Old 07-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Harold

Default Odontobrassia PLEASE HELP!!

i have an odontobrassia kenneth bivens and my girlfriend, the former owner
cut off the flower spike so that it would get bigger but its been quite a
while now and it wont start a new one so i was wondering if anyone could
help me to help it to do so. it is in a window that gets pretty good light
with a temp of about 68 degrees or so and i live in the detroit area, just
to let you know its winter for the sun cycle.
Thanks in advance!
Harold.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Kenni Judd

These generally bloom for us about 2x/year [most heavily in spring and fall,
although there are a couple in spike and bloom now], so unless "quite a
while" is going on or past 6 months, there may not be a problem at all
[other than "owner impatience" G].

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 07-01-2004, 09:38 PM
K Barrett

Harold, has it made any new bulbs? It will flower from a new bulb. (Real
term is pseudobulb, but let's not look too intellectual)

K Barrett

Old 08-01-2004, 02:08 AM
Harold

it hasnt even sent up a flower spike from the bottom yet and it has been AT
LEAST 9 months. so i want to try to make it send up a spike.
thanks for the help!
Harold

Old 08-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Harold

nope, nothing. no spike to even have a pseudobulb on!
any help you could give would be great.!
Thanks,
harold

Old 08-01-2004, 03:17 AM
K Barrett

Well, I'd think you'd be looking for a new bulb to start growing from the
side of the old bulb. That should show up any time now. depending on the
season.

Look at the base of the old bulb either side where the bract attaches (which
could be dried brown by now). Gently peer beneath the bract and you should
see a tuft of baby leaves starting. That's the new pseudobulb from which
the Kenneth Bivins will bloom. In a month or two.

I'd say give it some time, because we are in winter and you are much darker
than I am in California or Kenni is in Florida, so I'd expect yours to start
to grow late Feb or so.

All is not lost!

K Barrett

Old 08-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 03:15:41 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

[...]

I am afraid the CA and FL advise will lead you down the fast
track Harold. In a window in the midwest - even good light is
poor. Your probably not going to get two bloom cycles a year.
But do not give up hope. This plant needs to grow that pbulb and
leaves to the same size as your other pbulbs. Then you can
expect to get a new flower spike. Just keep it happy and (the
orchid grower's nightmare) wait. It takes time to develop the
energy to produce those lovely flowers.

ex-Chicago grower.
SuE
Old 08-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Harold

Thank you so much.
and one more thing ould you recomend a good fertilizer or should i just
stick with water? im afraid i dont know much about orchids at all.
Thanks again!

Old 08-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Ray

Most orchid media provide little if any nutrition to the plant, so
fertilizing is a must.

Choose a good one with a more-or-less even formula having a complete array
of minor- and trace elements., and use it regularly.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 08-01-2004, 10:02 PM
William Hill

wrote:

Well, I'd think you'd be looking for a new bulb to start growing from the
side of the old bulb. That should show up any time now. depending on the
season.

Look at the base of the old bulb either side where the bract attaches (which
could be dried brown by now). Gently peer beneath the bract and you should
see a tuft of baby leaves starting. That's the new pseudobulb from which
the Kenneth Bivins will bloom. In a month or two.

I'd say give it some time, because we are in winter and you are much darker
than I am in California or Kenni is in Florida, so I'd expect yours to start
to grow late Feb or so.

All is not lost!

What you need are 5-6 more plants then you won't worry over 1. One
orchid plant can make you crazy!!! You do need more light though---put
it near or under more light & plug the light (s) into a timer so you
get 12 hours on & 12 hours off. Hope this helps, Bill
K Barrett