Old 24-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Epsom, Surrey
Default blue Cats

hi everyone! my name is Gareth and i live in the U.K. i was wondering if anyone else on this board is in the U.K.? and whether anyone knows a source of decent blue Cattleyas?

any help would be appreciated!

Gareth
Old 25-07-2004, 03:15 AM
Mick Fournier

Gareth,

I have a lot of blue Cattleyas in flasks. They are my favorites.... and my
bread and butter.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...s/catalog.html

Try this Cattleya lawrenceana coerulea Aulisi x self to really impress your
mates.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...oer_aulisi.jpg

I will soon be offering Cattleya percivaliana coerulea Undine x self
again... the last time I had this one in the catalog it sold out in 2 days.
I have another three 10-plant bottles coming up in August.

Cheerio,

Mick Fournier
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

==================================

Old 25-07-2004, 03:02 PM
kenty ;-\)

Hi Gareth,I live in Nottingham ,England,UK.I have been using this newsgroup
for about 2 years.It is full of knowledge & experience.Everyone is
helpful,try alt.binaries.pictures.orchids if you can get it!you will
then be able to easily share pics of your orchids & view others from the
group!Are you in a orchid society? or just new to the world of orchid
obsession!

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 25-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Registered User

Location: Epsom, Surrey

hi Mick and Kenty! Mick that blue you told me about looks wonderful! i may be interested in some! i take it they are very popular from what you wrote about them selling in a matter of days! i will have to make my mind up fast! thanks for the info!

Kenty, i have been an addict for the past 10 years and my addiction is getting worse (dont worry it wasnt me that stole the Cyp. calceolus!!! i already have one that im quite happy with) i have the largest collection of Neofinetia falcata cultivars in the U.K. so you may be able to tell these are kinda my favourites! but i have many more different types also, blue Cats being my latest obsession!. what do you grow? and how long have you been growing?

Gareth

Old 26-07-2004, 10:02 PM
kenty ;-\)

Gareth, I have only been growing orchids for about two years,I have a
intermediate greenhouse, with catts,phals& vanda etc.Only about 40 plants at
the moment.I am a member of the East Midlands Orchid Society are you a
member of a society?We will have to keep in contact,were are you from/living
in the UK.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 27-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Epsom, Surrey

I'm not a member of a society, and funnily enough i have never been, i dont know why, but i guess i just havent got around to it yet! currently i have only my warm house set up, and it is due for expantion this summer which i cant wait for!!! i have Neofinetias (more than 70) Cattleyas, Vandas, Phals, Dendrobes, Laelias, Oncidiums, Stanhopeas, Lycastes, one or two Grammatophylum species, a couple of Paphs, a nice Sobralia, and in winter my cool house collection too, but they dont like the warm winter very much! i also have a few one-offs which are some of my favourites, like Promaenia and Polyrrhyza (i think thats how you spell it???) i also have some i have brought back from holidays one of which i cant identify at all! i think all together i have around 250 plants-ish.

i am in south London, with good access to alot of nurseries and shows (the london show being one of the high lights!)

do you grow any oddities?

Gareth
Old 27-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Epsom, Surrey

also..... do you grow anything other than Orchids?
Old 28-07-2004, 09:33 PM
kenty ;-\)

Hi Gareth, I went to the RHS London Show,that is were I got my favourite
orchid so far it is a vanda rothschildiana .Another favourite I have is
phalaenopsis reichenbachiana.I love them all though,that's how they get you
isn't it!Other than orchids, I love gardening.I have only got a bromeliad &
a mimosa pudica (Sensitive plant)growing with my orchids at the moment.The
mimosa reacts to being touched,the leaves curl up as though it is dead,then
after a while go back to normal. My orchid greenhouse has only been up for
about 2 months ,so early days.I used to grow them in the house.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 29-07-2004, 12:40 AM
V_coerulea

Hi Gareth,
I'm Gareth too but live in South Carolina, USA. Mick's selection of blues is
hard to find anywhere else. And his flask prices aren't bad either. I think
you've made a good connection.
Gareth

Old 01-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Epsom, Surrey

well next year let me know if youre coming down for the show! we can meet up, its easy for me to get to, i just roll out of bed and im at a station that takes me straight to victoria.
its funny you should mention V. rothschildiana, after i read your last reply, i went out to have a look at mine and found a flower stem about 2 inches long. this is the first time it has ever flowered for me!
i cant say ive ever heard of phalaenopsis reichenbachiana but will look it up, my fave phal. i think is lowii, i recently bought this one and it is doing really well (touch wood). i think the one that really got me hooked was Stanhopea assidensis (i think, it was so long ago) the smell from it was incredible, but then along came my first Neofinetia falcata, and that was it.
i have all sorts of other exotic plants (tender and hardy) i just love plants in general, but orchids are my favourites!