Old 23-07-2003, 05:12 PM
LYNN32141

Default Upset in florida

Oh gosh, I'm so upset.... This morning I went out to check on my babies and
found that my huge denbrodium was knocked off it's perch in my Orchid tree, and
was laying on the ground with all it's planting medium/cedar chips strewn about
the yard. Poor thing, and it has a baby flower spike just beginning to come up
too.

I'm on my way to the store to buy it some new orchid bark and repot it, and see
if I can unshock the dear.

Then my other dendrobium which is sending up a double flower spike was laying
over on it's side too.

The only one still hanging litteraly from the trees is my other dendrobium,
and it too is sending up a flower spike.. Cannot wait to see what they look
like.

anyway, I was quite upset to see my little pretties all a mess this morning..
Guess that storm that blew in yesterday afternoon was stronger than it
appeared. I've never had them get blown from my trees before even in stormy
weather.

Lynn

Old 23-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

Lynn,

Take a deep breath and be glad it was the Dends - they're usually pretty
tough, unless a cane breaks during one of those falls. Don't know where in
FL you are - I'm in Port St. Lucie - but that was some storm! Our cat likes
to hang out by the pool (it's screened so he can't go outside), and he took
a tentative step outside just as a huge clap of thunder and burst of
lightning lit everything up like it was noon. He's mostly white, and it
looked like a detergent commercial for scrubbing bubbles, the way he raced
into the house. G

Hope the babies are okay.

Diana

Old 23-07-2003, 10:43 PM
LYNN32141

Dear Diana,

Oh that description of your kitty was too funny.. I'm an avid cat lover, being
owned at one time by 6 felines, but now only 4. My eldest who was 19 years old
crossed over the Rainbow Bridge last year.

It was comforting to know that with the dendrobiums they are quite hardy. I
was able to repot my baby and move then and secure them better to my Orchid
Tree.. I think they shall survive.

I was quite thankful the stalk didn't snap which was a huge worry of mine. So
far from the looks of them today, they are a healthy dark green and flower
stalk still intact.

BTW I'm just a bit north of Titusville.

Lynn
Old 24-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Diana Kulaga

Dear Lynn,

Oh, the Rainbow Bridge.......we lost our dear kitty (Mousebait) to diabetes
a couple of years ago, and at the same time rec'd a letter asking us to
register him with the city, thanks to the lousy Vet who didn't help him or
us. When my husband wrote back saying we'd lost him, some caring soul at
City Hall sent a copy of the Rainbow Bridge. My husband cried even more
than he had before.

It took a long time for us to go to the Humane Society to adopt Casper, the
Friendly Ghost, but when we walked in, he meowed and when taken from his
cage proceeded to kiss my husband's ears. We were smitten, and he owns us
completely!

Love orchids, love Casper.
Diana

Old 24-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Dave

I use Hot Pepper Wax to spray the foliage of my orchids that are outside,
one taste of that and most animals are discouraged. I live in a semi rural
area with some citrus trees in the area so there are little fruit rats in
the area who love to get into my orchids, the hot pepper wax stopped that.

I live on the gulf coast in Spring Hill.

Dave D.

Old 24-07-2003, 04:12 AM
LYNN32141

Dear Dave,

Wow, Spring Hill huh?? Been there... It is a nice rural area.

Where did you get the pepper wax??

Do the Orchids mind it??

Lynn
Old 24-07-2003, 04:12 AM
LYNN32141

Diana,

Yes that Rainbow Bridge will definitely bring tears to your eyes for sure.

Love your story about Casper.. what a wonderful thing for you to do, and save
one life and soul from sure destruction.

I love cats, and orchids, too.

Lynn

Old 25-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Dave

Lynn

I purchased it from Charlie's Greenhouse in Washington State. You can find
it on the net, use Google.

The orchids have not seemed to object, just the animals object.

Spring Hill is rapidly loosing its rural area, since the toll road opened to
Tampa they are building every where and cutting down all the beautiful
trees.

Dave

Old 25-07-2003, 09:43 PM
LYNN32141

Dave,

Thanks for information on the spray, I'll try to research it from here.

Yeah, we used to live in a quiet area also, but they are 4 laning our
subdivision to make it easier access to I-95. We already had trouble with
speeders, now forget about it.. Makes driving in Daytona look easy..

Toll roads are wonderful, but boy they sure do make easy access for developers
huh?? Pretty soon, all of our beatiful rural America will be gone.

Lynn

Old 25-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Shea

The area I'm in used to be very rural before the toll road. Now people are
moving in, cutting down the trees and installing wall to wall sod and
perfectly manicured lawns. It's been great for house values, but I miss the
wide open spaces and the big old oaks.

Old 26-07-2003, 06:32 PM
LYNN32141

In article , "Shea"
writes:

It's been great for house values, but I miss the
wide open spaces and the big old oaks.

and don't forget wait until tax time.. I'm sure property values will hit the
all time high as well.

lynn

Injuns upset benj Edible Gardening 0 03-05-2013 10:41 PM
Injuns upset benj Edible Gardening 0 03-05-2013 04:16 AM
Puzzled and Upset. ~ jan[_3_] Ponds 0 23-07-2011 02:50 AM
hibiscus suddenly upset JWBH United Kingdom 4 14-02-2007 03:54 PM
South Florida Cold D. Wain Garrison Orchids 2 24-01-2003 04:00 PM