Old 16-04-2003, 11:08 PM
V_coerulea

Default David Hunt orchids

Awhile back, someone posted a question regarding an email received from
David Hunt in reference to importing orchids. I didn't respond at the time
since I had only just placed an order with him for the first time. Well, I
just received the orchids from the Thailand imports. I had ordered 15 plants
from Aerides to Dendrobium, to Phalaenopsis, Pholidota and Seidenfadennia.
Two items were not available. The whole box was shipped without my having
put down a dime.
I was very pleased with all but the phals. They were a bit smaller than I
was expecting. The rest all had new growth with at least 4-5 backbulbs and
monopodials 6" or better with tremendous roots. If you got the email, you
know the prices. For what I received, I got more than my moneys worth. And
S&H was only $10 total.
I'm not trying to drum up business for David, only to let you know my
experience with his imports, if you're still interested.

Old 17-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Gene Schurg

V,

Did you have to do any paperwork to get them into the US? (assuming you are
in the US)

I always imagine that importing plants was a hassle and complicated. Sounds
like your order was as easy as from within the US.

Gene

Old 17-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Eric Muehlbauer

I also got an order...overall, I was happy. The Dend unicum was decent
sized, but the new growth was pale and etiolated from shipping. The
Cymbidium sinense had 3 bulbs and new growth, but no live roots. The
paph godfroyae was decent sized ...but best of all was a huge Paph
concolor, with lots of roots, in spike with a new growth...shipping
included, it came to to $50.50...Take care, Eric Muehlbauer in Queens NY
where emersonii is opening a little more each day...

Old 18-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Michael Gerzog

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message arthlink.net...

Did you have to do any paperwork to get them into the US? (assuming you are
in the US)

I always imagine that importing plants was a hassle and complicated. Sounds
like your order was as easy as from within the US.

It isn't always but can often/usually be at least a hassle, though not
particularly complicated. But in this case, David Hunt is doing the
importing, so for the end customer it's not just "as easy as", but is
in fact, an order from within the US.

Michael
Old 18-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I have purchased from David and from George and have, overall, been pleased
with the results.

I suppose the CITES docs can be a concern for someone in my shoes, as there
have been reports of needing to have them for the authorities when you
resell. Not that the domestic sale is the issue, just verification of legal
importation, although at this point, I think that's only applied to Chinese-
and especially Vietnamese paphs.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

m...

Old 18-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Aaron Hicks

Rob Halgren spaketh thusly:

Evidently somebody (20 somebodies so far today) thinks I need to
refinance my mortgage in order to afford internet prescriptions, web
hosting services, or to enhance my masculinity (or femininity, depending
on my mood, I guess). I particularly like the spam offering spam
reduction software. The best spam is in Cyrillic fonts (dozens of
those a day, for no apparent reason). It is so pure I can't even tell
what they are selling - distilled essence of spam. Yumm!

Amazing, isn't it?

Try MailWasher. The demo version (which is perfectly functional
for one POP account) is free.

www.mailwasher.net

Increased functionality (multiple POP accounts, Hotmail accounts)
costs you a few bucks.

Here's what it does: it polls your POP account, and lets you know
the subject and other information on your mail before you download it from
the POP account. You can delete/blacklist/bounce (yes, bounce the mail
back to its source- not that they read it anyway, but what the heck) with
a single click. Works great.

The problem with when you get it from your POP account is that it
sends a signal back to momma that the e-mail address is "live," which is
just an invite for more spam, 419 scams, and so forth.

Hit 'em where it hurts- don't even download it. Spammers are
starting to feel the heat- they're making a tiny fraction of what they
used to. When it finally becomes fiscally useless, only people with too
much time on their hands will send spam- unfortunately, that's still a
substantial portion of spammers.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

And, as always, the e-mail address in the header doesn't work.
Guess why? :-P

Old 18-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Gene Schurg

Rob,

It just occured to me that the Mortgage spams have a purpose. They know
what an orchid addict you've become and they want you to have every possible
opportunity to borrow large sums of cash to supply your habit. Of course
you may reach a point where you can no longer pay all those mortgages and
may need some perscription drugs to keep you from doing something drastic.

The other "enhancements" I won't comment upon there might be children
reading

Gene

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
V_coerulea wrote:

I don't believe he has a site set up for business. I think it's all by
email. Try to get on his next list. I have a phone at
713 464 7721 and Fax at 713 461 3809 (near Houston TX). Some lists are
better than others in price (I think the S Amer list was high - my

opinion).

Or if you hang around here long enough you will get on his list... I
think that is technically spam. I never asked for a list, but I get one
every time. At least it is orchids, and I don't mind that much.
Evidently somebody (20 somebodies so far today) thinks I need to
refinance my mortgage in order to afford internet prescriptions, web
hosting services, or to enhance my masculinity (or femininity, depending
on my mood, I guess). I particularly like the spam offering spam
reduction software. The best spam is in Cyrillic fonts (dozens of
those a day, for no apparent reason). It is so pure I can't even tell
what they are selling - distilled essence of spam. Yumm!

Rob

--
Rob's Rules:
http://www.msu.edu/~halgren

Old 18-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Rob Halgren

Gene Schurg wrote:

Rob,

It just occured to me that the Mortgage spams have a purpose. They know
what an orchid addict you've become and they want you to have every possible
opportunity to borrow large sums of cash to supply your habit. Of course
you may reach a point where you can no longer pay all those mortgages and
may need some perscription drugs to keep you from doing something drastic.

Maybe I'm asking for it with my .sig. Although I haven't needed
more credit for a while.

The other "enhancements" I won't comment upon there might be children
reading

Haven't had any complaints so far, but maybe that is just midwestern
politeness... *grin*

Old 18-04-2003, 11:32 PM
profpam

Hi,
I ordered the following from David Hunt:

Arachnis flos-aeris 6.00
Seidenfadennia mitrata 9.50
Vanda brunea 11.50
Vandadopsis gigantea 11.50
Vandaopsis parishii 11.50
Vanilla aphylla 9.50

I received all except the Vanda brunea for a total of $56.50. After
soaking all of them for about an hour in water, a little sugar, a couple
of sprays of Physan into the solution, and superthrive, I potted them
all and they look pretty good. This is my first order from David, and
I am also pleased.

(An aside to Rob: I don't know where David Hunt obtained my email
address for sure; however, he was once a partner of George Norris; so,
he may have gotten it from George or this forum. Yes, I receive almost
200 spams a day now from Mortgage companies to places to whatever, and
the ones that I think are the funniest are the Spam Emails that supposed
Stop Spam -- a little ironic).

In as far as CITES go, Ray, I think you still have to be concerned if
you are reselling Paphs or anything in Appendix 1. Just attended Harold
Koopowitz's lecture of Imports, etc., and he insists that one take
special care to not import any that are listed in there as fines run
$25,000. Since David is the importer in this case, it seems to take
months as he does go for all the paperwork in which case if you buy
anything that you even think might be in Appendix 1 then be sure to ask
him for a copy of the permits.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 19-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Gene Schurg

Pam

You could be getting all that spam because address harvesting adbots are
scanning the newgroup for valid email addresses.

Your newsgroup program should have something that would permit you to put
the reply to address in the blank. Add "NOSPAM" to your address and the
harvester gets .

If I were responding I would see that is not a valid address and would edit
it to the correct address. I did this several months ago and greatly
reduced the junk email. Now I have more time for orchids!

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 19-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Fran Kirby