Old 10-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Merle O'Broham

Default gas/oil mix ratios

So, the snowblower says 25:1, the string trimmer says 40:1, and the
power blower says 50:1. Anyone having a wee bit difficulty getting the
mixtures right? Seems all the little oil mix containers say to mix
with a gallon of gas and some don't even give the ratio on the label.
What gives?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:06 PM
willshak

Merle O'Broham wrote:

So, the snowblower says 25:1, the string trimmer says 40:1, and the
power blower says 50:1. Anyone having a wee bit difficulty getting the
mixtures right? Seems all the little oil mix containers say to mix
with a gallon of gas and some don't even give the ratio on the label.
What gives?

I mix the separate tool mixtures and keep each in a gallon milk
container in the shed. I use a permanent marker to write the mixture
ratio, # of ounces of oil per gallon, and what tool it goes with, on the
container.
To get the proper mixture of oil per gallon of gas, divide 128 (# of
ounces in a gallon) by ratio.
i.e. 128 / 40 = 3.2, so a 40:1 ratio needs 3.2 oz. of oil.
Other ratios:
25:1 = 5.1 oz per gallon.
50:1 = 2.5 oz per gal.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:04 AM
Chip Stein

I mix the separate tool mixtures and keep each in a gallon milk
container in the shed. I use a permanent marker to write the mixture
ratio, # of ounces of oil per gallon, and what tool it goes with, on the
container.

when i worked in lawn equipment we loved people who used milk
jugs. gas breaks them down and clogs the inlet screens with white goo.
fantastic for business. you've gotten lucky so far.
Chip
Old 11-11-2004, 01:07 AM
Larry

"willshak" wrote in message
Merle O'Broham wrote:

So, the snowblower says 25:1, the string trimmer says 40:1, and the
power blower says 50:1. Anyone having a wee bit difficulty getting the
mixtures right? Seems all the little oil mix containers say to mix
with a gallon of gas and some don't even give the ratio on the label.
What gives?

I mix the separate tool mixtures and keep each in a gallon milk
container in the shed. I use a permanent marker to write the mixture
ratio, # of ounces of oil per gallon, and what tool it goes with, on the
container.
To get the proper mixture of oil per gallon of gas, divide 128 (# of
ounces in a gallon) by ratio.
i.e. 128 / 40 = 3.2, so a 40:1 ratio needs 3.2 oz. of oil.
Other ratios:
25:1 = 5.1 oz per gallon.
50:1 = 2.5 oz per gal.

After spending a few moments to compute all my proper ratios, I made a
'guide sheet' in Word and posted it in my shed (right by my gas cans).
It goes like:

Weedeater XX oz to five gallons
Outboard XX oz to six gallons
etc

That way I add the exact amount and don't score a cylinder because I screwed
up the mix.

Additional note: I add the oil first, a little gas, slosh around real good
and top off with gas.

Larry

Old 11-11-2004, 04:40 AM
willshak

Chip Stein wrote:

I mix the separate tool mixtures and keep each in a gallon milk
container in the shed. I use a permanent marker to write the mixture
ratio, # of ounces of oil per gallon, and what tool it goes with, on the
container.

when i worked in lawn equipment we loved people who used milk
jugs. gas breaks them down and clogs the inlet screens with white goo.
fantastic for business. you've gotten lucky so far.
Chip

The milk jugs are made of HDPE (high density polyethylene), which is the
same as used for oil and gasoline containers. Perhaps you were thinking
of some other plastic?

Old 11-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Merle O'Broham" wrote in message
om...
So, the snowblower says 25:1, the string trimmer says 40:1, and the
power blower says 50:1. Anyone having a wee bit difficulty getting the
mixtures right? Seems all the little oil mix containers say to mix
with a gallon of gas and some don't even give the ratio on the label.
What gives?

I just mix one batch - to the richest ratio - and use it in all my 2 cycle
engines (two mini-tillers, four chain saws, water pump) - and actually I
usually mix it richer than the stated ratio - I never buy the manufacturers
expensive small oil bottles , just get quart bottles from major oil
companies and measure out 3 ounces in a few small glass jars - and I only
approximate the amount of gas I mix it with. Haven't blown an engine yet
(knock on wood).
When I ran the old 2 cycle Saabs and snowmobiles I bought the oil in a small
barrel (can't remember wether it was 16 or 20 gallon) but it seemed to gel
after a couple years even though manufacturers claim there is no shelf life.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Peter H

willshak wrote:
Merle O'Broham wrote:

So, the snowblower says 25:1, the string trimmer says 40:1, and the
power blower says 50:1. Anyone having a wee bit difficulty getting the
mixtures right? Seems all the little oil mix containers say to mix
with a gallon of gas and some don't even give the ratio on the label.
What gives?

I mix the separate tool mixtures and keep each in a gallon milk
container in the shed. I use a permanent marker to write the mixture
ratio, # of ounces of oil per gallon, and what tool it goes with, on the
container.
To get the proper mixture of oil per gallon of gas, divide 128 (# of
ounces in a gallon) by ratio.
i.e. 128 / 40 = 3.2, so a 40:1 ratio needs 3.2 oz. of oil.
Other ratios:
25:1 = 5.1 oz per gallon.
50:1 = 2.5 oz per gal.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between American and Imperial
gallons. Even the American ounce is slightly different.

Peter H
Old 12-11-2004, 03:28 AM
Merle O'Broham

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks to all the above posters. Y'know, I haven't seen anything
larger than the little (what are they 2 oz?) bottles of the mix that
says to mix with a gallon of gas. I like the idea of running a bit
richer mixture just so I don't need 3 or 4 seperate little red plastic
gas containers. As an aside, squirrels chewed through a wooden window
pane in my garage thinking they're gonna winter down inside and have
started eating the yellow plastic pouring spout on one of those
containers! Gas tastes good to squirrels?
Old 12-11-2004, 11:06 AM
op4_camper

"Merle O'Broham" wrote in message
om...
So, the snowblower says 25:1, the string trimmer says 40:1, and the
power blower says 50:1. Anyone having a wee bit difficulty getting the
mixtures right? Seems all the little oil mix containers say to mix
with a gallon of gas and some don't even give the ratio on the label.
What gives?

Ive been using this stuff for years.
http://www.manddsmallengine.com/opti/opti-2.html

Just dont mix it with any other premix in the can or in the tank.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Chet Hayes

[...]

That's what I do too. Use the richest ratio mix for all. These two
cycle engines are all very similar, it's hard to believe that even an
average ratio will result in much difference in the typical engine
life, which is pretty short.

Old 14-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Alan Alpert

I agree. For the past 30 years I have been running at least four 2 cycle
machines on 25:1 mixture.

om...

Old 15-11-2004, 01:04 AM
JD

My suggestion is this:

Run all your equipment with 50:1. The richer the blend, the more apt you
are to overheat and scauld the bearings. While it may seem that more oil
would prevent wear/tear...it is quite opposite in a 2 cycle motor. The
lubrication is throughout the entire engine, and the richer the blend, the
harder it is on the life of the engine components (especially if running at
high rpms).

Try this: stick one index finger into a cup of oil and your other index
finger into a cup of gas. Pull out both fingers at the same time. Which
one feels cooler? I attended a two week repair course for Stihl products,
and it made a believer out of me.

For the best deal on two cycle oil, visit your local Wal-Mart automotive
section. They have the little pint bottles for about 75 cents...which have
kept all of my landscape maintenance crews running for over two years now.
For those of you who use very little fuel, I recommend buying only one
gallon at a time, and also purchasing 89 octane.

Good luck.

Old 15-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Srgnt Billko

"JD" wrote in message
m...
My suggestion is this:

Run all your equipment with 50:1. The richer the blend, the more apt you
are to overheat and scauld the bearings. While it may seem that more oil
would prevent wear/tear...it is quite opposite in a 2 cycle motor. The
lubrication is throughout the entire engine, and the richer the blend, the
harder it is on the life of the engine components (especially if running

at
high rpms).

Could be - I almost always run my equipment for short periods of time - like
today I had 2 chains saws out and alternated using them.

Old 15-11-2004, 01:58 AM
GFRfan

JD wrote:
[...]

Around here, *all* the 89 octane gas is ethanol blended. Now I know this
plays havoc with the rubber parts in a carburetor. How compatible is
this with 2 cycle engines and the oil gas mix?
Old 16-11-2004, 02:33 AM
Chip Stein

Try this: stick one index finger into a cup of oil and your other index
finger into a cup of gas. Pull out both fingers at the same time. Which
one feels cooler? I attended a two week repair course for Stihl products,
and it made a believer out of me.

try this and it works because gas evaporates at room temperature,
that's why it feels cooler. the less oil you run the hotter the
equipment will run, that's why at stihl school they harp on
adjustments and lean seizure. I went there too.
if you run stihl, echo, tanaka, husqvarna.. oils they are true
multi-ratio oils. run them at 50:1 even in old 32:1 or 16:1 and it
will be fine.
don't by the cheaper outboard oil!! it combusts befor entering
the combustion chamber, and will roast a 2-stroke in short order.
Chip