Old 16-07-2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bobo

Default My Sick Phal

Please see my website, http://www.jimcraft.us/Sick%20Phal/index.htm: This
condition has happened to my Phal 2 or 3 times. It sits in an East facing
window with plenty of light no direct sunlight. Humidity around 50 to 60
percent, temperature 70 to 73 degrees. It is watered regularly and fed at
least once a month. I can get rid of the white spots by gently rubbing them
under room temperature running water but these spots come back after a week
or two. Can anyone please help me with this problem?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 16-07-2006, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Edmond Cormier

They look like mealybugs.Most pesticides will kill them. Also Alcohol,also a
water and soap
Ed Cormier
nk.net...

Old 16-07-2006, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I agree with Ed...mealies.

Use either straight isopropyl alcohol from the drugstore or a tablespoon of
liquid dishwashing soap in a gallon of water. Spray early in the day,
wetting all leaf surfaces, letting it stand in the crevices. Repeat every
three days for 3 or 4 times and they should be all gone.

"Edmond Cormier" wrote in message
They look like mealybugs.Most pesticides will kill them. Also Alcohol,also
a water and soap
Ed Cormier
nk.net...

Old 16-07-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bobo

Thanks,

I examined the spots with a 10X loupe and sure enough they were mealy bugs.
I reposted the pictures with a blow-up plainly showing them. Click on the
center picture. I have started the alcohol treatment. Many thanks for the
help.

Jim

nk.net...

Old 16-07-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

No offence, but if you've been around orchid growing long enough, no damned
close-up was needed!

"Bobo" wrote in message
.net...
Thanks,

I examined the spots with a 10X loupe and sure enough they were mealy
bugs. I reposted the pictures with a blow-up plainly showing them. Click
on the center picture. I have started the alcohol treatment. Many thanks
for the help.

Jim

nk.net...

Old 16-07-2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bobo

Gee Ray, Please pardon my newbie ass!!! This is my first orchid and I did
post the pictures, including the damned blow-up, in case there were other
newbies like me who are wondering what mealy bugs are. I'm sorry, but I
thought this board was to help people like me and other orchid newbies who
are just getting started.

Jim

. ..

"Bobo" wrote in message
.net...
Thanks,

I examined the spots with a 10X loupe and sure enough they were mealy
bugs. I reposted the pictures with a blow-up plainly showing them. Click
on the center picture. I have started the alcohol treatment. Many
thanks for the help.

Jim

nk.net...

Old 16-07-2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Chill, Jim. That's exactly what we are here for. Please keep posting. I
think Ray probably thought you were more experienced. He's one of our most
helpful and knowledgeable members.

Visit his web site for loads of good information, all free, and great plants
and materials:

www.firstrays.com .

Welcome!

Diana

Old 17-07-2006, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Diana - thanks for the support.

Jim - sorry if I sounded condescending. I was really joking - and in an
apparently feeble way - trying to point out that it wasn't inexperience that
led to the issue, as every one of us has been through the same issues - and
worse!

Remember, you're not an orchid-growing expert until you have killed your
weight in plants! Fortunately, as I've gotten older, my body seems to be
accommodating more and more room for further executions.

Old 17-07-2006, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Hey, did you ever notice when someone starts a statement with the words
"no offense", you just naturally brace yourself for being offended? I
knew you weren't going to take that well (because I wouldn't either if I
were in your position).
I'll back up Diana and say that Ray is one of our most helpful posters
here. I've been on here since 1997 and I've seen countless posts from
Ray and he's a good guy.
Now, if that's all I had to say, I might not have bothered. I really hit
the reply button to ask if you have any other plants (including non
orchids) anywhere near the infested Phal. Do you? If you do, you should
be inspecting them carefully to see if mealies have started living
beyond the one you showed.

Steve

Bobo wrote:
Gee Ray, Please pardon my newbie ass!!! This is my first orchid and I did
post the pictures, including the damned blow-up, in case there were other
newbies like me who are wondering what mealy bugs are. I'm sorry, but I
thought this board was to help people like me and other orchid newbies who
are just getting started.

Jim

. ..

"Bobo" wrote in message
nk.net...

Thanks,

I examined the spots with a 10X loupe and sure enough they were mealy
bugs. I reposted the pictures with a blow-up plainly showing them. Click
on the center picture. I have started the alcohol treatment. Many
thanks for the help.

Jim

hlink.net...

Old 17-07-2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pat Brennan

.. . . and from the dark side.

Got to say Ray, your post made me smile and nod my head.

Pat

Old 17-07-2006, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

By the weight criteria method of determining expertness, I have gone way
beyond my weight limit in dead plants and I am even at one of my highest
"off-treadmill" sizes. I guess that makes ME an orchid god, even if only a
lower case one.

I think lots of people who have been using this newsgroup for years knew
what "white spots that rub off but keep coming back" must be without any
pictures. Yet, in terms of commonly used buzz words, "fuzzy" was missing.
Survey says, "Fuzzy is the number one word. So the poster gets points for
originality in his/her verbal description of a very commonly discussed
problem. And you don't lose points for being a newbie OR asking a commonly
asked question and using the offending word creatively in your response to
the response shows a hint of class.

Thank you for posting pictures of bugs in abpo. We don't get enough of
those. Seriously.

Apparently almost all of us decided to let somebody else answer the question
so we are all either on vacation or buried beyond help in dead orchid plants
and wallowing in our "expertness". I have not decided yet if this calls for
negatively awarded points. I will think about it and get back to you.

Ray gets a point just because he keeps answering the same questions after
all these years even if he did let a fighting word slip in. Feeble? Only
in your sense of humor apparently. And it's probably just an intermittent
problem. Tone of voice is hard to judge when you don't know the person
whose writing you are reading. So I am taking the point back. You have
enough points anyway.

Everybody else gets a point just for showing up and saying something. I get
an extra point because I am the one awarding points today and anybody who
has not yet joined in and wants a point must demonstrate they know how to
deescalate a slightly incendiary moment in an otherwise flame free month and
do so without spelling any words wrong. What are we at, four...five months
now without even a hint of a flame. I think it might even be longer. And
that's got to be a Usenet record.

We could have a flame war just to have one, but in the words of Comic Book
Guy from The Simpson, "You don't want to start a barf war you can not win"

Big smile. Ducking and covering....

. ..

Old 18-07-2006, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G.

Bobo wrote:
Thanks,

I examined the spots with a 10X loupe and sure enough they were mealy bugs.
I reposted the pictures with a blow-up plainly showing them. Click on the
center picture. I have started the alcohol treatment. Many thanks for the
help.

Jim

Continue to watch them. Sometimes parasites or their eggs get missed
because they are in the mix and not thoroughly covered with a topical
treatment. It may require a mild drench. I don't know if you have any
other orchids or houseplants, but you should inspect all your plants
and isolate the current victim to prevent spreading the infestation.

Nancy