Old 25-07-2006, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Larry Dighera's Avatar
Registered User

Default Request for the group...

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 19:38:31 -0400, "Mick Fournier"
wrote in
::

So as you can see my news reader straightens out all that
unreadable bottom posting and makes it right like God intended posts to be
read.

So then a mixture of top and bottom posted follow up articles are
archived on GoogleGroups causing Usenet researchers no end of
difficulty in parsing the message thread.

While that may not be much of an issue in RGO, it can be in newsgroups
were information is posted instead of social chit chat.

Bottom posting is chronological; later comments occur after earlier
comments.

Have we become so lazy, that we would rather destroy the coherence of
the message archive rather than spin the wheel on our mouse's?

/rant mode
Old 25-07-2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Larry,

Yup.

Mick

Old 25-07-2006, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Therein lies the problem: Lack of conformity resulting in confusion
when trying to (a) follow a thread and (b) decipher who a poster is
replying to. Bottom posting is traditionally the domain of
newsgroups/usenet, as it gives newcomers to the thread an easy to read,
chronological order of the text and means you don't have to keep
scrolling up and down trying to catch up. Top posting is traditionally
the domain of email, where the reader should already know what has
already been said because chances are they wrote it.

Rob wrote:
Ray wrote:

Or should I have put the line about middle posting here.

Top-posting is bad??? I've never heard that bit of "netiquette", but then
again, here and abpo are the only groups I frequent.

It can get confusing when people don't edit replies. The real confusion
with top posting comes when people try to respond to individual
statements by posting in the middle of quoted text.

If we're stuck with that, may I modify my request and suggest that folk take
a second and remove the 3rd- through 99th generations of quoted messages
before they post? It is a waste of time to scroll through 3 pages of quotes
to end up finding the gem of "I guess you're right, Fred. I'll try that."
or "Good one", so I end up NOT reading those messages at all, and probably
miss some good stuff.

That's the real bane of reading newsgroups. Solved very easily if
people remembered a little thing like SNIP. Of course, if people
can't be bothered scrolling down to the bottom of the post to produce
an easy to follow written discussion, it's hard to claim the moral
highground over people who can't be bothered deleting irrelevant quoted
text.

Me too

I always (almost always) post after the quoted message. I don't know
why, but I suspect I've been doing it for 15 years or so... I don't
think I have the mental agility to change now. Of course I always trim
as much as possible from the original message.

Sorry, I meant me too.
SNIP

Old 25-07-2006, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Agree with Mick on this one.

~John

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
Larry,

Yup.

Mick

Old 25-07-2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Larry Dighera's Avatar
Registered User

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
. ..
Larry,

Yup.

Mick

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:36:16 +1000, "John Varigos"
wrote in
: :

Agree with Mick on this one.

~John

Given the fact that Mick has responded in the affirmative to my
comments, it appears that the three of us all agree now. :-)

Old 26-07-2006, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Larry Dighera wrote:

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
.. .

Larry,

Yup.

Mick

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:36:16 +1000, "John Varigos"
wrote in
: :

Agree with Mick on this one.

~John

Given the fact that Mick has responded in the affirmative to my
comments, it appears that the three of us all agree now. :-)

Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?
Old 26-07-2006, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve,

Nope.

Mick

=====================

Old 28-07-2006, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

you wish mick

ive seen your hair piece
"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
Chris,

I never miss a picture. I am picture perfect.

Mick

"?" wrote in message
rg...
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:05:11 -0400 in
Mick Fournier
wrote:

You mean if we bottom post, you won't notice if we slip in
a picture?

--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."

Kathy,

I have always top posted. I didn't know bottom posting was a problem
here.
I don't read bottom posters so I wouldn't even know they were here
spreading
their disgusting filthy drivel on RGO. So you see, I wouldn't even be
able
to catch them to reprimand their errant misguided ancient ways.

Old 28-07-2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

ive been fired from posting here b4
called a troll
small minded
mean spirited
homophobe

Snip

but yeah, top posting will get you fried in some places. so will
bottom posting. so will posting at all.

i agree, trimming is best.

SNIP

i like shaving better then trimming

Duck the snippers still lurk here

if your not a girl or intrupted or at least share her opine of the world or
at least let her scream her world view over yours you will get fired,
flamed, condemed, roasted, bombed, your heritage will be called into
question, your ancestery will be claimed to only posses one branch on you
mothers side, and the like...............

Old 28-07-2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Jay,

Strange... your mother had no objection to my hairy piece. I always thought
"like mother, like son"... but then again maybe I am wrong.

Mick