Old 09-04-2003, 05:08 AM

Default Anybody want a free parrot???

::sigh::: Not really. But.... some days, I really have to wonder!

Griz did it again. She got out of her cage and made an unauthorized
terrorist flight across the kitchen to my sink. There, she ate my
lovely little Phal. HiLo Lip 'Sandra' that had just finished putting
up a pretty new leaf. Everything is completely gone; there is nothing
left to even attempt to save.

This parrot has very expensive taste in "toys" -- I'll give her that!
But how come she NEVER bothers with my old NOID Phals from the Home
Despot??? Shoot! I could afford to buy her one of those every week to
destroy, if only she'd agree to leave my expensive named plants alone.

Just needed to vent! PETS!!! Can't live with 'em; can't eat 'em!!!

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"
Old 09-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

writes:
PETS!!! Can't live with 'em; can't eat 'em!!!

Who says?

Geir
Old 09-04-2003, 01:56 PM
matilda

She got out of her cage
Why don't you buy a wire and make it impossible for her to open the door?
I realize it's more trouble when you need to clean the cage or put food
there but you can save your plants I guess

Old 09-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Gene Schurg

Karen,

Let the bird free in the house and put the plants in the cage. I have never
seen a phal escape.

Sorry about the Hilo Lip.

Good Growing,
Gene

P.S. I have a great receipe for stuffed Parrot (bad joke I know).

Old 09-04-2003, 04:44 PM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Wed, 09 Apr 2003 14:03:16 GMT,
"Gene Schurg" did speak the
following bit of wisdom:

P.S. I have a great receipe for stuffed Parrot (bad joke I know).

LOL Gene!

One of these days, somebody definitely needs to put up a picture of an
African Grey Parrot on their list of most harmful and/or notorious
orchid pests, right there between the mealy bugs and spider mites!

The upshot is that she kills plants more often than I do. I guess I
can get some sort of perverse pleasure out of that fact!

Still... There are some days where thoughts about deep-fried parrot
(tastes like chicken?) served up on a bed of fresh orchid greens dance
through my head! Don't gimme a reason bird!!!
* * * * *

Old 09-04-2003, 07:08 PM
femalestrom

All pets seem to think the word "no" means yes.

Crystal

--
Nostradamus was just a bad poet with a paranoid streak.

- Penn Gillette
news

Old 09-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 15:34:21 GMT, wrote:

[...]

I have a friend that says bitter apple spray or tobacco and water
works to keep them away.

Yes, I will have to educate her about the dangers of tobacco
mosaic virus. For those that have not heard. Smokers should
wash their hands, not smoke around the plants and you should not
use tobacco products to make bug killers. Because tobacco
viruses can be transferred to orchids. No one has published a
report of how easily the transfer is made; But it makes a great
excuse to keep the weed out.

SuE
Old 09-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Kenni Judd

I could send you my cat [Jill, so named b/c she really does come "tumbling
after"]; I'm sure she'd keep the bird in line, but she's been known to
nibble a few leaves here or there herself. She hasn't actually consumed any
yet, just leaves some interesting bite-marks, so it might be a small
improvement ...

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 09-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Diana Kulaga

Karen,

Our cat, Casper (white, blue eyes, dirty face) likes to rub against the big
Dends that sit on the concrete patio. The other day I saw one about to
topple and caught it just in time. No use reprimanding Casper, b/c he rolls
over for a tummy rub. So far, no damage. Sorry about your plant. That's
one of the reasons this ng is so useful.........we get to rant!

Diana

Old 09-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Kenni Judd

Who's Karen? Or are there more posts I can't see?

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
rthlink.net...

Old 10-04-2003, 01:32 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:18:26
-0400, "Kenni Judd" did speak the following bit
of wisdom:

Who's Karen? Or are there more posts I can't see?

Whoops. I believe Diana was responding to my rant and put her post
under your reply. And yup... I totally agree about the value of
ranting, not to mention this happy little group! It sure takes the
pressure off to know that other folks will feel sorry for you at the
loss of an orchid. "Non-orchid-addicted" folk such as my hubby sure
don't. Now husbands? Hmmmm... That's another rant entirely!

* * * * *

Old 10-04-2003, 06:20 AM
tom bell

http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html

This thread could go on forever. I'm surprised that there's been
no mention of the classic John Cleese sketch about the defunct
parrot.
Tom

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids

Old 10-04-2003, 01:32 PM
molli

no one has mentioned what KIND Of parrot is is.....Just because the 'big'
ones can destroy your house in a day or less, lets not forget the small
parrots who can wreak havock on plant collections and not get caught if they
start in the middle.

--

Hugs,
Molli

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids

Old 10-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Mark Prout

A member or our orchid society has a smaller, NOISY parrot. It's fairly
ambivalent about orchids, but from time to time it chooses one on which to
practice its pruning skills. It also likes to help with repotting, but can
only manage half the task. The rest of the time it just sits on its
perch(es), squawks, eats and s***s. A charming creature. (To be fair, the
latter two behaviors are common to all living creatures, including ourselves
.... and spouses for that matter.)

Old 10-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

Who's Karen? Or are there more posts I can't see?

Sorry, Kenni - I think I misplaced my last post. Karen is the original
poster (onewaits, etc.)

Diana