Old 02-12-2003, 12:02 AM
the moke monster

Default OK to repot?

I have several indoor phals that have finished blooming and are already
putting up new spikes. One has a keiki attached that has its own spike.
These things are growing like weeds ever since I raised the humidity
in the house (for my sinuses). It has been 3 years since they were
repotted. Is it OK to repot these without ruining the spikes?

thanks.

George

Old 02-12-2003, 03:04 AM
J Fortuna

George,

Thank you for posting about the effect on Phals of raising humidity at home.
I had been thinking about getting a humidifier, and your message gave me
that extra boost, so that I finally did get it. I also have sinus problems,
and I also have several Phals.

In answer to your question: [Disclaimer: I am not an expert yet, so if
anyone more experienced responds, listen to them.]

My understanding is that one should avoid repotting Phals when they are in
spike, but if yours is in spike constantly, and if your medium is already
very deteriorated, then I would think you might not have a choice but to
repot in spike. I wonder whether repotting when the spike is still small is
less risky than repotting once the spike is more developed -- I know that
that's the case with shipping Phals in spike, so I wonder whether the same
principle applies to repotting (?)

Joanna

Old 02-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Ray

Ordinarily I'd recommend waiting, but as Joanna stated, with a plant that's
doesn't ever seem to go out of bloom, watcha' gonna' do?

As it's been three years since the last repot, I'd guess that the bigger
threat is root rot from not doing it.

Yeah, it's a risk, but again, whatcha' gonna' do?

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 02-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 05:48:50 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

Ordinarily I'd recommend waiting, but as Joanna stated, with a plant that's
doesn't ever seem to go out of bloom, watcha' gonna' do?

As it's been three years since the last repot, I'd guess that the bigger
threat is root rot from not doing it.

Yeah, it's a risk, but again, whatcha' gonna' do?

At this point it sounds like the risk is necessary, EXCEPT you
need to be very careful of the developing spike. This is the
point you could easily snap it off. So try to find a way to work
while protecting it.
SuE
Old 03-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Kenni Judd

If the spikes are short, you should be fine. The real danger starts when
they start showing differentiated buds -- and yes [in answer to either your
query or one I saw elsewhere, sorry to be so scatter-brained], the smaller
the buds, the better in this situation.

But to second, or fourth, what's already been said, I think you need to bite
the bullet and do it even if you lose a spike or two -- otherwise, you're
likely to lose plants, if they haven't been repotted in 3 years.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
[IBC] *** [IBC] Hemlock repot ? Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-03-2003 06:44 PM
[IBC] Hemlock repot ? Robert O'Brien Bonsai 3 15-03-2003 04:08 PM
B. Nodosa: to repot or not? Orchids 8 27-02-2003 07:06 AM