Old 21-07-2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Default Request for the group...

....and maybe a bit anal, but...

Please configure your newsgroup client to add your response ABOVE the quoted
message.

When I have been following a thread, it's a PITA to have to scroll down
through tons of quoted info to find your response. I already know what's
been going on, and I want to know YOUR response, and not have to drill down
through what I've already read.

If I'm new to the thread, I'll be happy to dig a bit more.

Old 21-07-2006, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:35:16 -0400 in Ray wrote:
...and maybe a bit anal, but...

Please configure your newsgroup client to add your response ABOVE the quoted
message.

Alas, that runs counter to the "netiquette" RFC.
If top posting is the preferred method, it should have been
in or added to the charter referenced at newsgroup creation.
On the other hand...

[Complaint Sneeped]

If I'm new to the thread, I'll be happy to dig a bit more.

Well if folks would trim, which is also suggested in the RFC,
it wouldn't be as onerous.
Better newsreaders also tend to have keystrokes to jump
past quoted text.

To be fair, I haven't been anal enough to find the newgroup message
nor see if there is a related charter.
--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."
Old 21-07-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:04:03 -0700 in yCWvg.112070$TK1.44208@fed1read06 wendy7 wrote:
Ray, Would you mean we should "Top Post"??

You know,
top posting works out pretty good when the magic
signature delimiter comes before the quoted material.

Old 21-07-2006, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Yeah, I know its not nettiquette, and I've been reamed for top posting on
other newsgroups, but sheesh. I like top posting for the same reasons why
Ray does. I know what you've said and am looking for your response. But
then, I have no life and the newsgroup is my entire world, so I remember
what goes on here. If I had a life, with people and friends, I may not
remember what anyone said due to real life's interference. So I could
understand why some folks might like to be reminded of what other people
said by scrolling past previous comments and then post my comment to the
end.

Perhaps its more healthy to be a bottom poster. At the very least it would
indicate that you have a life, or can at least pretend you do, or maybe that
you can move away from the computer for enough connected hours in a period
of time to forget what goes on here.

Who the posting cop should be I have no idea. Just don't let it be Mick..
He already is the picture police.

I think Wendy should be top post cop. Wendy would rule with a polite, light
hand.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

K Barrett

"wendy7" wrote in message
Ray, Would you mean we should "Top Post"??

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 21-07-2006, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Kathy,

I have always top posted. I didn't know bottom posting was a problem here.
I don't read bottom posters so I wouldn't even know they were here spreading
their disgusting filthy drivel on RGO. So you see, I wouldn't even be able
to catch them to reprimand their errant misguided ancient ways.

Mick

========================

. ..

Old 21-07-2006, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Ray,
I'm with you as far as finding it much easier when the new message is at
the top. However, I've visited other newsgroups, usually briefly when I
needed to find something out. I've seen posters seriously flamed for top
posting. I've been a little leery of top posting since seeing how angry
it makes some people.
Here, in RGO and in the other orchid and gardening groups I read all the
time, I might do either. If I'm 3rd or 4th in line, I'll certainly
follow the trend in that thread. In other words, if a reply has already
been added to the bottom, my post will be below that one.
Oh, one other thing. I'm big on quoting the one part that I have a
comment about and snipping out all other parts. It shows what my comment
relates to and nothing else. I've seen people flamed for doing that too
and I find it hard to understand why.

Steve

Old 21-07-2006, 08:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Diana,

Have another contest, that's the solution... BTW, the cookies were yummy.

Mick

=======================

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
"To which you wish to reply"........What a mess that was!

Diana

Old 21-07-2006, 10:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Top-posting is bad??? I've never heard that bit of "netiquette", but then
again, here and abpo are the only groups I frequent.

If we're stuck with that, may I modify my request and suggest that folk take
a second and remove the 3rd- through 99th generations of quoted messages
before they post? It is a waste of time to scroll through 3 pages of quotes
to end up finding the gem of "I guess you're right, Fred. I'll try that."
or "Good one", so I end up NOT reading those messages at all, and probably
miss some good stuff.

Oh well. My bad. I guess I'll have to live with it...

Old 21-07-2006, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Ray wrote:
Top-posting is bad??? I've never heard that bit of "netiquette", but then
again, here and abpo are the only groups I frequent.

If we're stuck with that, may I modify my request and suggest that folk take
a second and remove the 3rd- through 99th generations of quoted messages
before they post? It is a waste of time to scroll through 3 pages of quotes
to end up finding the gem of "I guess you're right, Fred. I'll try that."
or "Good one", so I end up NOT reading those messages at all, and probably
miss some good stuff.

I always (almost always) post after the quoted message. I don't know
why, but I suspect I've been doing it for 15 years or so... I don't
think I have the mental agility to change now. Of course I always trim
as much as possible from the original message.

I too do not read messages that are a mess of quotations within
quotations. No time or patience for that. *grin*

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 21-07-2006, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Rob wrote:
I too do not read messages that are a mess of quotations within
quotations. No time or patience for that. *grin*

Rob

That reminds me of another little pet peeve. I sometimes I look at a
post with layers of quoted posts and I actually can't find where the
sender added anything. Sometimes I swear they forgot to write anything
but usually it's because they didn't bother to tap the enter key once or
twice to make a little space between the quote and what they wrote.

Steve

Old 21-07-2006, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Thanks, but no thanks Kathy!
I have always top posted & probably always will as I like to keep things simple.

Old 21-07-2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 05:32:58 -0400 in Ray wrote:
Top-posting is bad??? I've never heard that bit of "netiquette", but then
again, here and abpo are the only groups I frequent.

By default top-posting is bad unless there is something existing counter
to it.
Reasonable back when USENET was largely UUCP transported,
lower traffic, and less reliable.

If we're stuck with that, may I modify my request and suggest that folk take
a second and remove the 3rd- through 99th generations of quoted messages
before they post? It is a waste of time to scroll through 3 pages of quotes

People are lazy selfish critters that can't be arsed to trim
which is the OTHER part of the RFC.
(Which is requisite when traffic is going over slow modem
links going frequently via long distance telephone).

Oh well. My bad. I guess I'll have to live with it...

Take to flaming and complaining to the ISP of folks that
don't trim :-).

Old 21-07-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:57:03 -0400, Rob
wrote:

I always (almost always) post after the quoted message. I don't know
why, but I suspect I've been doing it for 15 years or so... I don't
think I have the mental agility to change now. Of course I always trim
as much as possible from the original message.

I too do not read messages that are a mess of quotations within
quotations. No time or patience for that. *grin*

Rob

Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

And Here I thought you did it because the rules were in a "sig block"
and would post at the bottom. That is why I don't top post.
I like to see my 'Sig Block' below my comment.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids