Old 21-11-2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Ping: Al

Would you mind sharing who Millie is? *G*! I saw you registered 5 orchids
with Millie in the name. A friend of mine uses Tamara in his names. I
cracked up when I found out it was his cat. I suppose its a reward for not
chewing their leaves...

K Barrett

Old 21-11-2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Pong: K Barrett

There must be over a dozen at this point with Millie in the name. But I
can't say who (or what) she is. Nor would I want to see you crack up so
close to the holidays. I am using the pattern "Millie's adjective noun" for
grexes I have made, although there are exceptions.

There's a whole bunch of "Bette's" too; like Bette's Fay Wilson, Bette's
Alabama Brent, Bette's Dallas O'Mara, etc. These are movie roles Bette
Davis played when she was alive. Don't think she has done anything
recently. I have only seen about 3 movies with her in them that I can think
of, but she played 64 named characters in movies during her career. I am
using this group to name grexes I did not make but was given permission to
register for one reason or another. Although there are exceptions. I am
saving some of the real famous ones for Oscar winning plants....if
any....not that it is possible to actually reserve names, anyone can use
them...

I did a string of Rex Stout Characters; but I got tired of it. There is an
Inspector Cramer. A Purley Stebbins. An Archie Goodwin. A Theodore
Horstmann. A Fritz Brenner. A Sally Colt. And a Lily Rowan. There is a
Nero Wolfe too, but George Vasquez beat me too it. And he has never even
read a Rex Stout novel, or so he said when I asked at an IPA years ago. I
was toying with the idea of naming all the criminals Wolfe fingered, but
like I said, I got tired of it.

For what it's worth, there is a host of odd groups of orchid names hidden in
the database. Somebody is (or was) slowly naming orchids after character's
in "Lord of the Rings", it has been going on years. Mostly elves, IIRC.

. ..

Old 21-11-2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:15:38 GMT in enH8h.2946$yV.2409@trnddc07 al wrote:
There must be over a dozen at this point with Millie in the name. But I
can't say who (or what) she is. Nor would I want to see you crack up so
close to the holidays. I am using the pattern "Millie's adjective noun" for
grexes I have made, although there are exceptions.

So, will you send us rolling after the holidays?

For what it's worth, there is a host of odd groups of orchid names hidden in
the database. Somebody is (or was) slowly naming orchids after character's
in "Lord of the Rings", it has been going on years. Mostly elves, IIRC.

But are they primarily miniatures? or do they just have long ears?
--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 21-11-2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

al wrote:
There must be over a dozen at this point with Millie in the name. But I
can't say who (or what) she is. Nor would I want to see you crack up so
close to the holidays. I am using the pattern "Millie's adjective noun" for
grexes I have made, although there are exceptions.

Okay, Al...'fess up. I've only asked you about three times who the h*ll
Millie is. I have a couple of Bettes and a Purley Stebbins, but I don't
want to bite the grass without knowing who Millie is. I bet it's your
mom... :-)

Reka
Old 21-11-2006, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Actually my mom's name is Shirley, as in from the KJV of the bible,
"Shirley, goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life..."
....you can run but you can not hide...

Please don't bite any grass any time soon.

"Reka" wrote in message
. ..

Old 21-11-2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:56:23 GMT, al wrote:
Actually my mom's name is Shirley, as in from the KJV of the bible,

Queue the Shirley jokes.

Bob
Old 21-11-2006, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default K Barrett

Aha! I knew there was method to your madness. But is it 'can't' say, or
'won't' say?

That's OK, I'll bide my time. Eventually you'll talk. Every one talks in
the end.

K Barrett

Old 22-11-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Al

Come on everyone knows Millie is the name of the voice Al hears in his head
when he's alone.

(he's been sniffin too much of that bug killer)

Old 22-11-2006, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I think Millie is the name of his wench!

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 22-11-2006, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Now there's a TV series... On Showtime right after Dexter, just to take the
bad taste out of your mouth. A kindly space alien lands on earth to nurture
his friends, some orchids, but the 'voice in his head' ie the telepathic
space communicator, keeps trying to get him to return to the home planet,
where he's supposed to ascend the throne and stop the clone wars...

K Barrett
(or at best its a graphic novel.)

Old 22-11-2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Clues within clues!

I've been trying to recall what movie or book I got 'They all talk in the
end' from... I keep thinking its Dr Strangelove but upon reflection I think
that was 'I don't think they wanted me to talk, actually' (said by Mandrake)

But I digress, and its not orchid related anyway.
That said ever since my neighbor cut down a tree in his yard I've been
getting the most fantastic blooms! The tree had shaded the GH in summertime.
I had specifically sited the GH there so the tree would provide shade from
the high summer heat in the afternoon. Instead it kept stuff from blooming.
I've got catts I haven't seen bloom for 3-5 years in bloom right now.
Pretty cool. Just shows to go ya, the best laid plans oft gang agly.

K Barrett
I'll post a couple of pics at apbo.

Old 22-11-2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yecch, no. The blooms are fading or not as nice as Wendy's so I'll forgo
the photos. Nevertheless, its was a good season in my GH!

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

I'll post a couple of pics at apbo.

Old 22-11-2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:32:33 -0800, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

Yecch, no. The blooms are fading or not as nice as Wendy's so I'll forgo
the photos. Nevertheless, its was a good season in my GH!

It's been good for me, too, Kath. More blooms on more spikes.
Do you suppose Al only communes with Millie when he's wearing his antennae?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

Old 23-11-2006, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I think Millie can only get to Al when he's wearing his antennae. My next
door neighbor (89) does the same thing with his hearing aid in regards to
his wife (87).

K Barrett

"tbell" wrote in message
.com...
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:32:33 -0800, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

Yecch, no. The blooms are fading or not as nice as Wendy's so I'll forgo
the photos. Nevertheless, its was a good season in my GH!

It's been good for me, too, Kath. More blooms on more spikes.
Do you suppose Al only communes with Millie when he's wearing his
antennae?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
PING PING Jan -ED Ponds 0 30-06-2006 04:46 PM
Ping Ingrid, RichToyBox and others Frys Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 8 01-04-2003 04:20 PM
Ping-CassBlack area on my new bare roots, should I be worried? A guy named Emil Roses 3 06-02-2003 05:39 AM
Ping: Pam Garden Gal Mark or Travis Gardening 1 02-02-2003 02:02 PM