Old 01-04-2005, 01:24 AM
Kyle Boatright

Default Zoysia Varieties

I cannot find a comprehensive evaluation of Zoysia varieties other than the
National Turfgrass Evaluation tests which are a very "dry" read. Can anyone
point me to a website that does a good job with a side by side comparison of
the characteristics of all (OK, I'll settle for most) of the common
varieties:

Meyer
Emerald
Zeon
Zenith
El Toro
There are several others as well.

Thanks in advance.

KB

Old 01-04-2005, 03:15 AM
GFRfan

Kyle Boatright wrote:
I cannot find a comprehensive evaluation of Zoysia varieties other than the
National Turfgrass Evaluation tests which are a very "dry" read. Can anyone
point me to a website that does a good job with a side by side comparison of
the characteristics of all (OK, I'll settle for most) of the common
varieties:

Meyer
Emerald
Zeon
Zenith
El Toro
There are several others as well.

Thanks in advance.

KB

All I want to know is how you kill this crappy, green 3 months out of
the year, brown 9 months, grass.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:01 AM
Kyle Boatright

"GFRfan" wrote in message

All I want to know is how you kill this crappy, green 3 months out of the
year, brown 9 months, grass.

Roundup works well. What part of the country are you in? Here (Atlanta),
Zoysia is green from April through most of November.

KB

Old 01-04-2005, 07:02 AM

Try seedland.com, I think they have some comparison info. Like GFR,
I'm not a big fan of Zoysia either. It's a very aggressive, invasive
grass, which can be good except when it wants to spread into areas like
driveways,etc. And being green from April thru Nov in Atlanta pretty
much sums it up.

I'm in coastal NJ and my tall fescue/blue grass is dark green from
April thru Jan. It usually only goes somewhat off color in late Jan
-Feb, and even then it still looks pretty good with some decent color
left. By comparison, a neighbor has Zoysia, and in mid Oct, when it
goes brown, it has a real dried out light brown appearance till mid
May. If it looks like that in Atl when it goes off color, even if its
only for a few months, I'd look for an alternative.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:56 PM
GFRfan

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"GFRfan" wrote in message

All I want to know is how you kill this crappy, green 3 months out of the
year, brown 9 months, grass.

Roundup works well. What part of the country are you in? Here (Atlanta),
Zoysia is green from April through most of November.

KB

Iowa. Neighbor plugged some years ago and now it's all over the
neighborhood. Good looking grass when it's active but not good for this
zone. I had considered just cutting it as sod and reseeding with
rye-bluegrass mix but not sure how to get rid of the sod afterwards.
I guess I'll just wait till the middle of May and roundup the crap then
try to get some cool weather grass to start. Probably look pretty bad
till fall when I can do an effective seeding.

Zoysia Grass Ross Lawns 7 05-05-2003 10:56 PM
Q: Are these claims on Zoysia true? John Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
St. Aug or Zoysia? Gary Harper Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Soft Zoysia in south Florida Rick DeBay Gardening 0 06-03-2003 08:16 PM
Zoysia grass Ablang Gardening 4 24-02-2003 04:15 PM