
year. I'll get a new batch soon, but I've talked to the property
managers. They agreed that the best plan is to include a clause in the
lease agreement that disturbing the peace will not be tolerated, and
that immediate eviction (within the legal limits, of course) along with
a forfeiture of all deposits. This is becoming very commonplace where I
live.

But remember, the main topic of this message isn't the trouble with the
kids, but rather how can I repair the damage they did to my lawn by
salting it.

--
John Corliss
Old 20-06-2009, 01:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John Corliss said:

The partying stopped, but my lawn got salted and
although there are no totally bald spots, almost all of my shrubbery is
yellowing at the base and my grass is very thin. Is there any way to
neutralize the salt?

Of possible use:
Apply powdered gypsum and lots of water

(I hope you have good drainage.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 20-06-2009, 01:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
John Corliss said:

The partying stopped, but my lawn got salted and
although there are no totally bald spots, almost all of my shrubbery is
yellowing at the base and my grass is very thin. Is there any way to
neutralize the salt?

Of possible use:
Apply powdered gypsum and lots of water

(I hope you have good drainage.)

It's decomposed granite. Drains like a sieve unfortunately.

Thanks very much for replying and I'll take a look at powdered gypsum. 80)

--
John Corliss
Old 20-06-2009, 02:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John Corliss wrote:
But remember, the main topic of this message isn't the trouble with the

kids, but rather how can I repair the damage they did to my lawn by
salting it.

I've never had the need for it but I hear tell activated charcoal will help
with poisoned soils. Try a google on it for more info.
Old 20-06-2009, 02:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"John Corliss" wrote in message
trynet...
[...]

A whole lotta water, or series of heavy rains. Materials added to the soil
are aids for that. But, water is the key ingredient.
--
Dave

Old 20-06-2009, 03:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John Corliss wrote:

Neighbor were a group of college kids who partied until five A.M.
three nights out of the week. I pleaded wit them to stop keeping
me awake, but they didn't listen. Finally, in desperation I informed
the police about what was going on. The partying stopped, but my
lawn got salted

Can you explain why college kids would want to **** you off by messing
up your lawn and shrubery? Instead of, say, scratching your car or
slashing your tires?

Is your landscaping so immaculate and significant that it was an obvious
choice for them to vandalize? Did you in any way make references to
your lawn or property during your confrontation with them? Were they
****ing on your lawn and you told them to stop - and that's how they
got the idea to vandalize it later?

And why salt? That sounds like a crazy idea unless there happened to be
handy supply of salt nearby.

It would have been more plausible and effective for them to go and buy a
hose-end sprayer of Killex and go nuts on your landscaping instead of
using salt.

I would give odds that the average college fool would have no idea that
salt could be used to kill turf and other vegitation. Is this an
agricultural college by chance?

How do you know it was salt? Did you find any granules in the grass?
Did you hear it first or second hand?
Old 20-06-2009, 04:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John Corliss said:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
John Corliss said:

The partying stopped, but my lawn got salted and
although there are no totally bald spots, almost all of my shrubbery is
yellowing at the base and my grass is very thin. Is there any way to
neutralize the salt?

Of possible use:
Apply powdered gypsum and lots of water

(I hope you have good drainage.)

It's decomposed granite. Drains like a sieve unfortunately.

That may be 'fortunately' as it will help in leeching out the poison. =)

--

Eggs

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a
nail.
Old 20-06-2009, 11:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Lawn Guy wrote:
John Corliss wrote:

Neighbor were a group of college kids who partied until five A.M.
three nights out of the week. I pleaded wit them to stop keeping
me awake, but they didn't listen. Finally, in desperation I informed
the police about what was going on. The partying stopped, but my
lawn got salted

Can you explain why college kids would want to **** you off by messing
up your lawn and shrubery? Instead of, say, scratching your car or
slashing your tires?

It's not a matter of ****ing me off, but rather getting even with me for
ruining their fun. And from a college kid's viewpoint, calling the
police is akin to being a narc. In the end though, they quieted down
after the police threatened to bring in the Oregon Liquor Control
Commission and go hermantile on their collective butts for having
underage kids at their parties.

Is your landscaping so immaculate and significant that it was an obvious
choice for them to vandalize? Did you in any way make references to
your lawn or property during your confrontation with them? Were they
****ing on your lawn and you told them to stop - and that's how they
got the idea to vandalize it later?

They saw me fertilizing it and bragging about how nice and green it was
this year.

And why salt? That sounds like a crazy idea unless there happened to be
handy supply of salt nearby.

Not at all. Salt is cheap and college kids tend to refer to "How to Get
Even" books, there are many such websites as well. One common tactic is
to salt somebody's lawn. That way, it simply fades rather than to die
altogether. Salting a lawn will drive somebody crazy; killing a lawn
will lead to the cops getting involved.

It would have been more plausible and effective for them to go and buy a
hose-end sprayer of Killex and go nuts on your landscaping instead of
using salt.

See my above remark. Besides, I saw them doing it, but they ran when I
came out of the house and it was too late. I couldn't prove who it was
because I didn't get a good enough look.

I would give odds that the average college fool would have no idea that
salt could be used to kill turf and other vegitation. Is this an
agricultural college by chance?

See my above remarks.

How do you know it was salt? Did you find any granules in the grass?
Did you hear it first or second hand?

As I said in the OP, the main topic of this message isn't the trouble
with the kids, but rather how can I repair the damage they did to my
lawn by salting it. They're gone now. I hope I don't have to discuss
this unpleasant topic anymore, all I would like is a way to deal with
the salting.

--
John Corliss
Old 21-06-2009, 02:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John Corliss wrote:

Can you explain why college kids would want to **** you off by
messing up your lawn and shrubery? Instead of, say, scratching
your car or slashing your tires?

It's not a matter of ****ing me off, but rather getting even
with me for ruining their fun.

What's the difference?

They want to get back at you by vandalizing something they know you own.

I just find it strange that they'd take it out on your lawn and garden.
A fence, a mail box, a car, are usually the targets for property
dammage. But salting a lawn ???/

Did you in any way make references to your lawn or property
during your confrontation with them? Were they ****ing on
your lawn and you told them to stop - and that's how they
got the idea to vandalize it later?

They saw me fertilizing it and bragging about how nice and
green it was this year.

Was that before, or after, you called the cops on them?

And why salt? That sounds like a crazy idea unless there
happened to be handy supply of salt nearby.

Not at all. Salt is cheap and college kids tend to refer to
"How to Get Even" books, there are many such websites as well.

So you've got sophisticated vandals? The kind that go out and read
books and do research on how to commit vandalism?

One common tactic is to salt somebody's lawn.

Was it table salt (bought from a grocery store) or road salt?

Is road salt still available at your local big-box building store this
time of year?

Normally, vandals don't tend to spend any of their own money to obtain
items or materials by which to perform their destruction or dammage.
Again, this is why I find your situation so bizarre and atypical.

I saw them doing it, but they ran when I came out of the house
and it was too late. I couldn't prove who it was because I didn't
get a good enough look.

But you said earlier that you remarked to them that your lawn was nice
and green this year. Did you get a good look at them when you made that
remark?

I would give odds that the average college fool would have
no idea that salt could be used to kill turf and other
vegitation. Is this an agricultural college by chance?

See my above remarks.

Ah yes. Your lawn was salted by Ferris Bueller. I forgot.

You say you saw it when it was happening.

Why didn't you go out with a shop-vac and simply vacuum up the salt out
of the lawn before it dissolved into the soil?
Old 22-06-2009, 01:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Lawn Guy wrote:
John Corliss wrote:

Can you explain why college kids would want to **** you off by
messing up your lawn and shrubery? Instead of, say, scratching
your car or slashing your tires?

It's not a matter of ****ing me off, but rather getting even
with me for ruining their fun.

What's the difference?

They want to get back at you by vandalizing something they know you own.
(snipped the rest of the stuff)

I'm no novice to usenet, "Lawn Guy". I know when I'm being trolled. So
here, take the advice given at this site:

http://amishrakefight.org/gfy/

--
John Corliss

Old 22-06-2009, 02:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steve wrote:
John Corliss wrote:
But remember, the main topic of this message isn't the trouble with the

kids, but rather how can I repair the damage they did to my lawn by
salting it.

I've never had the need for it but I hear tell activated charcoal will help
with poisoned soils. Try a google on it for more info.

I spilled some charcoal on my yard as a test a while back. It seems to
have helped a lot, but I forgot I'd done it until now. Thanks for
reminding me!

--
John Corliss
Old 22-06-2009, 02:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John Corliss said:

Lawn Guy wrote:
John Corliss wrote:

Can you explain why college kids would want to **** you off by
messing up your lawn and shrubery? Instead of, say, scratching
your car or slashing your tires?
It's not a matter of ****ing me off, but rather getting even
with me for ruining their fun.

What's the difference?

They want to get back at you by vandalizing something they know you own.
(snipped the rest of the stuff)

I'm no novice to usenet, "Lawn Guy". I know when I'm being trolled. So
here, take the advice given at this site:

http://amishrakefight.org/gfy/

I'd forgot about that site. =)

LG's our resident "I've got the nickname but don't know shit" fool. But,
then, you've already found that out. =)
--

Eggs

-Two cows standing next to each other in a field, Daisy says to Dolly "I
was artificially inseminated this morning."
"I don't believe you," said Dolly. "It's true, no bull!" exclaimed Daisy.
Old 22-06-2009, 10:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
John Corliss said:

Lawn Guy wrote:
John Corliss wrote:

Can you explain why college kids would want to **** you off by
messing up your lawn and shrubery? Instead of, say, scratching
your car or slashing your tires?
It's not a matter of ****ing me off, but rather getting even
with me for ruining their fun.
What's the difference?

They want to get back at you by vandalizing something they know you own.
(snipped the rest of the stuff)

I'm no novice to usenet, "Lawn Guy". I know when I'm being trolled. So
here, take the advice given at this site:

http://amishrakefight.org/gfy/

I'd forgot about that site. =)

LG's our resident "I've got the nickname but don't know shit" fool. But,
then, you've already found that out. =)

Yep, when it became apparent that he'd decided to ignore this part of my OP:

But remember, the main topic of this message isn't the trouble with the
kids, but rather how can I repair the damage they did to my lawn by
salting it.

I decided this must be the situation. Jeez, I started feeling like I was
on trial or something. Guess every newsgroup winds up with somebody who
needs to be killfiled: in this case, "Lawn Guy".

At any rate, my thanks to group for the good advice. Over and out.

--
John Corliss
Old 23-06-2009, 03:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John Corliss wrote:

They want to get back at you by vandalizing something they know
you own. (snipped the rest of the stuff)

I'm no novice to usenet, "Lawn Guy". I know when I'm being
trolled.

I don't waste my time "trolling".

Your situation was interesting. I wanted to learn more about how your
lawn came to be "salted".

It is not a very ergonomic thing for anyone to do, especially young
vandals who usually resort to more spur-of-the-moment forms of
retribution and who want to be absolutely sure that you noticed the
dammage. Salting turf may not always work and yield the desired
results, and even when it works - you might attribute it to a natural
cause and I'm sure that's not what they would have wanted you to think.

Hence my questions about the type of salt (fine-grain table salt, or
course road salt). If it was table salt, I can understand how it might
have been hard to detect and remove. But coarse road salt (used to melt
ice in the winter) would have more visible and could have easily been
removed via shop vac.

Removal (via vacuum, raking, etc) may no longer be an option to you, but
if anyone in the future searches for "how to deal with salted yard" they
may find that advice timely and useful.
Old 23-06-2009, 05:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Lawn Guy" wrote in message ...
John Corliss wrote:

[...]

If they live in an area where water softeners are common. then they would
have immediate access to a good quantity of rock salt. Either way, box
stores sell it cheap.

DP