Old 17-01-2004, 07:14 PM
JM

Default Is this orchid dead [picture enclosed] - Rotation of P1010014.JPG (0/2)

I am a newbie to orchids. I've attached a picture of my phalaenopsis
orchid, which I am not sure is alive or dead. As you can see from the
picture, the original stem has become like hardened wood. The broad
leaves at the bottom are still green and appear to be growing, and
there are as well at least 2 stems (towards the right of the picture)
that are small and green and growing. Will the 2 stems continue to
grow and eventually bloom? The plant hasn't bloomed for a long time
now. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 17-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Ray

First of all, no picture was attached.

Second, that's good, as this isn't a binaries newsgroup...

Try posting it to the alt.binaries.pictures.orchids group

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 17-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:57:20 -0500, JM
wrote:

I am a newbie to orchids. I've attached a picture of my phalaenopsis
orchid, which I am not sure is alive or dead. As you can see from the
picture, the original stem has become like hardened wood. The broad
leaves at the bottom are still green and appear to be growing, and
there are as well at least 2 stems (towards the right of the picture)
that are small and green and growing. Will the 2 stems continue to
grow and eventually bloom? The plant hasn't bloomed for a long time
now. Thanks for any help you can offer.

By "The plant hasn't bloomed for a long time now." do you mean
more than 12 months? Most orchids bloom once a year. Some have
bloom displays that will last 6 weeks or more, others are as
short as 4 hours. Phals usually bloom for 4-8 weeks. And may
have a second smaller bloom display about 3-4 months later.

Your description sounds like you have 2 flower spikes. GREAT!

Now, about the pix. You need to put it on a web site and give us
the address or you need to post the photo to ABPO. We will all
be glad to take a look and comment.

SuE
Old 17-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:57:20 -0500, JM wrote
in Message-Id: :

I am a newbie to orchids. I've attached a picture of my phalaenopsis
orchid,

For your future reference, binary photographic posts are not
appropriate in discussion newsgroups. Such photographs should be
posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids.

which I am not sure is alive or dead.

It looks very vigorous to me.

As you can see from the picture, the original stem has become like
hardened wood.

That to which you refer as a 'stem' is actually an inflorescence upon
which the flowers are produced. It is most generally an efimeral
structure, although some Phals will subsequently produce vegetative
growths of additional plants from the buds that did not produce
flowers.

The broad leaves at the bottom are still green and appear to be growing, and
there are as well at least 2 stems (towards the right of the picture)
that are small and green and growing. Will the 2 stems continue to
grow and eventually bloom? The plant hasn't bloomed for a long time
now. Thanks for any help you can offer.

If you are referring to the long, thin, green-tiped structures, they
appear to be roots. I am unable to discern any new inflorescences in
the photo.

Old 17-01-2004, 08:33 PM
J Fortuna

JM,

As Ray pointed out, we are not supposed to post pictures to this group -- I
think part of the reason is so that even users who still have slow modems
can get this group, also this group is archived through google and if there
were photos here they would need much more space, I am not sure about any
other reasons. If you do not have access to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
(some people do not have access to this group, since not all service
providers carry it), you could post the picture on a Web site, and then
include a link to the Web site in the rec.gardens.orchids post. Please do
this in the future.

However, since this time you did post the picture he No, I don't think
this orchid is dead.. The upper leaf is reddish, which could be just the way
this particular Phal grows its new leaves -- some Phals have a red hue to
leaves and that may be normal -- or it may be getting a bit too much sun
light, that will sometimes turn a leaf reddish as well. The green "stems"
toward the right of the picture that you refer to are actually aerial roots.
New orchid growers often mistake aerial roots for spikes, though after a
while one learns to tell them apart. Spikes tend to end on a rounded tip,
wheras root tips tend to be more pointy. Also spikes have nodes (sort of
like knuckles in a finger), whereas roots don't have those divisions. Also
roots are covered with this shiny stuff (I forget what it's called) but it
is a substance that makes it easier for them to absorb moisture from the
air. Roots will often be white or green. And no, a root will not turn into a
spike, it will not flower for you.

When you say that it has not bloomed "for a long time", how long is this?
Also can you discribe the conditions that this plant grows in -- amount of
light (which direction does the window face in? how close to the window is
it?), temperature (did you try providing a 10-15 degree Fahrenheit day/night
difference? Phals use this as a signal to start a new flower spike.).

Best,
Joanna

Old 17-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Ted Byers

"JM" wrote in message
I am a newbie to orchids. I've attached a picture of my phalaenopsis
orchid, which I am not sure is alive or dead. As you can see from the
picture, the original stem has become like hardened wood. The broad
leaves at the bottom are still green and appear to be growing, and
there are as well at least 2 stems (towards the right of the picture)
that are small and green and growing. Will the 2 stems continue to
grow and eventually bloom? The plant hasn't bloomed for a long time
now. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Well, I didn't see any picture attached to yur message, but judging from
your description, your plant is happy.

If you want us to see an image, you want to also subscribe to
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids (and if it isn't on your news server, harass
your ISP until they get it: ;-) ;-) -you will certainly enjoy the
images normally posted there) and post your picture there and then refer to
that post in any question you want to ask here.

What you're calling a stem is most likely the inflorescence (the organ to
which the flowers are attached), and if it is growing two new ones, it is
very happy (or, if you've had it a while, and it hasn't been repotted in a
couple years, it may be a last gasp attempt at reproducing before dying).
That the leaves at the bottom are green and growing is a good sign, though,
of reasonably good health. Can you see any of the roots? If so, are they
firm and either green or white? If so, that is another good sign. (you
might be able to take a look at the roots but gently shifting some of the
potting material to one side to uncover the uppermost roots if it doesn't
have any aerial roots). I would not repot it now, though, unless there are
significant signs of distress. Instead, wait until the coming flowers are
finished.

That said, if the original inflorescence is woody, and has no longer green,
the plant is telling you to cut it off. If there is any green left on it,
and there are several nodes, cut just above the uppermost green node.
Otherwise, cut it a centimetre or two from where it emerges from the base of
the plant.

If you've had the plant for more than two years, you probably should have
repotted by now, but it is hard to advise you on that without knowing how
long you've had it, when it was last repotted, what it is potted in, &c.
But I wouldn't worry just yet since it seems to be happy.

HTH

Ted

Old 17-01-2004, 09:02 PM
J Fortuna

Ted,
Don't scare JM talking about last gasps before dying! Having seen the
picture, I assure you, this Phal doesn't appear to be dying. But neither
does it seem to be growing new inflorescences at this time -- it is growing
aerial roots, though.
Joanna

.. .

Old 18-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Wendy

Hi JM, Glad you could join us here. RGO's sister group for images is :-
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Your plant looks ok to me & those are good roots with the green tips.
The corn coloured spike (inflorescence the proper word), is a perfect
example of when to cut it.
I will post your photo to abpo if you don't mind?
Do you grow your orchid plants indoors on a windowsill?
Have you repotted this plant?
What kind of mix did you use?
Some say phals are the easiest to grow, but they don't do well for me.
Anyway welcome & ask as many questions as you like.

--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"JM" wrote in message
: I am a newbie to orchids. I've attached a picture of my phalaenopsis
: orchid, which I am not sure is alive or dead. As you can see from the
: picture, the original stem has become like hardened wood. The broad
: leaves at the bottom are still green and appear to be growing, and
: there are as well at least 2 stems (towards the right of the picture)
: that are small and green and growing. Will the 2 stems continue to
: grow and eventually bloom? The plant hasn't bloomed for a long time
: now. Thanks for any help you can offer.
:
: