Old 25-01-2004, 11:42 PM
ARIET B

Default REGARDING ABPO-?

OK, so I finally couldn't stand it- and I signed up, through AOL. It worked
just fine. I am getting tons of messages - but NO PICTURES.
Does anyone have an idea of WHAT I HAVE DONE WRONG? I have checked my
setting...and see nothing that would apply to this issue.
Elinor
Old 26-01-2004, 01:05 AM
J Fortuna

Elinor,

I searched the newsgroup archives at groups.google.com for "abpo aol" and
found a posting by unity reporting that AOL finally started
carrying abpo in January 2003, but that they had a limit on picture size ...
plus he mentions something about needing to decode screen name file in
\organize to get pictures (???), anyway here is a link to the post
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...0mb-cl.aol.com
It all sounds rather complex -- I sure hope for you that AOL has in the
meantime changed this.
However, this January 2003 post is the very last post that David Guinty made
to rgo -- so I can only assume that AOL has restricted his posting rights or
something. :-)

I also looked for frequent posters in abpo for users with aol email
addresses
http://netscan.research.microsoft.co...11%2F30%2F2003
and found Steve but it turns out from looking at recent
messages that Steve uses Adelphia news server not AOL newsserver, you might
ask him why.

Isn't it interesting what kind of stuff one can find out looking at
newsgroup archives and statistics :-)

Joanna

Old 26-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:

...........I also looked for frequent posters in abpo for users with aol email addresses
http://netscan.research.microsoft.co...11%2F30%2F2003
and found Steve but it turns out from looking at recent
messages that Steve uses Adelphia news server not AOL newsserver, you might
ask him why.

Isn't it interesting what kind of stuff one can find out looking at
newsgroup archives and statistics :-)

Joanna

Well, I guess I had better get in here before Joanna posts my social
security number or something. ;-)

I use the Adelphia news server because Adelphia is my ISP. I do continue
to have a little 3 hour a month AOL account mainly so other family
members can keep their old e-mail addresses. I use the AOL address to
keep spam away from my Adelphia address. The AOL address does work but I
have it set to only receive mail from people on my list. That completely
stops spam there but also excludes people not on my list (yet).

To answer Elinor's question, I think you can get the pictures on ABPO
via AOL. I looked into it once because AOL started offering ABPO before
Adelphia did.
You can't get the pictures if you read the messages off line. I used to
read RGO by downloading the messages so I could read them later. If you
do that, and then read them from your "filing cabinet", you will not get
pictures.
Find the other way to read newsgroups, where you read them directly
online. (I didn't dare do that since I only pay for the 3 hours a
month.) If you don't figure it out after a short while, let me know and
I will go into AOL and figure it out. You need to hurry because I just
posted 5 pictures on ABPO tonight. ;-)

Steve

Old 26-01-2004, 11:15 PM
ARIET B

Thanks Joanna...I chatted with Steve last night, and we got a few things
cleared up. His memories of how AOL chooses to set up their program are
getting faint, he said. He did recall that he had to set it up as NOT being
"read offline", so I found 2 oplaces to change that setting. I fooled around
with some of the settings, all of which seemed to make things worse, last
night. And this morning I "signed off" before I remembered to check the
on-line newsgroup. I'll try to keep at it, and see what I can figure out.
When on-line last night I could read the messages that had pictures in them,
but the pix were all blanks.
Elinor
Old 27-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Steve

ARIET B wrote:
Thanks Joanna...I chatted with Steve last night, and we got a few things
cleared up. His memories of how AOL chooses to set up their program are
getting faint, he said. He did recall that he had to set it up as NOT being
"read offline", so I found 2 oplaces to change that setting. I fooled around
with some of the settings, all of which seemed to make things worse, last
night..........................................

Elinor,
I just went in on AOL and tried to view pictures on ABPO. I couldn't do
it. Checking help, I found this:

1. Sign on to AOL using your Master Screen Name.
2. On the AOL Services menu on the AOL toolbar, point to Internet and
then click Newsgroups.
3. Click Parental Controls.
4. Select the screen name for which you want to set controls.
5. Click Edit.
6. In the Custom Control Settings window, clear the Block newsgroup file
download check box.
7. Click Save.

I did that and still all the posts with pictures were missing. Maybe if
I went back on AOL now, they would be there or maybe future posts would
start showing up with pictures. If that fails, AOL is good with live
help. Either get to the live help section or send in your question and
wait for an answer. If AOL just isn't going to work, you could try the
Tera news that Keith was talking about. I used that for a while before
Adelphia started to offer ABPO. It worked pretty well but it started
missing every picture that Wendy posted, so I grew to hate it. You could
try it. You pay the $3.95 only once and they are not out to take your money.

Steve

Old 27-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Steve

ARIET B wrote:
[...]

Question on pictures on abpo... [email protected] Orchids 5 11-01-2007 12:27 PM
ABPO Issues Ray Orchids 0 18-01-2004 09:36 PM
Off Topic x posted to abpo Wendy Orchids 42 23-09-2003 10:02 PM
ABPO ??? Claude Orchids 1 15-08-2003 10:33 PM
Iwanagara Appleblossom- Pic on ABPO wylee Orchids 1 15-02-2003 08:15 PM