Old 20-09-2006, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Taxonomy rant!

Diana Kulaga wrote:
I'm glad you posted this, Wendy. For some reason I never saw JA's response
(wholeheartedly, indeed!).

Diana

hee! because i didn't make one--i knew i'd be out-punned by this
group. ;-)

--j_a

Old 20-09-2006, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

hee! because i didn't make one--i knew i'd be out-punned by this
group. ;-)

Then who is the anon. poster who inserted "wholeheartedly"? Hmm!

Diana

Old 21-09-2006, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

That twas me?

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 24-09-2006, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Have you seen the current issue of Orchids? Have you? Did you know that
aurantiaca and skinneri are no longer Cattleyas? Huh? Huh? Ditto
bowringiana.

And on pg. 659 - top right photo and lower half of the page - what kind of
labeling is that?

"Guarianthe (syn. Cattleya) x guatemalensis 'Barbara Sullivan' CCM/AOS
(skinneri x aurantiaca)"

And on pg 661, they identify bowringiana in one picture as "C." and in the
one below as Guarianthe (syn. Cattleya).

This is getting stupid.

Diana

Oh gosh. I've been putting off reading this thread because of it's size.
(my post will take it to 50 posts) By complete coincidence I finally
started reading the current Orchids and last night I was noticing
exactly what you are talking about including the contradiction on page 661.
Well, I'm going to bed now. Maybe tomorrow I get on into this and see
what everyone has been talking about.

Steve

Old 24-09-2006, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Is "Orchids" mailed (or sent by bicycle maybe) from your town? I just got
mine on Friday. Georgia ain't that far from Florida.
-danny

news

Old 24-09-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Good grief! We should be getting the October issue in about a week!
Sometimes they are late, but usually they are timely. I have heard others
(right in this area, too) say that they rec'd issues late when I'd rec'd
mine on time.

Go figger.....

Diana

.. .

Old 25-09-2006, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

danny wrote:

Is "Orchids" mailed (or sent by bicycle maybe) from your town? I just got
mine on Friday. Georgia ain't that far from Florida.
-danny

When there is a reason to compare when the magazine arrives, I'm always
one of the first to get it. I live up north in the middle of nowhere.
Maybe they send to the ones who have been members the longest first.
That seems fair since I've been an AOS member since 1976.
Seriously though, I'm sure they would do some sort of pre-sorting (by
region) for a better postal rate, unless the volume is too low for that.
Maybe your mail man is a budding orchid grower.

Steve (in the Adirondacks of northern NY)

PS The plastic is still on when it comes to you, right? Any tape? ;-)
Old 25-09-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Steve wrote:
danny wrote:

Is "Orchids" mailed (or sent by bicycle maybe) from your town? I just
got mine on Friday. Georgia ain't that far from Florida.
-danny

When there is a reason to compare when the magazine arrives, I'm always
one of the first to get it. I live up north in the middle of nowhere.
Maybe they send to the ones who have been members the longest first.
That seems fair since I've been an AOS member since 1976.
Seriously though, I'm sure they would do some sort of pre-sorting (by
region) for a better postal rate, unless the volume is too low for that.
Maybe your mail man is a budding orchid grower.

Steve (in the Adirondacks of northern NY)

PS The plastic is still on when it comes to you, right? Any tape? ;-)

I just got mine Friday as well...

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com