Old 18-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Tanya

Default phalaenopses lack of leaves

hello,
what can cause phalaenopses' leaves to stop growing?
the problem: 2 phalaenopses (in same room -- with lights) have the
latest leaves ~ 1 inch long (for 6 months (at least))
1 has 2 leaves only (actually 1.25 leaves -- 1 leaf is only 1/4 inches
long)
the other has 3.25 leaves
please advise

Old 18-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Rob Halgren

Tanya wrote:

hello,
what can cause phalaenopses' leaves to stop growing?
the problem: 2 phalaenopses (in same room -- with lights) have the
latest leaves ~ 1 inch long (for 6 months (at least))
1 has 2 leaves only (actually 1.25 leaves -- 1 leaf is only 1/4 inches
long)
the other has 3.25 leaves
please advise

Is it cool in the room? Phals are pretty sensitive to temperatures
below .... oh around 58F or so. They can sulk for weeks if not months
after getting cold. If that isn't it, and you haven't repotted
recently, you might want to give that a try. No roots = no growth.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
Old 18-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Tanya

Rob Halgren wrote:

Tanya wrote:

hello,
what can cause phalaenopses' leaves to stop growing?
the problem: 2 phalaenopses (in same room -- with lights) have the
latest leaves ~ 1 inch long (for 6 months (at least))
1 has 2 leaves only (actually 1.25 leaves -- 1 leaf is only 1/4 inches
long)
the other has 3.25 leaves
please advise

Is it cool in the room? Phals are pretty sensitive to temperatures
below .... oh around 58F or so. They can sulk for weeks if not months
after getting cold. If that isn't it, and you haven't repotted
recently, you might want to give that a try. No roots = no growth.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

thanks, Rob
the room they are in is 70 degrees (minimum)
both have root growth (the 1.25 leaved has a lot of root growth plus it is
growing a spike which is IMHO is a reason for concern (i don't know whether
the 1.25 leaves are sufficient for spiking?))
thanks,
sincerely
Tanya

Old 18-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Rob Halgren

Tanya wrote:

thanks, Rob
the room they are in is 70 degrees (minimum)
both have root growth (the 1.25 leaved has a lot of root growth plus it is
growing a spike which is IMHO is a reason for concern (i don't know whether
the 1.25 leaves are sufficient for spiking?))
thanks,
sincerely
Tanya

Mystery to me then. It may be full size, if it is a mini. Do you know
what the crosses are?

Old 19-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Tanya

Rob Halgren wrote:

Tanya wrote:

thanks, Rob
the room they are in is 70 degrees (minimum)
both have root growth (the 1.25 leaved has a lot of root growth plus it is
growing a spike which is IMHO is a reason for concern (i don't know whether
the 1.25 leaves are sufficient for spiking?))
thanks,
sincerely
Tanya

Mystery to me then. It may be full size, if it is a mini. Do you know
what the crosses are?

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

many thanks for the reply
i have no idea what the crosses are (they are species i.e. the ones sold in
grocery stores (HOWEVER they are VERY valuable to me)
the 0.25 inch leaves are abnormal for the plants unless they mutate ;-)
what about possibly food? i use the bloom food V.E.R.Y. dilute and distilled H2O
perhaps i should give them something else -- i have miracle gro (but it's
acidic) do you think that would be ok? -- they are in sphagnum moss...
very grateful for the response!
sincerely
Tanya

Old 19-02-2004, 04:03 AM
Tanya

snip

what about possibly food? i use the bloom food V.E.R.Y. dilute and distilled H2O
perhaps i should give them something else -- i have miracle gro (but it's
acidic) do you think that would be ok? -- they are in sphagnum moss...

sorry -- meant mirAcid (a miracle gro product) high N, acidic..........

Old 19-02-2004, 02:02 PM
J Fortuna

Tanya,

I was wondering if this is a case where a picture would be helpful. If we
saw a picture of this plant maybe we could better guess what might be wrong
(whether it looks healthy or sickly). Could you post a picture either to
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids or if you don't have access to that, post to a
Web site and then post a link to it here?

Also in my experience local plant nursery staff are sometimes very
knowledgeable, so if you take your plant to a plant nursery near you that
sells orchids, they might be able to better advise you while they are
actually looking at the plant. I have not approached my local orchid society
yet, but from what I hear that is a wonderful way to get advice about ones
plants and growing habits.

The reason why I am advising you to take this plant to someone in your area
is because sometimes it is much harder to tell what might be wrong with a
plant over a newsgroup, but if only someone had a chance to look it over
carefully, they might be able to get a much better idea of what could be
going on here.

Joanna

Old 19-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Tanya

hello,
thank you very much for replying and for the advice
i have both plants' photos he
http://pws.prserv.net/cainet.tjtmd/phalLeafs.html
(1 photo looks yellowish however they are not yellow the color in the other 3 is
accurate)

there is 1 place (an orchid shop) which i can call........

my main concern is that the 2-leaved one is starting to grow a spike and i want
it to grow leaves too.-- i.e. not sure whether flowering would be too much for
the plant
(as i mentioned i have used VERY LITTLE food and they are in sphagnum (and i
water w/ distilled water) so i wonder whether adding a balanced or high N food
would encourage leaf growth?)
(i have 3 others without lights, in another area of the house and they are not
growing anything but roots however their leaves are long (the newest leaves))
thanks so much!
sincerely
Tanya

Old 20-02-2004, 01:02 AM
J Fortuna

Tanya,

When you say "i have 3 others without lights, in another area of the house
and they are not growing anything but roots however their leaves are long",
what do you mean by without lights -- do you just mean without additional
grow lights, or also without natural light coming through the window? Light
is one thing that's really not optional for Phals. :-) Even though among
orchids they are considered "low light" plants, compared to many other
houseplants (that can just live in the middle of a room with artificial
light only) Phals do require enough light to thrive and flower, and regular
artificial light or even light from a northern window is not enough for
them. Lack of light or insufficient might explain lack of leaf growth.

How often do you water your Phals and how much water do you use at each
watering? The reason why I ask is because I recently heard from an
acquaintance who grows orchids unsuccessfully that she just gives them a
little bit of water at a time, and I wonder if that could be an explanation
for lack of growth. The best thing with Phals is to water with a lot of
water all at once and let it drip away (basically give your plant a
shower) -- do not let the roots stand in the water for a long time or it
will lead to root-rot. I noticed that your Phals are in moss, in my
experience it's easy to tell when they need water in moss, just touch the
surface and if it is at all moist, wait another day, but do not wait too
long -- the moss below the surface should still be moist when you water.

While I have never used distilled water that was only slightly fertilized,
and thus don't know whether it could be the cause of this lack of growth, I
know from my own experience that using tap-water without any fertilizer for
a long time, did not have as drastic an effect as your plants -- my plants
after this kind of treatment still had big new leaves. So I am not sure that
that's necessarily the cause. When you say that your fertilizer is high in
acid, how much do you mean? Can you post the ingredients with the numerical
values -- then someone in this group will be able to tell you if that is ok
to use. Right now I use a fertilizer with 7% Nitrogen, 9% Phospate, and 5%
Potash, and I use about a 1/4 of a teaspoon to a gallon of water. But I know
that there are many other formulas that are ok, too. Also the fertilizer you
use should have some additional ingredients like Calcium and Magnesium for
example. Since you use distilled water, this is actually very important --
those of us who use tap water may already have some of those minerals in the
water. I've heard that mineral deficiency for some of these other minerals
may cause serious problems too, so I wonder whether that could explain your
Phals' lack of growth.

I noticed that your Phal is very lopsided, in that the leaves on one side
are much bigger than those on the other. Is the bigger leaf the one that
grows closer to the light? That's what I would expect.

I wonder how young your plants are. The only Phal that I have that has a
tiny leaf like that was a keiki fairly recently and the tiny leaf is its
first or second leaf ever. Adult Phals however generally have much larger
leaves, and if they are healthy each additional generation of leaves is
bigger or same size as the previous one. At least that's true among man-made
Phal hybrids. My understanding is that this may not be the case for some
Phal species (I may be wrong about that though). For most of the Phal plants
that you can buy in your local stores though, the leaf size rule applies. If
a new generation of leaves on a Phal is smaller than the previous ones, that
generally means that the Phal is experiencing stress, and letting it flower
may not be a wise thing because flowering takes energy that the plant may
not be able to afford to spend.

The two-leaf plant, has it ever had more leaves? Has it lost leaves? If so,
has it lost the leaves from the bottom (below the ones that remain) --
that's the way it should be. Or has it lost leaves from the top -- that
would be bad.

How long have you had these plants? How much do you know about their
history? If you recently acquired them, it may be due to something that
happened before they came to you, or they may not be over the trauma of
changing environments yet.

Is any of this helpful to you? I hope so.

Joanna

"Tanya" wrote in message
Rob Halgren wrote:

Tanya wrote:

[...]

;-)

Old 21-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Tanya

hi Joanna,
thanks very much again for the reply!
[...below...]

J Fortuna wrote:

Tanya,

When you say "i have 3 others without lights, in another area of the house
and they are not growing anything but roots however their leaves are long",
what do you mean by without lights -- do you just mean without additional
grow lights, or also without natural light coming through the window?

with no additional lights... they get indirect light from a skyLight ... and 1
has bloomed de novo (i.e. it grew the spike here where it lives now!)

Light
is one thing that's really not optional for Phals. :-) Even though among
orchids they are considered "low light" plants, compared to many other
houseplants (that can just live in the middle of a room with artificial
light only) Phals do require enough light to thrive and flower, and regular
artificial light or even light from a northern window is not enough for
them. Lack of light or insufficient might explain lack of leaf growth.

those 3 plants have normal leaf growth

How often do you water your Phals and how much water do you use at each
watering? The reason why I ask is because I recently heard from an
acquaintance who grows orchids unsuccessfully that she just gives them a
little bit of water at a time, and I wonder if that could be an explanation
for lack of growth. The best thing with Phals is to water with a lot of
water all at once and let it drip away (basically give your plant a
shower) -- do not let the roots stand in the water for a long time or it
will lead to root-rot. I noticed that your Phals are in moss, in my
experience it's easy to tell when they need water in moss, just touch the
surface and if it is at all moist, wait another day, but do not wait too
long -- the moss below the surface should still be moist when you water.

ok i have definitely been underWatering... i had thought that the bottom of the
pot should be only damp -- i water twice a week (on avg.) and let the water run
through the pot (it's distilled)

While I have never used distilled water that was only slightly fertilized,
and thus don't know whether it could be the cause of this lack of growth, I
know from my own experience that using tap-water without any fertilizer for
a long time, did not have as drastic an effect as your plants -- my plants
after this kind of treatment still had big new leaves. So I am not sure that
that's necessarily the cause. When you say that your fertilizer is high in
acid, how much do you mean?

it's mirAcid (miracle gro makes it) orchids are listed as one of the plants it's
used for (on the box)... i haven't tested the pH but it's for "acid loving
plants".
main ingredients are 30-10-10 with micronutrients:
boron, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, zinc, (EDTA)
i haven't used this on my orchids... i've used the schultz "expert" orchid food
(19-31-17) with the same (as above) microNutrients.
i have a hydroponic food with 10-6-16 which includes calcium and magnesium and
other micronutrients and although the box warns only for hydroponics, if they
are in sphagnum moss and get for the most part distilled water, they could
really benefit from it i think........

Can you post the ingredients with the numerical
values -- then someone in this group will be able to tell you if that is ok
to use. Right now I use a fertilizer with 7% Nitrogen, 9% Phospate, and 5%
Potash, and I use about a 1/4 of a teaspoon to a gallon of water. But I know
that there are many other formulas that are ok, too. Also the fertilizer you
use should have some additional ingredients like Calcium and Magnesium for
example. Since you use distilled water, this is actually very important --
those of us who use tap water may already have some of those minerals in the
water. I've heard that mineral deficiency for some of these other minerals
may cause serious problems too, so I wonder whether that could explain your
Phals' lack of growth.

it really could
i *do* mix their food in tap water but it WAS so infrequent that i'm sure they
are lacking in the traces especially calcium, mag, really everything.

I noticed that your Phal is very lopsided, in that the leaves on one side
are much bigger than those on the other. Is the bigger leaf the one that
grows closer to the light? That's what I would expect.

are you referring to the larger one? if so it came lopSided and i have it that
way to try to get it straighter... currently the leaves are all away from the
light...

if you are referring to the 2-leafer: no actually that one gets enough light
(i'd turned off 2 of the lights for the photos) however when i got it, it had a
short leaf on that side (also had the same long leaf) but the short leaf was
far longer / wider than the current leaf.

I wonder how young your plants are. The only Phal that I have that has a
tiny leaf like that was a keiki fairly recently and the tiny leaf is its
first or second leaf ever. Adult Phals however generally have much larger
leaves, and if they are healthy each additional generation of leaves is
bigger or same size as the previous one. At least that's true among man-made
Phal hybrids. My understanding is that this may not be the case for some
Phal species (I may be wrong about that though). For most of the Phal plants
that you can buy in your local stores though, the leaf size rule applies. If
a new generation of leaves on a Phal is smaller than the previous ones, that
generally means that the Phal is experiencing stress, and letting it flower
may not be a wise thing because flowering takes energy that the plant may
not be able to afford to spend.

yes, i have to cut off the spike and also rePot

The two-leaf plant, has it ever had more leaves? Has it lost leaves?

the little one has always had 2 leaves. (see above) but the replacement for the
lost leaf (that was shorter and wider than the long leaf) is far smaller.

If so,
has it lost the leaves from the bottom (below the ones that remain) --
that's the way it should be. Or has it lost leaves from the top -- that
would be bad.

it lost the smaller leaf from under the tiny 1/4 leaf.

How long have you had these plants? How much do you know about their
history? If you recently acquired them, it may be due to something that
happened before they came to you, or they may not be over the trauma of
changing environments yet.

these were all from the "reduced for a quick sale" area i had the larger one
almost 2 years; the 2-leafer 1.5 years
they ALL (all 5) had HORRIBLE roots (and initially a very *stupid* owner)
because the 2-leafer was "growing" in dirt and actually it really improved (was
completely wilted originally)
when i repotted it eventually there were a number of bluish black bugs and only
1 long root and 2 short ones were salvageable so it was in plastic for quite a
while.
it has a lot of roots now.
the other one had lousy roots as well but after repotting had grown 1 long leaf
and then the short one after that (it's lost a couple -- from the bottom).

Is any of this helpful to you? I hope so.

Joanna

it really is very helpful -- thank you!
diagnosis: underFed, underWatered and too little light
at least they are foregiving (or have been
thanks
sincerely
Tanya

Old 21-02-2004, 12:42 PM
J Fortuna

Tanya,

Glad my attempts at trouble shooting helped. :-) I was really baffled by the
extremely short leaves, but I figured if I just rambled long enough about
what Phals need, some helpful idea might come out of it.

I am very surprised that you water on avg twice a week, and that by the time
you water again only the moss at the bottom of the pot is barely damp. I
guess your environment must be such that your plants dry out extremely
quickly. Have you considered getting a humidifier? It could be that your
home is a bit too dry for them.

If I were you I would be careful with a diagnosis of "underwatered" (while
it is possible to underwater them, few of us do), and be sure not to
overwater the Phals either (because that would be even worse). If you are
already watering twice a week, and you think that they dry out too much
between waterings, consider repotting them in plastic pots instead of clay
pots -- they should dry out more slowly in plastic pots.

You said that you think that they may not be getting enough light, but the
plant has grown a new spike in this place. I wonder whether if you had
decided to let it continue spiking it would have developped a keiki instead
of flowered. That's what happened with my first Phal, after growing in a
north window for a year.

I am not sure about the fertilizer, it might be too much Nitrogen after all,
30-10-10 seems like a rather extreme formula to me. But then again I don't
know much about the different fertilizers, so maybe I am the wrong person to
comment on this part of your post.

From your story it sounds like you rescued these poor Phals from a rather
dire situation, and that they are already doing better than they were
before. So maybe the short leaves are not as surprising, considering what
they had been through. And if you just keep trying to improve their
conditions, I am sure that they will be fine.

Best,
Joanna