Old 20-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Shell

Default OT- Pop Up help

No problem I will have to check out the profesional version of Ad-Aware.
Having been hacked once I also use Zone Alarm (at one time I was using 3
different firewalls, being paranoid) I have Zone Alarm set to not allow
anything to be used as a server and I regularly go on these sites and check
things out:

http://www.annoyances.org/
http://www.answersthatwork.com/
http://grc.com/default.htm

The last url has tests that can be run to make sure your computer is secure.

Shell

"molli" wrote in message

The Professional version of Ad-Aware (the one you buy) is even better! We
just got it, and it caught stuff the freeware version didn't. I also use
the google toolbar popup blocker. Am going hunting for the Spybot Search
and Destroy now. Thanks for the tip on that one.
Hugs,
Molli

. I use Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and the Google Toolbar which
blocks pop ups. I also run SpywareGuard and WinPatrol which keep my

browser
from being hijacked and keeps anything from being installed or run that

don't want. All of these are free (One of my favorite words) and all

work
great.

Shell

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
t...
I apologize in advance for the OT, but I've seen tech issues addressed

in
this forum previously so I am hoping someone can assist.

In the past 3 days I started getting an unbelievable amount of pop

ups.
If
I leave my computer on and unattended for 10 minutes, there will be so

many
of them when I return, that I will need to re-start my machine. It is

out
of control and I have no idea where it came from. Along with it, I

started
receiving and a tremendous amount of spam into my inbox. I'm not

certain
that they are related, but what I am certain about, is that I want to

put
an
end to it. Is there any software, or any other things that I can do

keep
all these unwanted solicitations at bay?

-M

Old 21-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Fred Garvin

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in
t:

I apologize in advance for the OT, but I've seen tech issues addressed
in this forum previously so I am hoping someone can assist.

In the past 3 days I started getting an unbelievable amount of pop
ups. If I leave my computer on and unattended for 10 minutes, there
will be so many of them when I return, that I will need to re-start my
machine. It is out of control and I have no idea where it came from.
Along with it, I started receiving and a tremendous amount of spam
into my inbox. I'm not certain that they are related, but what I am
certain about, is that I want to put an end to it. Is there any
software, or any other things that I can do to keep all these unwanted
solicitations at bay?

-M

fgj

--
My other machine runs Linux!
Try a live distro today! Mepis or Knoppix.
Old 21-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Fred Garvin

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in
t:

I apologize in advance for the OT, but I've seen tech issues addressed
in this forum previously so I am hoping someone can assist.

In the past 3 days I started getting an unbelievable amount of pop
ups. If I leave my computer on and unattended for 10 minutes, there
will be so many of them when I return, that I will need to re-start my
machine. It is out of control and I have no idea where it came from.
Along with it, I started receiving and a tremendous amount of spam
into my inbox. I'm not certain that they are related, but what I am
certain about, is that I want to put an end to it. Is there any
software, or any other things that I can do to keep all these unwanted
solicitations at bay?

-M

Switch your web browser to Mozilla, it stops all pop ups/unders.
Microsoft with all of it's money and "brains" can't make a good OS or
web browser. How sad it that????

Old 22-03-2004, 05:02 AM
tennis maynard

Fred Garvin wrote:

Switch your web browser to Mozilla, it stops all pop ups/unders.
Microsoft with all of it's money and "brains" can't make a good OS or
web browser. How sad it that????

How sad is it that nearly everyone buys this inferior product (from a
company whose main product is apparently patches for flaws in its other
products) instead of the superior Mac product (has its own browser,
Safari, which also stops all popups, and not (so far) vulnerable viruses.??

Old 22-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Ray

Tennis,

PLEASE don't dredge up this crap again. What do you think this is. OGD???
grin

Not pertinent to orchids, and not helpful to anyone.