Old 14-04-2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Re-potting question about Hortag

I have a cymbidium that needs the compost changing. I have only been able to
get a rather small grade of orchid compost locally and wondered if it would be
OK to open up the compost and improve drainage with Hortag or similar expanded
clay pellets?

Many thanks
Kate

Old 14-04-2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Sure.

Not only that, cymbidiums grow wonderfully in 100% clay under the
semi-hydroponic culture technique (link at the URL below).

Old 15-04-2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Kate" wrote in message
I have a cymbidium that needs the compost changing. I have only been able to
get a rather small grade of orchid compost locally and wondered if it would
be
OK to open up the compost and improve drainage with Hortag or similar
expanded
clay pellets?

Many thanks
Kate

Thanks for the reassurance, Ray. I don`t think I shall risk trying the
semi-hydroponic method just yet, though, as I am still an orchid tyro!

Kate

Old 15-04-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 00:08:45 +0100, "Kate"
wrote:

"Kate" wrote in message

Thanks for the reassurance, Ray. I don`t think I shall risk trying the
semi-hydroponic method just yet, though, as I am still an orchid tyro!

Kate

If this is a small Cym or a warm blooming cym such as Cym Golden Elf I
would second Ray's recommendation. My Golden Elf has liked it so well
in S/H it broke too plastic pots by growing great roots. They love
S/H. I have never tried a traditional big Cym. in S/H.
SuE

Potting soil vs Potting mix [email protected] Texas 0 27-08-2008 08:14 PM
Potting Soil vs. Potting Mix ewl Gardening 7 12-04-2008 05:09 AM
Another Potting Question Shell Orchids 4 02-12-2003 04:22 PM
Lotus potting question Don Ponds 0 20-05-2003 03:32 PM
Question about all kinds of rocks using for potting orchids Tonette Orchids 6 09-04-2003 03:56 AM