Old 22-09-2003, 03:42 PM
rci

Default new lawn splotchy, coming up weeds

We just planted a new lawn 8-9 days ago. We're just barely starting to see
the peach fuzz that lets me know the lawn is coming up. I have a few
concerns though:

1. The grass seems pretty splotchy. We're in Seattle and have had a lot of
rain this last week which washed a lot of the seed around the yard, so the
lawn is thick in some place, sparse in others and simply non-existant in
others.

2. There are a lot of weeds coming is as well. I'm not sure what kind of
weed--they're only about as far along as the grass. Right now they just
have two tiny round leaves, almost like a two-leaved clover.

So, I've been considering options, and I would love some advice. These are
my thoughts:

1. I could reseed where needed, give the grass a month or two, and if
necessary spray with a broad-leaf weed killer. Can I do something about the
weeds now, before I re-seed?

2. I could kill the whole thing and lay sod (we just priced it and is within
our budget). If I go this route, do I need to kill the existing
grass/weeds? I'm assuming I do. What's the best way to do that?

3. Any other suggestions would be great too.

Thanks for your help.

Robby

Old 22-09-2003, 05:02 PM

"rci" wrote:
[...]

Just go ahead and overseed the thin area's ASAP. Don't use -any- weed
control products while you are seeding. You can treat the weeds after
you've mowed the new turf three four times.

2. I could kill the whole thing and lay sod (we just priced it and is
within our budget). If I go this route, do I need to kill the existing
grass/weeds? I'm assuming I do. What's the best way to do that?

3. Any other suggestions would be great too.

Thanks for your help.

Robby

Depending on how much growth you have, you could possibly sod right over
it, If it seems like there is too much growth, spray roundup on it, wait a
week, strip it and sod it.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month
Old 23-09-2003, 04:26 AM
Die Spammer !!!

I just redid my lawn too about 3 months ago. Just like you. Not sure if you
tilled but I tilled etc etc etc.. After seeding, I saw alot of the clover
weeds you see. I asked my nursery about it and they said I can use the
broadleaf weed killer that I already had. Once your lawn fills in and thickens
up, the clover weeds will die out... with the help of the weed killer. Also, I
have been using some manure compost mix from a place called The Bark Place. The
manure mix will cover the seed to help keep it moist. So keep reseeding and
putting down a thin layer of compost. Give the reseeded areas a good month to
show signs of regrowth. Depending on where you are, you dont have much time left
to reseed. after your first or second mow job, you can started putting down
some new grass fertilizer. I just put down some Ferti-lome lawn food last week.

Make absolutely sure that when you water the newly seeded areas, that you only
use a fine mist to keep the groud moist. It's easy to ruin the way the seed
cover is layed out. I have found out that 4 - 5 days of keeping the seed cover
moist will show signs of regrowth here is the pacific northwest. October is
supposed to be the last month to put down seed. New seed here dont like
temperatures below 60-50.

So be patient. Give your lawn a few more weeks. before reseeding. I think 5
seeds per square inch is good for a decent think lawn. Some seeds dont grow so
putting down more alot of seed is good for results.

Also if you tilled the soil you wont want anything, I mean anything on the new
lawn for a while. You dont want to make divits /footprints in the soil. The more
traffic, the more grass gets kills. Got pets ? keep them off the lawn, they
will kill it for sure with the urine...

..

..

Old 23-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Chet Hayes

If you want to go with sod, you can kill the existing grass and weeds
with roundup. It's ok to plant/reseed in a week, which is about how
long it takes for the weeds to die off anyway.

It's good practice to partially cover seeded areas with weed free
straw, which helps retain moisture and prevents erosion. You want it
light enough so that sunlight can get in.

If you want to reseed now, you need to do it soon. Grass needs
daytime temps in the 60-70's to get established. You didn't indicate
what kind of grass you seeded with. Germination time varies, fescues
are quick at about a week, bluegrass can take 3 weeks to germinate, so
you may need to give it some more time. The areas where too much seed
ended up are not a good thing either, as the grass is too dense and
can't grow properly.

You can usually apply broadleaf weedkiller after you've mowed the lawn
2-3 times. Before that, it may kill the seedlings.

"Die Spammer !!!" wrote in message ...
[...]

.

.

Old 28-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Spike

I'm getting close but haven't seen anybody comment on how to seed the bare
spots... I have a few as well and would like to just hand broadcast the bare
patches... can I just leave the seed where it falls or do I havta try and
bury it a little (and disturb what is already or may be trying to grow.

Old 28-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Colbyt

"Spike" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I'm getting close but haven't seen anybody comment on how to seed the bare
spots... I have a few as well and would like to just hand broadcast the

bare
patches... can I just leave the seed where it falls or do I havta try and
bury it a little (and disturb what is already or may be trying to grow.

Hand broadcasting is fine. The seed must be in contact with dirt to
germinate. Leave on top the ground tamped lightly with a rake or hoe and a
very light covering of straw or well dried grass clippings. You don't have
to use the covering, it just helps keep the birds away and moist to aid
germination.