Old 14-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Bob Walsh

Default Orchids Mag

Just in case some of you are wondering where your January issue of Orchids
is, they were all mailed on the 9th of Jan. Yours should arrive soon, mine
too I hope.

Bob

Old 15-01-2004, 03:43 AM
Ray

Yeah, someone at the SEPOS meeting got theirs today. I'm still waiting.....

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 15-01-2004, 01:03 PM
William Hill

"Ray" wrote in message ...
Yeah, someone at the SEPOS meeting got theirs today. I'm still waiting.....

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
Just in case some of you are wondering where your January issue of Orchids
is, they were all mailed on the 9th of Jan. Yours should arrive soon, mine
too I hope.

Bob

I quit paying AOS for no benefits but a magazine that is always late,
has a screwed up format and cannot compare to Orchid Digest (although
they tried) I am also not going to support a group that undercuts the
growers in their area around them buy buying in plants and selling
them at just above wholesale prices. They are constantly running
articles about old folks in orchids who contribute large sums to them.
Who cares about people that far back in time?? There are younger folks
making great strides in improving orchid growing for all of us. GET
USED TO LATE DELIVERIES !!! Good growing, Bill
Old 15-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Ray

As a pretty thoroughly soused orchidoholic, I try to get my hands on
anything related.

I have been an AOS member for over 20 years, have benefited little beyond
the magazine (which I still want to call the "Bulletin"), and simply don't
worry about whether it's late or not.

On those rare occasions when it never arrived or had a printing fold or
error, I made a phone call and was sent a replacement.

I also get the Orchid Digest, and recently joined the IPA as much to get
their mag as anything. It's an orchid publication...

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"William Hill" wrote in message
om...

Old 15-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:36:35 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

As a pretty thoroughly soused orchidoholic, I try to get my hands on
anything related.

I have been an AOS member for over 20 years, have benefited little beyond
the magazine (which I still want to call the "Bulletin"), and simply don't
worry about whether it's late or not.

On those rare occasions when it never arrived or had a printing fold or
error, I made a phone call and was sent a replacement.

I also get the Orchid Digest, and recently joined the IPA as much to get
their mag as anything. It's an orchid publication...

We have been close to 30 years. I remember when they were
soliciting funds to be able to publish the "Bulletin" in color.
This is such an improvement. Color and photography gets better
and better. Articles, as always, come and go with the 'climate'
in the hobby.

I would not give up Orchid Digest, once I saw the delightful
articles and marvelous photography. Not long ago, they forgot to
mail to the entire state of CO. It seemed that everyone else had
gotten their magazine, but ours were never shipped. When the
error was pointed out, it was reshipped. I often wondered if
some areas received two copies, or if they were able to find the
actual cause and isolate who was missed.

And lately I have wondered if the Aussie magazine might not be a
good idea. As Ray said, you can not have too much about orchids.

SuE

Old 15-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Wendy

Wow Ray! Where do you store all these books?
Just curious as I am a regular hamster but not organised.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 15-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Eric Hunt

All,

This is my last year of AOS membership. I renewed this past fall mostly so
that I could have a leg to stand on to complain. I've given up on even
that - there's a sense that no one will listen - they do too much navel
gazing down in Florida.

The magazine has consistently been on a level way below what I am interested
in, and I've had it arrive before the 5th of the month less than 5 times in
the 3 years I have been a member.

The magazine may look good, but they have no excuse for not getting it out
in a timely fashion, since the magazine staff is PAID, unlike Orchid Digest,
which is entirely volunteer run. I've said it before - any other magazine in
the USA with a paid professional staff would have fired the staff if the
magazine was as consistently late as Orchids is.

My $40 will go as a donation towards OrchidDigest's year-end issue for 2004
this year.

-Eric in SF

Old 15-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Ray

Personally, I think the obsessing over the prompt delivery is a waste of
effort.

Does anyone complain when the April issue of something is delivered in late
February? It's all BS, anyway. If the AOS said that the current issue was
for February, nobody would have said a word.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 15-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Ray

If you started in the attic, came down through the bedrooms, down again into
my office, and then down into the basement, you'd find a smattering at each
level!

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 15-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Reka

"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I also get the Orchid Digest, and recently joined the IPA as much to get
their mag as anything. It's an orchid publication...

Now the IPA publication interests me. What's it like, Ray? How much are
dues, how many issues a year, what's in it?
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 15-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Diana Kulaga

Personally, I think the obsessing over the prompt delivery is a waste of
effort.

Here, here! Now, if the delivery guy misses me on the NY Times route, THEN
we have conversations! G

Diana

Old 16-01-2004, 12:09 AM
Bolero

Can I ask a question? Where is it written that it has to arrive by a
certain date? I can't find that rule anywhere.

I really don't think it's a big problem but then again I only just
subscribed recently.

I know there are specials in the magazine but does it really matter as long
as you get it?

Old 16-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Ray

www.phal.org

The mag is quarterly, about the same size as "Orchids," but only about 35-40
pages with fewer ads.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Reka" wrote in message
"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I also get the Orchid Digest, and recently joined the IPA as much to get
their mag as anything. It's an orchid publication...

Now the IPA publication interests me. What's it like, Ray? How much are
dues, how many issues a year, what's in it?
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Orchids Mag - or Orchid Digest Wendy Orchids 2 16-01-2004 06:02 PM
How to visually distinguish Potassium and Mag deficiencies? David D. Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
How to visually distinguish Potassium and Mag deficiencies? David D. sci.agriculture 3 26-04-2003 12:26 PM
FS: Mag drive 18 pump Mike Ponds 0 21-03-2003 03:32 AM
BBC Gardeners world mag.Novemer issue Michael Berridge United Kingdom 1 27-10-2002 04:05 PM