Old 18-06-2008, 07:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default It's official (Verizon) - Anyone care if I post pictures at RGO?

I can't see pictures posted to rgo via my Verizon service, so while I don't
care if people post there, I will not be able to see them. I will however
be able to see all text based flame wars that surround them.

That message from Verizon is stupid in many ways, chiefly stupid because
they tell you to UNSUBSCRIBE and try using guilt to make you do it; I
paraphrase: "other people may experience slow throughput if you don't
unsubscribe... which is a violation of our Acceptable Use Policy." Why not
just disable the hierarchies they want to get rid of. Or better yet, just
drop the ones that get reported for porn? They certainly have the authority
and ability to not serve up services they don't want us to use. But I guess
my outrage at this stupidity is unproductive.

Old 19-06-2008, 05:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Is it just Verizon customers that will be affected or everyone. I would
just die
if I couldn't post here. I love this group.
Cheers Wendy
"Joan F (MI)" wrote in message
You can easily create a Google group and you can post images to them now,
friend just created one that I joined and you can either follow it on the
group site or receive new posts in email. I am reading mine in gmail on
the
web to keep it separate from my regular email, but you can use any email
address. The image appears as a thumbnail in the message and when you
click
View you get it full sized. I've always hated web based groups but must
say
this works quite well.

Old 19-06-2008, 07:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Ray,

I have been looking at setting up a news-group server for hosting abpo and
rgo archives. As it would be publicly accessible, would that alleviate the
pressures for you???

Kye

"Ray B" wrote in message
Dear Verizon Online Customer,

As a Verizon Newsgroup service user, we wanted to let you know about some
important changes that we will soon be making to our Newsgroup service.

On June 24, 2008, we will be modifying our Newsgroup offerings to only
offer groups in the Big-8 Newsgroup hierarchies, which are listed below.
The 0.verizon.* newsgroup hierarchy will also continue to be available.
Users will not be able to post or download from any other newsgroups using
our Newsgroup service.

comp.*
humanities.*
misc.*
news.*
rec.*
sci.*
soc.*
talk.*

More details regarding the Big 8 newsgroup hierarchies is available at:
http://www.big-8.org/.

This change will not affect your Internet access service. If you would
like to subscribe to newsgroups other than those we offer, you will need
to subscribe to a separate commercial news service. Please note that your
use of any such service is still subject to our Terms of Service and
Acceptable Use Policy.

There are no changes required to your software, but you will need to
unsubscribe from all Newsgroups other than the Big 8 hierarchies and the
0.verizon.* hierarchy noted above. The following link explains how to
subscribe and unsubscribe in Outlook Express:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171190

IMPORTANT: If you continue to subscribe to unsupported newsgroups, you may
experience poor computer performance and slow throughput speeds. Failure
to unsubscribe may also interfere with the functioning of the Verizon
network or use of the network by other Verizon users, which is a violation
of our Acceptable Use Policy.

We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you in
the future.

Sincerely,

Verizon Online

Old 20-06-2008, 12:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Basically, only a binaries group should have files posted to it under the
rules that were established when usenet was created many decades ago. Those
rules are now a part of netiquette and many people get irate when they are
broken.

I created abpo because there were people posting photos to rgo and a great
many flame wars were being started by it.

Kye

Old 20-06-2008, 01:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

As was mentioned yesterday, as such groups are not intended for images, some
ISP's block them.

I posted a message on RGO yesterday with an image (via Verizon), has anyone
seen it?

Old 20-06-2008, 03:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Haven't seen it yet Ray.

I have in the past accidentally posted photos to RGO and these have
appeared, so not sure that they will necessarily get stripped off.

John

Old 20-06-2008, 05:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Its not that they will get stripped universally, but that some servers will
not allow binaries to transmit through on non-binary groups, therefore
limiting their users ability to view them

Kye

om...

Old 20-06-2008, 12:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks for the clarification, Kye.

OK so it is blocked from even getting onto Usenet! That makes life
difficult. Please explain in more detail your proposal, "I have been
looking at setting up a news-group server for hosting abpo and rgo archives.
As it would be publicly accessible, would that alleviate the pressures for
you???"

There are archives already available e.g.
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/group...2Eorchids.html

Cheers

John

Old 20-06-2008, 02:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

John,

Yes there are already archives available in a great many formats and payment
options. But I have been toying with the idea for a few years now (since
before I made abpo) and now havethe facility to build a news-server to serve
abpo and rgo to people. Basically, I will be building the server with a
"never delete messages" option for myself, Rays (and a few others) dilemma
just causes me to want to make it go public a few years earlier than I had
intended.

"Ray B" wrote in message
As was mentioned yesterday, as such groups are not intended for images,
some ISP's block them.

I posted a message on RGO yesterday with an image (via Verizon), has
anyone seen it?

Rate This Thread: