Old 21-07-2006, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Joe T

Default Request for the group...

Joe T wrote:
Test
Joe T
Ray wrote:
...and maybe a bit anal, but...

Please configure your newsgroup client to add your response ABOVE the quoted
message.

When I have been following a thread, it's a PITA to have to scroll down
through tons of quoted info to find your response. I already know what's
been going on, and I want to know YOUR response, and not have to drill down
through what I've already read.

If I'm new to the thread, I'll be happy to dig a bit more.

Quoted from GOOGLE Help

"How can I automatically quote the previous message when I post a
reply?

If you are replying to a post in a Usenet newsgroup, both the "Reply"
link at the bottom of the post and the one under "show options" at the
top of the post will quote the full text of the previous message in the
composition window.

If you are replying to a post in a Google Group, you can select either
the "Reply with quote" link at the bottom of the post or the "Reply"
link under "show options" at the top of the post. The full text of the
angle brackets () at the start of each line. You can place your
comments between lines of the quote or simply add your thoughts at the
bottom."

Clear as mud (not Aussie Gold") right. I come here through a GOOGLE
group, do not all of you? Maybe not. I don't know what you are seeing
when I post but I see my comment plus "-see quoted text-". Seldom do I
post the text I am replying to unless it seems needed. At least I think
I do that ;-)). I am not a great reader of instructions.For instance, I
seldom Preview my posts, hell I just wrote it! So it goes.

Ray thanks for bringing up this topic, many may be hacked about it and
reluctant to speak.

Joe T

Old 21-07-2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Duncan V

Even better don't quote at all. Or at least edit the quote to the relevent
parts. Dont need to reread the same post 20 times in a thread.

Old 21-07-2006, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

I'm with Ray. If you are looking at a long post with several facets and it
contains one thing to which you wish to reply, then fine, reference just
that section of the post and delete the rest. Lately it has become very
unwieldy around here.

So:

"Where do I cut the spike on my Phal?

Cut it at the third node from the bottom and pray."

That should be okay, but sometimes I, like some other responders in this
thread, can't find (or just give up trying) the latest response.

For personal emails, where I can change fonts to make things clearer, I will
sometimes respond in pieces to several items in the original. For example, a
couple of years ago I was doing some long distance counseling a
complicated relationship. There were multiple subjects within each email,
and they were all important. In order not to blur the advice, I addressed
each point separately, referencing each one. But here, there's no reason to
keep all the "X wrote", "Y wrote", etc.

Joe, I don't know about Google groups, but in Outlook Express I can cut,
paste, delete and insert to my heart's content.

Diana

Old 21-07-2006, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

"To which you wish to reply"........What a mess that was!

Diana

Old 22-07-2006, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

There ya go. The mystery group I read reams me from one orifice to another
about top posting. They hate it. They endlessly quote "nettiquette" to me
ad nauseum. (Like I care.) Perhaps they have frontal lobes the size of
Rhode Island (speaking in terms of geography)

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
.. .
Kathy,

I have always top posted. I didn't know bottom posting was a problem
here. I don't read bottom posters so I wouldn't even know they were here
spreading their disgusting filthy drivel on RGO. So you see, I wouldn't
even be able to catch them to reprimand their errant misguided ancient
ways.

Mick

========================

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Yeah, I know its not nettiquette, and I've been reamed for top posting on
other newsgroups, but sheesh. I like top posting for the same reasons
why Ray does. I know what you've said and am looking for your response.
But then, I have no life and the newsgroup is my entire world, so I
remember what goes on here. If I had a life, with people and friends, I
may not remember what anyone said due to real life's interference. So I
could understand why some folks might like to be reminded of what other
people said by scrolling past previous comments and then post my comment
to the end.

Perhaps its more healthy to be a bottom poster. At the very least it
would indicate that you have a life, or can at least pretend you do, or
maybe that you can move away from the computer for enough connected hours
in a period of time to forget what goes on here.

Who the posting cop should be I have no idea. Just don't let it be
Mick.. He already is the picture police.

I think Wendy should be top post cop. Wendy would rule with a polite,
light hand.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

K Barrett

"wendy7" wrote in message
Ray, Would you mean we should "Top Post"??

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 22-07-2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

"Rob" wrote in message
[snip] I always (almost always) post after the quoted message. I don't
know
why, but I suspect I've been doing it for 15 years or so... [snip] Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

I always thought it was so your sig file would show, LOL!!

Old 22-07-2006, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
Top-posting is bad??? I've never heard that bit of "netiquette", but
then again, here and abpo are the only groups I frequent.
[snip]

Ah! You child! You should read rec.arts.marijuana and *really* meet some
paranoid types!!

K Barrett

Old 22-07-2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Kathy,

A Mozilla Firefox help-newsgroup really got on my case about top posting a
few months back. According to them I was the devil destroying their
newsgroup. Naively I thought everyone has top posted since 2002. It took
me a few letters to even figure out what they were bitching about. But once
I figured it out, I left the newsgroup immediately never to return like the
picture-posters should do on RGO.

I once had a girlfriend from Rhode Island. She had some real nice frontal
lobes... if you know what I mean.

Mick

========================

"K Barrett" wrote in message
There ya go. The mystery group I read reams me from one orifice to
another about top posting. They hate it. They endlessly quote
"nettiquette" to me ad nauseum. (Like I care.) Perhaps they have frontal
lobes the size of Rhode Island (speaking in terms of geography)

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
.. .
Kathy,

I have always top posted. I didn't know bottom posting was a problem
here. I don't read bottom posters so I wouldn't even know they were here
spreading their disgusting filthy drivel on RGO. So you see, I wouldn't
even be able to catch them to reprimand their errant misguided ancient
ways.

Mick

========================

. ..

Old 22-07-2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:05:11 -0400 in Mick Fournier wrote:
Kathy,

I have always top posted. I didn't know bottom posting was a problem here.
I don't read bottom posters so I wouldn't even know they were here spreading
their disgusting filthy drivel on RGO. So you see, I wouldn't even be able
to catch them to reprimand their errant misguided ancient ways.

You mean if we bottom post, you won't notice if we slip in
a picture?

--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."
Old 22-07-2006, 10:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

Like Pamela Anderson? ;-)

Old 22-07-2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Chris,

I never miss a picture. I am picture perfect.

Mick

rg...

Old 24-07-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Being a bit stressed lately, I have not been reading everything (and
posting nothing. When I saw this thread, I thought, "Oh f***, I'm not
going to read this." But I am glad I did. Thanks, Mick, for a much
needed laugh!

Reka

Mick Fournier wrote:

I once had a girlfriend from Rhode Island. She had some real nice frontal
lobes... if you know what I mean.

P.S. I have always bottom posted, and you always seem to read mine...
Old 25-07-2006, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Reka,

Boob jokes always get a good laugh on RGO. We're easily amused here.

Long ago I trained my news reader to put people's bottom post replies up top
as top posts... it is a lot easier that way than calling all those goofy
bottom posters anal retards. I don't want to get in a name calling war over
this minor issue. So as you can see my news reader straightens out all that
unreadable bottom posting and makes it right like God intended posts to be
read.

Mick

. ..