Old 18-02-2004, 02:58 AM
Steve

Default Phal Problems update

It was nearly 6 months ago that I started a thread about "Phal
Problems". I showed a web site with pictures. Several of you had
ideas. Probably the best answers were about a disease called simply
microfungus. I tried a few different fungicides but didn't get to
try every fungicide or fungicide combination that was suggested.
I tried the systemic fungicide often sold as Funginex. I really
thought maybe that was going to work. Things seemed to slow down and
I hoped the leaves that still dropped were just dropping because of
previous damage. It didn't take too long for it to be obvious that
new leaves were still going bad as they matured.

I have finally gotten around to taking more pictures and reorganized
the web site to better explain the problem. Here's the new improved
site:

http://www.geocities.com/tlswilso/Ph...s_2-15-04.html

Maybe someone has learned more about this disease since we last
discussed it. Maybe someone new is lurking here and knows something
about what really works and what really doesn't. I saved the
original discussion and there are more things there that I can try.

Thanks in advance for any new ideas.

Steve in the Adirondacks of northern NY

PS If you want to reply, but don't want to read the entire web
site, please at least read the part right after "treatments I have
tried".
If you want to reply to me without posting here, change my address
to @adelphiadotnet.

Old 18-02-2004, 03:42 AM
K Barrett

Try this:

Your state's Ag department.
http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/PI/PIHome.html

Send him your webpage and see what he says, or better yet, call him (518)
457-2087.

You got some great pics there and someone should understand what's happening
with them. You ever show them to Marilyn or Ed?

K Barrett

Old 18-02-2004, 04:39 AM
Steve

Ooops, so did I, just now. I guess you backing me up couldn't hurt!

Old 18-02-2004, 04:40 AM
Steve

K Barrett wrote:
...........You ever show them to Marilyn or Ed?.......................

Marilyn looked at that new web site today and has sent a reply.
She feels that she recognizes it as the disease people are calling
microfungus. I trust that she would not object to me copying a tiny
part of her reply he

"There are a range of fungicidal agents suggested for control of the
'microfungus' but"........................ "Given that no one has
identified the causative agent, it is difficult to know which
product, if any, will control the problem."

In my original e-mail to her, I said that I should probably pay the
rather large fee to Cornell to have a leaf tested. I expressed my
fear that they would not find the actual fungus (or what ever)
causing the problem but might find some secondary organism and blame
the disease on it. Judging from what she wrote (above) I see no
point in sending in a leaf. If others haven't found what causes it,
why should I think they could find it for me?

I'll follow up on your other leads, right now. Thanks!

Steve

Old 18-02-2004, 05:12 AM
Steve

K Barrett wrote:
Try this:

Oh foo. My e-mail to that address bounced.

Old 18-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Bob Walsh

Steve,

I replied toward the end of your last thread (in August) with a problem I
had from a fungus.

My problems reduced greatly when I repotted the affected plants. Prior to
putting the plants in the new mix I dipped them in Phyton. Spraying had been
ineffective.

After seeing your new pictures I suspect that maybe the fungus may be
affecting my Phals as well. Many of my Phals have leaves that look like
those you just posted. I wonder if the fungus may affect the thicker
harder leaves differently than the thinner softer leaves of Miltoniopsis and
others which the fungus went through like wildfire.

I'll soon be unpotting, dipping in phyton, and repotting my affected Phals.

Bob

Old 18-02-2004, 04:42 PM
K Barrett

I sent it to Ed, so we'll see what he says too. The OGD had 2 responses,
along the mites/microfungus line. Did you see them?

Nice to know that you are not alone.

Kath

Old 18-02-2004, 05:02 PM
K Barrett

I sent it to Dr Wang too. Why not? [shrug] All he can do is laugh in my
face. *G*

Personally, I'd send a leaf to Cornell. And ask that they look further than
the secondary infection caused by a fungus.

K Barrett

Old 23-02-2004, 05:44 AM
Steve

Replying to my own post.
I received several replies in private e-mail and on the OGD forum.
Several people were convinced that I had mites, even though the
first thing I tried was repeated sprays with SunSpray oil.
This week, I remembered that I own a microscope. I didn't think of
it at first because it is basically a toy I got for Christmas when I
was a kid. It is an actual functioning microscope and it DID let me
get a good look. I looked at several leaves on 5 different plants.
(I didn't have to cut off the leaves, I could just lay the leaf
across the microscope table.)
I found all sorts of tiny dust specks of various shapes and sizes
but nothing that could be a mite. I spent considerable time looking
and I am convinced that there are no mites there.
Just an update.

Steve

Old 25-02-2004, 02:48 AM
cantindo

I have the same problem on four phal. If you keep the answer post you
received, can you send it to me?
Bye
Dora

Old 29-02-2004, 01:42 AM

I tried most of your ailed remedies with the same sad results. However,
when I painted the sites with pool algicide (or physan) undiluted, daily
for five or six days and then whenever--my survival rate has been great!
Few of the ugly deformed leaves have gone the final route so the plant
is nothing to be enterred for judging, BUT they will drop off in a
timely manner as the plant grows. I have had the same results treating
the occasional crownrot problem. This was a "what have I got to lose"
decision I tried. I have about 150 phals, growing outside in S.
Florida., almost all in S/H. Alberta

LG Update: Birds of America (was Alexis Bledel update) Rob Jensen Ponds 0 26-12-2007 12:03 AM
Update on fish problems humBill Ponds 6 13-04-2006 07:44 PM
Interior Pond problems - update Wylie Wilde Ponds 4 17-03-2005 04:13 PM
Phal Question? Update Ben Lurkin Orchids 0 04-02-2004 04:35 AM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM