Old 20-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Shell91

Default Cypripedium Question

I know cypripedium need to be refridgerated over the winter. Everything I
have read though just says refridgerate. So, is this bare root or in the
pot, or maybe in a paper bag?

Shell

Old 20-09-2003, 06:32 PM
House of Paisley

Hi Shell! I am the last to discourage you from diving in
head first, but are you sure you want to get so complicated
so soon? Maybe you could start out with something
deciduous first, you can get he hang of these special
needs plants. Only because I think the cypripediums are
in general pretty pricey. I hope you don't take offense..
because I sort of started out the way you are.. some
simple stuff... then bam go straight for complicated. But
the complicated stuff I at least chose was inexpensive
enough that I didn't feel so bummed if I lost them.

Best of luck!
Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
y.com...

Old 20-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Shell91

Well, it was only $4 so I thought I would give it a shot So if it
shrivels up and turns brown on me no big deal I wouldn't have gotten it
if it had been expensive.

Shell

"House of Paisley" wrote in message
Hi Shell! I am the last to discourage you from diving in
head first, but are you sure you want to get so complicated
so soon? Maybe you could start out with something
deciduous first, you can get he hang of these special
needs plants. Only because I think the cypripediums are
in general pretty pricey. I hope you don't take offense..
because I sort of started out the way you are.. some
simple stuff... then bam go straight for complicated. But
the complicated stuff I at least chose was inexpensive
enough that I didn't feel so bummed if I lost them.

Best of luck!
Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
y.com...

Old 20-09-2003, 08:12 PM
House of Paisley

Fair enough... good for you! Someone else will probably
answer you, but I would get one of those thermometers
and get the real temperature of your fridge. I have done
bulb forcing before and the fridge seemed fine for that.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
"Shell91" wrote in message
y.com...
[...]

y.com...

Old 20-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Shell91

Depending on what temp they need and if we have a nice cold winter here for
longer than 3 days at a time the garage is also a possibility. I'll have to
put a large sign on it in the fridge to keep anyone from either trying to
eat it or throwing it out. At my house if it doesn't run fast enough it
gets eaten

Fair enough... good for you! Someone else will probably
answer you, but I would get one of those thermometers
and get the real temperature of your fridge. I have done
bulb forcing before and the fridge seemed fine for that.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
"Shell91" wrote in message
y.com...
[...]

y.com...

Old 21-09-2003, 03:32 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:25:35 GMT, "Shell91"
wrote:

Depending on what temp they need and if we have a nice cold winter here for
longer than 3 days at a time the garage is also a possibility. I'll have to
put a large sign on it in the fridge to keep anyone from either trying to
eat it or throwing it out. At my house if it doesn't run fast enough it
gets eaten
Shell

Shell -
You are basically bulb forcing. So I believe that like bulb
forcing you need to pot it firs. I would for your hungry hoards
protection, put the pot in a bag - staple the bag and label it.

http://home.netcom.com/~vchilder/bob/orchidlist.html
Bob Childer used to grow them in New Orleans, with the help of a
dedicated refrigerator. They moved to Texas recently and I have
not seen him here. He has quite a bit of information on his web
site.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

SuE
Old 21-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Shell91

That was my thought too. The one time I tried tulips i did that and still
had people checking it out to see if it was edible

Shell

Old 21-09-2003, 04:42 AM
tennis maynard

I was told last year by an experienced grower to put in in the fridge in
a sealed plastic bag in the crisper drawer for its winter rest(if the
bag isn't opaque, put then cover it or put the whole thing, bag and all,
in a paper bag to keep the light out). It should have been recently
watered and should not have any foliage left. If it's an acaule or other
acid-lover, the pure (RO or rain) water you used to water it with should
have had 1TBS/GAL of white vinegar in it.

Good luck!

Old 21-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Myrmecodia

"Shell91" wrote in message gy.com...
Well, it was only $4 so I thought I would give it a shot So if it
shrivels up and turns brown on me no big deal I wouldn't have gotten it
if it had been expensive.

What Cypripedium species do you have, and where are you located? The
price suggests you got one of the collected C. acaule rhizomes that
sometimes show up in large home improvement stores. Or was it a small
seedling of another species?

If it's the C. acaule, it has undergone some abuse already , so I
would pot it up and then refrigerate it. C. acaule requires acidic
conditions. The easiest mix to make up is 1:1 mix of sphagnum peat
moss and coarse acidic sand. You can purchase the peat moss sand from
Lowes or Home Despot, but bewa sand consituents may vary in
different parts of the country. You want silica sand, not limestone.
Test by treating with hydrocholoric acid (watch for foaming) or by
soaking some sand in distilled water. Test the pH of the water after
several days. If it is above 7.0, do not use the sand. If the pH is
acidic, the sand should be safe to use.

Pot the rhizome with the top of the new bud above the surface of
moistened (not soaking) mix, and top dress the pot with about 3/4 inch
of chopped pine needles. Put the pot in a ziplock bag and refrigerate
for about four months.

In the spring, water the plant with rain water or distilled water
treated with a small amount of cider vinegar. Keep the pot moist but
well drained. Ideally, keep the plant outside during the growing
season.

If you have a different species, let us know because requirements
vary.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Old 21-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Shell91

Hi
Helps a lot. I got this on eBay supposedly from a farmer who had several
hundred for sale. I will have to go to Lowe's and get some peat sand to pot
it in and stick it in the fridge I think it's Cypripedium acaule going
by the picture in the auction add.

Shell

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
om...

gy.com...

Old 22-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Myrmecodia

I see I dropped a critical "and" from my previous message. You can
buy peat moss AND sand at Lowes, but they will be separate. The peat
moss is compressed bales in the gardening section, and the sand will
be with the cement. In my area the general purpose sand is silica
sand that is suitable for use with terrestrial orchids and carnivorous
plants.

Nick

Cypripedium Reginae Lgge Garden Photos 1 01-01-2013 10:02 PM
Cypripedium calceolus var parviflorum - 2 photos John Varigos Orchid Photos 0 06-06-2007 12:45 PM
Cypripedium kentuckiense Ray B Orchid Photos 2 04-06-2007 10:30 AM
Availability of Cypripedium calceolus S.M. Wellinga Orchids 0 02-10-2003 10:22 PM
? re cypripedium and blettila Ted Byers Orchids 3 23-04-2003 06:44 PM