Old 04-08-2003, 12:43 AM
GrlIntrpted

Default Orchid Greenhouse

Okay, my husband finally had enough of the orchids taking over our living
space and he threatned me with bodily harm g if I don't quit buying them.
We've come to a compromise. A greenhouse. We agreed on no more than $2,000
which should cover the (minimum) heating system for winters, and possibly a
misting system, and fans to circulate the air. I want the greenhouse to be
large enough to accomidate anywhere from 200-500 orchids.
I would love to hear recommendations, pluses and minuses of growing in
greenhouses vs. a house and any other information that you think will be
usefull.

I reside in New York City and have about 400-500sq feet for this plan.

You can respond here or drop me an email in private at grdengrl at optonline
dot net.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

Old 04-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Gene Schurg

Mariana,

I think you may be in for some sticker shock.

$2,000 is not going to build a quality greenhouse with heating, cooling,
misting equipment durable enough to withstand the winters in New York.

There are bargain kits out there but be careful what you invest in. If you
put 500 orchids in the greenhouse at @ $20 per orchid you have a $10,000
investment in the plants. If a mid January noreaster blows through New York
you could lose everything.

You may want to adjust your budget.

Good Growing,
Gene

. net...

Old 04-08-2003, 02:43 AM
Dave Lockwood

Mariana,
That's a pretty tall order! With the snow loads you will need to
contend with (don't want two feet of snow dumped on your Catts!) and the
temperature you will want to maintain it will be a challenge. I suggest
you take a look at the technical info at http://www.sundancesupply.com .
They have a great deal of information about materials and load bearing
capabilities of various material. They also have a calculator to figure
what size heater you will need. http://greenhouseconstruction.com/ also has
a wealth of information. For a prepackaged kit the Rion line of greenhouses
gets alot of "bang for the buck." One last bit of advice...get the absolute
biggest you can fit into your space and afford. I will only be a couple of
months and it will be too small! It is well worth the investment. The
plants really do seem to grow better (for me at least).
Dave

Old 04-08-2003, 03:10 AM
Wendy

You gotta love it! *g* Wow 400sq ft. will get you a 20 x 20 or 12 x 30 if my
math is working?
They are super expensive Mariana.
Get the biggest size you can afford.
You could try looking for a used one a lot of people upgrade to a bigger
size.
They usually start off with a 8x10.
Try putting an ad in the Unclassifieds
http://www.orchidmall.com/general/unclasfd.htm
Also at your local Ochid Society & favorite Nursery
See Charlies magazine or web site, he has some good tips on location etc.
You want the sun to pass over it, especially in winter. (No big trees in the
way)
You need a good foundation with natural gas & electricity pipe in. Not sure
about NY?
My Southern Burner was $450
My Convair Cooler $900 (the best!) IMHO.
Fans & misters etc.
If I had to do it all over again I would have mine built up on a pony rail
so that
it is higher to hang more stuff! Also would have had it wider with a bench
down
the center.
Thats all I can think of right now.
Cheers Wendy

Old 04-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 19:00:14 -0700, "Wendy"
wrote:

[...]

For your climate I would suggest you dig a foundation pit about
8-9' deep. Fill about 4-5 feet with drainage/heat sink/moisture
balance rock. Then build a lean-to against a wall. Built as
tall as you can. But put the first bench at ground level and you
will find a 12 foot height is not hard to come by. Then use
twin-wall not single pane glass. It will not be a pretty, you can
not see in and out as clearly. But your heat bill with thank
you. We just changed out the end panels and insulated the door
and you could see the difference in the gas bill.
Join your local society - visit all the growers with a gh. Ask
what they would do differently on the next one. Most have a
laundry list.

You can not get one too big or too tall. Good Luck.

SuE

Old 04-08-2003, 01:32 PM
dusty

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in
. net:

Okay, my husband finally had enough of the orchids taking over our
living space and he threatned me with bodily harm g if I don't quit
buying them. We've come to a compromise. A greenhouse. We agreed on
no more than $2,000 which should cover the (minimum) heating system
for winters, and possibly a misting system, and fans to circulate the
air. I want the greenhouse to be large enough to accomidate anywhere
from 200-500 orchids. I would love to hear recommendations, pluses and
minuses of growing in greenhouses vs. a house and any other
information that you think will be usefull.

I reside in New York City and have about 400-500sq feet for this plan.

You can respond here or drop me an email in private at grdengrl at
optonline dot net.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

I hate to disappoint you but $2000 won't buy a greenhouse large enough for
your collection without figuring in the heat and controls. Size wise I have
an 8 X 10 foot leanto that I can only get approximately 150 catt. vanda,
den. mix of plants into it and still keep them happy.
As for sticker shock here's some places you can look.
http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/
http://www.envirocept.com/
http://www.sundancesupply.com./
http://www.gardengreenhouses.com/showroom/index.htm
http://www.sunglogreenhouses.com/
http://www.currygreenhouses.com/
http://www.atlasgreenhouse.com/
http://www.classicstructures.com/
http://www.classicstructures.com/
later
dusty
Old 04-08-2003, 04:42 PM
K Barrett

I did a cursory glance through the Canadian Orchid Congress website
http://www.CanadianOrchidCongress.ca/ and looked at a few of their past
newsletters. There was a nice article in June 2001 on building a solarium
which might give you some other considerations, in addition to snow load.

K Barrett

"dusty" wrote in message
s.com...
"GrlIntrpted" wrote in
. net:

Old 05-08-2003, 04:18 AM
GrlIntrpted

Thanks for the response Gene. What would, in your estimation my investment
have to be to establish (as I described originally) the greenhouse as per
my original description?

Mariana

arthlink.net...

Old 05-08-2003, 04:18 AM
Gene Schurg

Mariana,

I can't say for sure what you should budget since I don't know the
excavation effort involved.

I built my Greenhouse last year (16x21). When I started the planning four
years earlier I set a limit of $30,000. Soon I found out what general
contractors cost. I had to excavate to build a 26 feet long retaining wall.
I had to have a hole cut into the house foundation to allow a door so I
would be able to enter from the basement. I put a sink, countertop and
cabinets inside the basement for the potting area (I didn't want to waste
valuable growing area with a bench). I had to have plumbing and gas lines
added.

I over did it with power outlets all around the perimeter since I don't use
them. I wish I had put stereo speakers out there so I could pipe in music
when I'm in the Greenhouse working.

The Greenhouse is a Janco with double pane glass. I had to keep the outside
looking acceptible for the homeowners association and went upscale.

Every turn of the plans the price went up.....In the end I have $85,000
invested in my Greenhouse. The good news is that if the next owner isn't as
crazy as I am then the room could be used for a hot tub or some other use.
I was careful not to make it look "institutional" so it would not affect the
resale of the property.

Everyone I work with really think I'm crazy but dangnabbit....I got what I
wanted.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:19 AM
Dave Lockwood

Gene,
That's $250 a foot!!! It better have marble floors and an attendant
with a Phd to maintain it! I think I stick with my little polycarbonate
models. I hope you're enjoying yours.
Dave

Old 05-08-2003, 04:19 AM
Eric Muehlbauer

Marianna- How are you? Years ago, I considered putting a greenhouse on
my top deck...the estimate I got (and you know these are always minimum
estimates) was $16,000...and that's before heating, wiring, etc....then
you have to get permits etc....needless to say, I still don't have a
greenhouse.....Take care, Eric

Old 05-08-2003, 05:02 AM
K Barrett

Marianna, where there's a will there's a way. I designed and built my own GH
8.5' wide, 29' long and 11' tall, polycarbonate twinwall, electrical,
plumbing, gas heat, swamp cooler, benches the whole enchilada, for about
$4500. Never say die.

K Barrett

Old 05-08-2003, 07:32 AM
Bolero

I just bought a glass house for $950 and sat it in the back yard.

Seems like a better solution to me.

You could probably get a decent one in the USA for $3000 to $4000 with all
the extra's. Mine was 8 x 12 second hand and it was a bargain.

Then again I don't need to heat it.

Good Luck shopping.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Ray

Another possibility is a Turner Greenhouse kit. They are quite reasonable
in price, and easy to assemble on a minimal foundation.

They don't sell a polycarbonate cover, but you can order the frame with no
cover and put it on yourself.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 05-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Wendy

Kathy, where did you get the polycarb from? It is quite pricey? Cheers Wendy
"K Barrett" wrote in message
Marianna, where there's a will there's a way. I designed and built my own

GH
8.5' wide, 29' long and 11' tall, polycarbonate twinwall, electrical,
plumbing, gas heat, swamp cooler, benches the whole enchilada, for about
$4500. Never say die.

K Barrett

"Eric Muehlbauer" wrote in message
Marianna- How are you? Years ago, I considered putting a greenhouse on
my top deck...the estimate I got (and you know these are always minimum
estimates) was $16,000...and that's before heating, wiring, etc....then
you have to get permits etc....needless to say, I still don't have a
greenhouse.....Take care, Eric

Blatant adv for my greenhouse, a mystery and lots of orchid pictures. Al Orchids 8 12-06-2006 11:20 PM
Orchid greenhouse visits Larry Orchids 8 19-01-2005 04:10 AM
orchid greenhouse visit in Milwaukee, WI area J Fortuna Orchids 1 31-12-2004 05:54 PM
orchid greenhouse kenty ;-\) Orchids 7 18-01-2004 04:02 PM