Old 21-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Reka

Default David Hunt Orchids?

Check the Orchid Growers' Rating/Evaluation System at
http://www.proinnovation.com/ogres/. He only has one rating as of yet.
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
"Bill Landers" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi Group-
I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with David Hunt? I have
been receiving periodic e-mails from him offering mostly species orchids
imported from various countries (the latest e-mail is offering species

from
Thailand and Southeast Asia). The prices seem reasonable, as well as the
terms- no payment until orchids have been received. Can anyone tell of
their experiences with him? Thanks.
Bill Landers

Old 22-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Reka

Bit garbled, I would say. Was that one of you two, Al? ;-)
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
--Winston Churchill
"Al" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
And it is a weird rating/response too. Should be fun to see what shows

up.

Old 22-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Al

No, I did not write that rating on OGRES, if that is what you mean. I did
just place an order from his list which I received by email prior to seeing
this article on rgo and the OGRES rating. If the plants are sent on
inspection to be paid by invoice or returned than it seems that there was
nothing to loose. I did request that he send them with some form of
delivery confirmation, (since he mails by Priority). This way both parties
have proof that the box was mailed and the plants received and so any
problems with disappearing boxes and unpaid invoices can be avoided.

One notable thing I discovered as a result of his email list I learned while
I was trying to find out more about the company that sent it. I typed the
area code and phone number into the google search engine and it returned his
name and home mailing address. It also returned several years worth of
WebPages to the Huston area orchid society which include his name, his email
address and phone number as head of a committee. I tried this with my own
name and phone number and was kind of surprised at how many other people's
websites my name shows up

Anyway, my assumption here is that he is importing these plants in a large
group based on a collection of multiple smaller orders like mine. They are
coming from Thailand or there about. Now, I happen to know what recently
imported and then resold mail order orchids look like after they have been
bounced all the way around the world for a few weeks, so I am not likely to
be shocked by their condition upon opening the box. Most likely they will
not be in pots or look anything like they have just come out of a well
tended greenhouse. If they are recently imported plants, they will require
a period of intensive care to bring them back from the edge. I guess that
would be my only warning to whoever started this thread and was
contemplating an order for some of these plants. However, I have no
connection with David Hunt and have never ordered plants from him before.

Old 22-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Bob Walsh

My guess regarding the "rating" in question is that it is a reply to a
posting by a "buyer" who didn't pay for or return the plants. For some
reason the buyer posting does not appear. If you look at the posting it is
in bright blue. Compare it to Al's site where the only bright blue is also
only where it is a posting (informational) by Al.

I did not look at all sites so I maybe way off, but maybe not.

Bob

Old 22-02-2003, 09:39 PM
Michael Gerzog

"Al" wrote in message ...

If they are recently imported plants, they will require
a period of intensive care to bring them back from the edge. I guess that
would be my only warning to whoever started this thread and was
contemplating an order for some of these plants. However, I have no
connection with David Hunt and have never ordered plants from him before.

I haven't ordered from him before (but may this time, there are things
I want that aren't easy to find here), but I know people who have and
were happy with the plants. He also supplies a number of smaller
nurseries, so you may well have bought plants that he imported without
knowing it. Newly imported bare root plants pretty much always look
like hell if you're used to established, greenhouse grown plants, but
that's just the nature of the beast.

MG

Old 23-02-2003, 12:51 AM
femalestrom

I placed an order with him in early January, but obviously there
hasn't been a good time to ship because of weather. Most
likely as Al said, the plants will be bare root, and right out of
customs. If you are not used to this, a person might be put off.
Things come with dark spots, and look somewhat needy. But
I have really lost very few plants that I've gotten this way.
Despite my less than optimum conditions. At any rate.. even
though the plants will likely be small... you will be hard pressed
to find much of this stuff through your average vendor if at all,
and if you did it would be greatly marked up due to the vendors
pampering. You need to figure out if you are willing to put up
with the above.

Crystal

--
Nostradamus was just a bad poet with a paranoid streak.

- Penn Gillette

Old 26-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Elpaninaro

I know Dave Hunt and he is a good guy.

The plants are largely imported and some of them are collected plants to the
extent that is still allowed (he follows the law), and so you are getting
diamonds in the rough a lot of the time- but he does take care to ensure good
root systems etc.

I would say he is reliable with the caveat that collected plants take some
extra time and expertise to acclimatize. A mature collected plant can take 2-3
years to bloom for the first time in captivity.

Tom.