Old 19-03-2004, 08:32 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default OT- Pop Up help

I apologize in advance for the OT, but I've seen tech issues addressed in
this forum previously so I am hoping someone can assist.

In the past 3 days I started getting an unbelievable amount of pop ups. If
I leave my computer on and unattended for 10 minutes, there will be so many
of them when I return, that I will need to re-start my machine. It is out
of control and I have no idea where it came from. Along with it, I started
receiving and a tremendous amount of spam into my inbox. I'm not certain
that they are related, but what I am certain about, is that I want to put an
end to it. Is there any software, or any other things that I can do to keep
all these unwanted solicitations at bay?

-M

Old 19-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Bobby Baxter

You are infected with AdWare. Do a google search for AdWare and you will
find many free tools that will remove it from your computer.

Bobby Baxter
http://thegardensite.com

t...

Old 19-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Aaron Hicks

Ah, popups. The satan spawn of advertising and computers.

First off, run Spybot Search and Destroy. It's free.

Secondly, get Lavasoft's "Ad-aware." It's free, too. You can find
where to get both of these from a Google search; I'd offer an URL for
Spybot, but they seem to have moved around a bit thanks to DDOS attacks
from the spyware and spammer consortium. Ad-aware comes from Lavasoft, at:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

That'll get rid of your problem- spyware like Gator or something
similar is to blame almost without doubt.

Now- once you get rid of the crap, keep it out- use the
"vaccinate" feature on Spybot. Once you do THAT, download Mozilla
Firefox- far more bulletproof than IE, but looks and feels just like it.
I ditched IE months ago, and never looked back.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox

I'm still playing with Mozilla Thunderbird (the mail reader); I
can't quite get the spam filtering to work for me using Thunderbird. Most
people have great success right off the bat- but not me. Unfortunately, I
use Cox.net which *charges* extra for spam filtering. Suxor.

Once you get Firefox up and running, clamp down on it- Tools
Options Cookies, and then "Enable cookies," BUT- make sure to select "for
the current session only," and "but ask before accepting." They're not
paying you- why should advertisers get their information for free? You'll
be amazed at how many sites try to put cookies on your computer. Some you
want- most you don't need. Keep off the ones you don't.

I can't say enough good things about Firefox. It has built-in
popup blocking (seamless!), you can right-click to block ads from a given
source, and there are plug-ins such as "flash click to play" so that when
flash animations come up, there's just a little bar that says "flash
[[Click to play]]" so that you don't have distracting video while you're
trying to read the article.

Yay.

The e-mail address in this header is a spam trap that goes
straight to the FTC. Don't send e-mail there.

-AJHicks
The Orchid Seedbank
Chandler, AZ

Old 19-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"GrlIntrpted" writes:
In the past 3 days I started getting an unbelievable amount of pop ups. If

Mozilla is the only good solution to this - and don't install software
you don't know. You may have some ad/spyware installed. Adaware will
find most things.

Geir

Old 20-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Steve

Aaron Hicks wrote:
Ah, popups. The satan spawn of advertising and computers.

First off, run Spybot Search and Destroy. It's free.

Secondly, get Lavasoft's "Ad-aware." It's free, too. You can find
where to get both of these from a Google search; I'd offer an URL for
Spybot, but they seem to have moved around a bit thanks to DDOS attacks
from the spyware and spammer consortium. Ad-aware comes from Lavasoft, at:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

.................................................. .....................

Mariana,
Aaron is most certainly right about the Ad-aware program. I don't
remember ever being so completely happy with a computer program.
Download it, install it, then click the "check for updates now"
button. Then have it scan your computer and don't be surprised if it
finds over 100 things it doesn't like. Don't go through the list one
item at a time (it will take forever). Right click the list and
choose select all (or what ever). Be bold and have it clean up
everything it found. I've never seen it go after something I wanted
to keep.
Pop up windows that come when you open a web site are another story.
I have zero problems with those now that I use Netscape 7.1 as my
browser. If I ever have to use Explorer and the pop ups start, I
think "yuck, I forgot about those things!".
I don't have spam all figured out but for sure, if you aren't
getting spam, don't ever use your real address on a newsgroup!

Steve

Old 20-03-2004, 02:29 AM
Shell

I use Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and the Google Toolbar which
blocks pop ups. I also run SpywareGuard and WinPatrol which keep my browser
from being hijacked and keeps anything from being installed or run that I
don't want. All of these are free (One of my favorite words) and all work
great.

Shell

Old 20-03-2004, 02:52 AM
molli

The Professional version of Ad-Aware (the one you buy) is even better! We
just got it, and it caught stuff the freeware version didn't. I also use
the google toolbar popup blocker. Am going hunting for the Spybot Search
and Destroy now. Thanks for the tip on that one.
Hugs,
Molli

Old 20-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Ray

If you buy Ad-Aware Plus (no need to go to the "Pro" version for a single
computer), it includes Ad-Watch, which is also an effective Pop-Up blocker,
in addition to registry guard, etc.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 20-03-2004, 02:48 PM
GrlIntrpted

Thank you all for the termendouly helpful information.

Much appreciated,
Mariana

"Ray" wrote in message
If you buy Ad-Aware Plus (no need to go to the "Pro" version for a single
computer), it includes Ad-Watch, which is also an effective Pop-Up

blocker,
in addition to registry guard, etc.