Old 21-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Registered User

Default Ants in my lawn

I have had ants in my lawn for several years now. I have tried lots of different products including this year Nemasys Ant Killer Nematodes - No Ants. This last product has been the best so far, but it works out expensive as you need to reapply it at regular intervals. We have also been visited since we've had the ants by a gorgeous woodpecker, but he/she makes rather large holes in the lawn and doesn't manage to eat them all up - lol! The ant hills are worst when the lawn is long rather than just after a cutting, but that's when you see the ant hills most of all. Any suggestions?
Old 21-08-2010, 09:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
thornyrose

Gasoline or Diesel usually does the trick!

Old 21-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Registered User

I meant helpful suggestions - I know what happens when I spill petrol onto the lawn when filling the lawnmower - what's the use of having a lawn when you end up with none? The next thing you'll be suggesting is having an artificial lawn. No, please don't go down that road. I know you're going to say I haven't a sense of humour - I have - but I am trying to get some positive advice, not just be entertained!
Old 23-08-2010, 11:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I meant helpful suggestions - I know what happens when I spill petrol
onto the lawn when filling the lawnmower - what's the use of having a
lawn when you end up with none? The next thing you'll be suggesting is
having an artificial lawn. No, please don't go down that road. I know
you're going to say I haven't a sense of humour - I have - but I am
trying to get some positive advice, not just be entertained!

I buy stuff that foams and you spray with a 9 inch straw into the nest and
hold for a few seconds. The foam gets into the passages of the ant nest and
kills the population with very little effect on the lawns root system.

This is one of the foam products. It may only be available in Canada, I
dunno. it's really pricey but effective.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...8P/reviews.htm

Old 28-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Henchman View Post

I meant helpful suggestions - I know what happens when I spill petrol
onto the lawn when filling the lawnmower - what's the use of having a
lawn when you end up with none? The next thing you'll be suggesting is
having an artificial lawn. No, please don't go down that road. I know
you're going to say I haven't a sense of humour - I have - but I am
trying to get some positive advice, not just be entertained!

I buy stuff that foams and you spray with a 9 inch straw into the nest and
hold for a few seconds. The foam gets into the passages of the ant nest and
kills the population with very little effect on the lawns root system.

This is one of the foam products. It may only be available in Canada, I
dunno. it's really pricey but effective.

Canadian Tire - Raid Outdoor Ant Nest Destroyer customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
Yes, I can probably get that product, so will give it a try. Trouble is, I don't know where the ant nest is. All I have are about 30-40 anthills in my lawn. Still, I could try spraying the stuff on all of them and see what happens. Many thanks for the helpful suggestion.

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants in lawn Joe Zorzin Lawns 3 15-07-2003 01:32 AM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM