Old 14-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Peter Ashby

Default Mature phal to cork?

I have had a Phal for about 10years now and for 8 of those it sat in a
plastic pot and tried to climb out of it quite rapidly. I then drilled
out a pot to effect a net pot and since then it has kept 4 leaves
instead of 3 and its climbing has slowed a bit. At the moment it is
growing a new leaf and putting out new roots.

As I have found an online supplier of cork bark I was wondering if it
would be practicable to move this plant onto this and out of a pot or
would I have needed to do this when it was much younger?

Peter

Old 14-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Diana Kulaga

Peter,

What kind of medium is it in? That might matter in how you transition the
plant to cork. Remember that it will need somewhat more humidity and more
frequent watering if it is mounted, but that can be handled.

On the basic question of mounting Phals, I mount some of mine, and they
thrive. I don't see age having anything to do with it. It's more how you
move it, I think.

Diana

Old 15-08-2004, 01:19 AM
K Barrett

I did that for the same reason and the plant died deader than dead.

I don't know what it wants when they do that. You'd think - like you did -
that the plant was saying it didn't want any medium around its roots. But
maybe its really saying it doesn't want that *type* of medium around its
roots. Or that pot. Or your watering habits. Or the temp you have it in.

But to answer your second question, I don't thik the age of the plant
really has anything to do with it. It will accomodate to whatever you put
it in/on. Loss of leaves etc would be the outcome of its acclimation, but
it would come around.

uk...

Old 15-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Ray

The only issue when moving a plant to a mount is whether you can accommodate
it well enough that way. Phals need a lot of water, so you'll be looking at
watering daily in the home, possibly less frequently if you have a really
humid greenhouse.

..

Old 15-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Peter Ashby

K Barrett wrote:

I did that for the same reason and the plant died deader than dead.

I don't know what it wants when they do that. You'd think - like you did -
that the plant was saying it didn't want any medium around its roots. But
maybe its really saying it doesn't want that *type* of medium around its
roots. Or that pot. Or your watering habits. Or the temp you have it in.

good points, the medium I have is generic orchid compost from the local
garden store. I think first step might be to source some coarser bark
for it.

Thanks for all the advice and experience people, this group is good for
these questions.

Peter

Old 15-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Peter Ashby

K Barrett wrote:

I did that for the same reason and the plant died deader than dead.

I don't know what it wants when they do that. You'd think - like you did -
that the plant was saying it didn't want any medium around its roots. But
maybe its really saying it doesn't want that *type* of medium around its
roots. Or that pot. Or your watering habits. Or the temp you have it in.

good points, the medium I have is generic orchid compost from the local
garden store. I think first step might be to source some coarser bark
for it.

Thanks for all the advice and experience people, this group is good for
these questions.

Peter

Mature phal to cork? Peter Ashby Orchids 0 14-08-2004 08:12 PM
Cork Oak Tasha Gardening 0 21-08-2003 08:42 AM
baby born cork oak Theo Bonsai 0 09-05-2003 06:45 PM
Thinking of using a cork background for your aquarium? Wraith Freshwater Aquaria Plants 13 20-04-2003 06:17 AM
gardents near Cork? Judith Lea United Kingdom 9 24-01-2003 09:12 AM