Old 15-05-2004, 08:05 AM
gregpresley

Default Tired of bumping my string trimmer

I have an electric weedeater also. Very reliable, but like yours, the bump
feed stopped working almost immediately, so I have to pull out the string by
hand. My yard is so small that after 2 years, I'm still on the first roll of
string.
"KLM" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:40:07 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

I have an el cheapo Weedeater electric cuz' I need to trim only a few
places where the mower cannot get close enough to. While not directly
relevant to this tread on gas trimmers I'll put in my 2 cents about
string sizes. The bump feed doesn't work so I have to pop out the
spool and feed the string. Not a big problem but still a nuisance.
Experimented with a thicker line. I haven't seen a motor smoke that
fast and destroy itself. So I took it apart to see if I can salvage
any useful parts (none). It was obvious the thicker sting caused an
imbalance, melted the fiber or plastic bearing and then seized the
motor. The lesson then is stick to the recommended string weight.
The problem may not show up soon in a motor mounted on bearings but
the imbalance is there and will shorten the life of your trimmer.

Note: I will still buy this model, the smallest and cheapest, cuz' it
suits my needs.

It uses 0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of

trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time.

Old 15-05-2004, 04:12 PM
RoyDMercer

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I have an Echo line trimmer (SRM-2200) that I bought almost 20 years
ago, and I believe it uses .095 line, which lasts pretty well. But for
when I'm cutting tough weeds and brambles, I replace the head with a
lawnmower blade.

My echo trimmer (SRM-2400SB) is only 9 years old. I'm glad to hear yours is
still going strong after 20.

Old 15-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Roy

On Sat, 15 May 2004 09:10:49 -0500, "RoyDMercer"
wrote:

==="zxcvbob" wrote in message
=== I have an Echo line trimmer (SRM-2200) that I bought almost 20 years
=== ago, and I believe it uses .095 line, which lasts pretty well. But for
=== when I'm cutting tough weeds and brambles, I replace the head with a
=== lawnmower blade.
===
===My echo trimmer (SRM-2400SB) is only 9 years old. I'm glad to hear yours is
===still going strong after 20.
===

I have a Jonsered brush / string trimmer straight shaft, 40cc engine
that has never missed a beat and is close to 25 years old. Wore out
many line heads of various styles, wore out many of the steel brush
blades but have never spent a penny on the machine yet other than air
cleaner and spark plug etc. Starts right up time after time.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 15-05-2004, 04:12 PM
William W. Plummer

wrote:

==="zxcvbob" wrote in message
=== I have an Echo line trimmer (SRM-2200) that I bought almost 20

years
=== ago, and I believe it uses .095 line, which lasts pretty well.

But for
=== when I'm cutting tough weeds and brambles, I replace the head with

=== lawnmower blade.
===
===My echo trimmer (SRM-2400SB) is only 9 years old. I'm glad to hear

yours is
===still going strong after 20.
===

I have a Jonsered brush / string trimmer straight shaft, 40cc engine
that has never missed a beat and is close to 25 years old. Wore out
many line heads of various styles, wore out many of the steel brush
blades but have never spent a penny on the machine yet other than air
cleaner and spark plug etc. Starts right up time after time.

I've had a HomeLite SX-135 for about 10 years with no problems whatsoever.

Old 15-05-2004, 06:06 PM
KLM

On Sat, 15 May 2004 14:21:48 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Thanks for the link. I always wanted to make my own equipment and
cast metal.

Old 19-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Blues Ma

Salty Thumb wrote:

(Shooter Dude) wrote in
om:

I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot.* It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head.* In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time.* When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line.* Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better?* They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

My Toro cordless electric uses .050", the thinnest diameter I've seen and
works well.* You only need to bump it often if you're mowing with it and
the string gets bent.* Edging using the tip only works better.* If the
weather has been dry for a couple of days and the grass isn't crazy, I
can do ~300' of edging without bumping.

The Black & Decker Grass Hog uses .065* -* self feeds and is fairly cheap.
Mine is electric and can tolerate the voltage drop from over 100' of cord
with
no complaints.**** Quieter than the gas models and no stink or mixing.
Also does the edging thing with a built in wire guide.
*
*

Old 09-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Jack Hobbs

I'd like to add John Deere to the list of junk string trimmers! I'm
peeved because John Deere doesn't honor their warranties.

I bought a John Deere S1400 because there's a dealer nearby, the name
recognition, and the hope that John Deere would be a better trimmer
than the cheapo trimmers.

It never started easily, and the starter mechanism soon broke. That
was replaced under warranty. But next, the muffler fell off. The
John Deere dealer says it would require 6 hours of labor to repair
(???!!!!) plus parts, and is not economically repairable. The dealer
called their factory contact, who wouldn't authorize repairs or
replacement, even though the trimmer was still under warranty. The
John Deere dealer denied any responsibility.

I'm not likely to ever purchase another John Deere product. I talked
about my experience with an arriving farmer who wanted an $8000 mower,
and he asked the salesman to explain why JD wouldn't honor my
warranty. Don't know the response, because the salesman hustled him
into an inner sanctum.

Fortunately, I had purchased the trimmer from Home Depot, who gave me
a full refund. Kudos to Home Depot!!! I purchased an Echo SRM 230
trimmer. Starts easily, the bump head works better, is just easier to
control, and doesn't "burn my arm" like the John Deere used to do.
I'ts a pleasure to use, compared to a HomeLite (?) and the John Deere,
and I recommend it to others.

Jack.

"Bob" wrote in message .net...
"Shooter Dude" wrote in message
I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot.

First of all - next time you by a trimmer, stay away from the cheapos like
Homelite, Weed Eater, etc. Don't buy one with a curved shaft.

Reason: On the cheapos, the engine is a piece of junk. Actually the crank
shaft has a bearing on only one end. The engines rarely last even the
200 hours for which they are rated. Also, when you let off the throttle
to idle, the string continues to spin. This is because it has no clutch.
Therefore when you walk from the back fence to the front of the house, the
string is rotating - wear and dangerous.

For the least expensive good trimmer, I suggest Echo (probably about $200).
It has a well bearing'ed engine, rated at 1000 hours (and usually lasts
longer if you always use the correct oil/gas mixture). It is well balance
and easy to use. It has a centrigul clutch. You get five time the use for
less than twice the money. There are several good brands such as John
Deere, Huskie, etc that are even better, but you get into some high dollars.
For home use, I'd go with Echo. They will use .095 line and it works
fine.

If you buy something quality, it only hurts one time - when you pay for it.
If you buy something inferior for the cheap price - it hurts every time you
use it.

Old 09-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Lost-In-Translation

Wow, that is so unlike Deere & Co. I would have contacted consumer affairs
in Moline, IL, they have a toll free number. I have a Homelite 16"
chainsaw that I bought last season for some light tree trimming. This
season it is acting up, won't stay running, etc. Now I'm hesitant to take
it in for repair but since it is still under warranty, I'll see what
happens.

I had a Deere riding lawnmower before I moved to a smaller property and I
had nothing but great use with it. I let it go with the house when I sold
it and as far as I know, the new owners are still using it.

Please don't let this issue go - contact Deere, I assure you they want to
hear from you if you are having problems that don't get resolved by their
local personnel. As a company that has been around for more than 100 years,
I'm betting they would like the chance to make it right. Email to:
Online at:
http://www.johndeere.com/en_US/ag/contactus/index.html Or toll free:
1-866-993-3373 (I looked it all up in my John Deere Mower manual).

Now, for weed whackers. I bought a Black & Decker Grass Hog, and I really
like it. It's battery powered instead of gas, but the battery holds enough
charge to do my entire property in one charge. I too bought mine at Home
Depot and the first one I bought was missing a part. No problem, Home Depot
took care of it no questions asked. I tried a gas powered unit just once.
I found it was too noisy, heavy, hot and cumbersome. With gas over two
bucks a gallon, battery is my best bet. My property is 3/4 acre so it's
sizeable for a single battery charge to cover.

Good luck with JD.

om...

Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
CW

Just curious, how long had passed since purchase did Home Depot allow
the refund? Did they make some sort of special exception?

I have an ECHO SRM 230 trimmer too. Works great. Have a generic
trimmer shoulder strap from Home Depot that makes it so comfortable to
operate.

CW

Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Bad Bob

If you're really tired of bumping that trimmer trade it in for a good
pump sprayer and a gallon of roundup!

Bad Bob

"Cook him till he's blue,
and smother him in onions."
Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Roy

[...]

snip

IIRC Homelite is who made the trimmers for JD. I know they bought the
company a while back. Weather they own it yet is questionable. JOhn
deere is John Deere, and HOme depot would have had to jump through all
the smae hoops as a John Deere dealer would to offer you a refund and
get a refund from JD in return for their loss, so I would have to
assume your main problem was in the dealer you choose to do business
with and not JD itself. My local dealer here is a reall a$$hole, and
I refuse to deal with him for similar reasons. The dealer I use will
bend over backwards for you to please you, and most dealers all know
well up front what can and what can't be honored by warranty if they
want to take the necessary steps which in all reality your delaer did
not want to do.