Old 16-11-2005, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill

Default New program: Orchidwiz

Hi all, I recently picked up the news of a new program on another
orchid chat group. Orchidwiz. Forgive me if you've known about it for a
long time-- but if you haven't, check it out: http://www.orchidwiz.com
I bought one & it is fabulous !!! Good Growing, Bill

Old 16-11-2005, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Thanks Bill, wondering if anyone else has purchased this. Going to
research it now.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 17-11-2005, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Bill wrote:
Hi all, I recently picked up the news of a new program on another
orchid chat group. Orchidwiz. Forgive me if you've known about it for a
long time-- but if you haven't, check it out: http://www.orchidwiz.com
I bought one & it is fabulous !!! Good Growing, Bill

I bought it too. I'm going to test it at Monday's judging so I can see
how it works under real working conditions. I have no connection with
OrchidWiz. I can only imagine that this must be what driving a Ferrarri
is like. Wow!! But I'm gushing...

Again, I must reiterate that I have nothing whatsoever to do with this
product. But so far I like it. I'll let you know on Tuesday about any
difficulties I have with it on Monday.

K Barrett
Old 17-11-2005, 08:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tennis maynard

wendy7 wrote:
Thanks Bill, wondering if anyone else has purchased this. Going to
research it now.

Not me. Not available in Mac format.
Old 17-11-2005, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:09:45 GMT in tennis maynard wrote:
wendy7 wrote:
Thanks Bill, wondering if anyone else has purchased this. Going to
research it now.

Not me. Not available in Mac format.

Not me either. Not available for Linux.

And to be honest, I'm more interested in the collection of information
that comes with the app than the actual app.

A quick skim of the product information indicates that it has atleast
the following information.

1) Information on genus, species, etc, where the pieces are essentially
in the public domain, but the collection is not.
2) Information from RHS, AHS, wildcatt concerning genealogy and awards.
3) Statistical analysis of the above with what may be a questionable
interpretation.

What does the product contain that I'm missing?
What are more direct routes for obtaining #1 and #2?

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

Old 18-11-2005, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith ;-\)

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
Hi all, I recently picked up the news of a new program on another
orchid chat group. Orchidwiz. Forgive me if you've known about it for a
long time-- but if you haven't, check it out: http://www.orchidwiz.com
I bought one & it is fabulous !!! Good Growing, Bill

I bought it too. I'm going to test it at Monday's judging so I can see
how it works under real working conditions. I have no connection with
OrchidWiz. I can only imagine that this must be what driving a Ferrarri
is like. Wow!! But I'm gushing...

Again, I must reiterate that I have nothing whatsoever to do with this
product. But so far I like it. I'll let you know on Tuesday about any
difficulties I have with it on Monday.

K Barrett

Looks a very good bit of software but I think very expensive at $175,at the
end of the day I bet it doesn't take more effort to make than a computer
game as most of the info is obtainable.But you can get a pc game for upto
$50,I would be surprised if above this.And personally I find having to pay
for updates a rip off when you have paid all that for the software in the
first place.
Keith

Old 19-11-2005, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ted Byers

"keith ;-)" wrote in message

Looks a very good bit of software but I think very expensive at $175,at
the
end of the day I bet it doesn't take more effort to make than a computer
game as most of the info is obtainable.But you can get a pc game for upto
$50,I would be surprised if above this.And personally I find having to pay
for updates a rip off when you have paid all that for the software in the
first place.
Keith

There is much more that goes into the pricing of a software product than the
programming effort required to produce it. For example, there is the market
size, and the nature of that market. A consumer product will see a much
larger market than a commercial product, but a consumer product sold for
hundreds of dollars will not capture nearly as much of the market as would
one costing about $50. But one costing $5 will not likely survive either
because at that price, most would believe, fairly or not, that it is just
cheap garbage. A commercial product, OTOH, will normally cost a few hundred
dollars, if sold using a convential business model, and I have seen prices
go up through thousands of dollars and even millions of dollars, depending
on the nature of the software and the nature of the business it serves.

I have developed decision support software for a market in which there may
be, at most, a few thousand potential clients in North America, and that
software was sold for C$25,000 for one license. It was a commercial success
however, because those customers who bought it had an urgent need for it,
and the company that paid to have it developed still uses it to support
consulting services that simply would be impossible without it. It is
certain, though, that it takes much much more than six man-years to develop
a decent computer game. A custom product, which by definition has a market
comprised of only one customer, that took six man-years to develop could
well carry a price of a million dollars or more.

From what I saw on that company's website, and the nature of the software
being sold, that product may well be a bargain at $1000 if it proves to be
of good quality. And we haven't begun to talk about business models based
on open source software.

As for paying for updates, much depends on the nature of the updates. If
the updates are simply bug fixes, the usual practice, at least among
ethical software developers, is that such updates are available free of
charge; a kind of warranty service. However, if the updates involve
primarily new features or additional useful data, that involves an
improvement of the product and it makes no more sense to provide those free
of charge than it does for an automaker to upgrade your car to the current
model year for free. Look at MS Windows, for example. There are still
regular updates for MS Windows 2000 Pro, for free. At the same time,
Microsoft will not upgrade a license to use Windows 2000 to a license to use
Windows XP without charging you for the priviledge. (This is in no way an
endorsement of MS products.) How often such an upgrade would be appropriate
will, of course, depend on the nature of the product.

NB: I do not have any financial interest in, or business relationship with,
the company that produced the software described in this thread.

Cheers,

Ted

--
R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D.
R & D Decision Support Solutions

Old 20-11-2005, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

keith ;-) wrote:
"K Barrett" wrote in message

Bill wrote:

[...]

Well yeah, but if you put a thousand man hours into producing a video
game there are hopes of selling millions of copies of it.
You put a thousand hours into entering orchid data and... well, there
just aren't that many of us who will be buying it.

Steve

Old 20-11-2005, 08:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith ;-\)

"Steve" wrote in message
keith ;-) wrote:
"K Barrett" wrote in message

Bill wrote:

[...]

So does this prove ,that you are buying something that is not worth the cost
and these companys price themselves out of the market. Either way it does
look excellent,i was interested until i saw the price tag.I have lots of
other things more important to spend my cash on.
Thanks Keith

Old 21-11-2005, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:56:13 GMT in keith ;-) wrote:
So does this prove ,that you are buying something that is not worth the cost
and these companys price themselves out of the market. Either way it does
look excellent,i was interested until i saw the price tag.I have lots of
other things more important to spend my cash on.
Thanks Keith

This goes back to my earlier question of what information does the product
include?
Related to that is what format(s) are data such as wildcatt and RHS
and AOS awards in?

OrchidWiz 4.0 K Barrett Orchids 19 03-07-2007 02:26 PM
OrchidWiz CD K Barrett Orchids 61 15-12-2005 05:51 PM
Gardening Webmasters.. Unqiue New Aff Program for You Fazly United Kingdom 0 03-01-2005 03:58 PM
[IBC] New PowerPoint Program, Bonsai & Penjing Museum [email protected] Bonsai 0 20-07-2004 10:03 PM
[IBC] New PowerPoint Program, Bonsai & Penjing Museum [email protected] Bonsai 0 15-07-2004 09:02 PM