Old 18-08-2004, 04:21 PM
K Barrett

Default Domain name scammers?

'Domain Registry of America' sent me a bill for renewing OrchidSafari's
domain name. I usually register with 'Network Solutions'.

Has anyone else gotten this sort of bill? I'm trying to figure out if
Domain Registry is trying to take my business from Network Solutions (like
'slamming' in the phone company). I was just about to pay it when I
realized it wasn't the same company.

Isn't there was only one source for domain names? Or am I old fashioned it
doesn't work that way anymore?

K Barrett

Old 18-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Eric Hunt

Kathy,

There are now many many sources for domain names. Another layer has been
introduced into the system. These new companies literally "wholesale" domain
names from Network Solutions and resell them to you.

The upside is that they are providing MUCH cheaper prices. I pay $8/year for
orchidphotos.org through namecheap.com and about $35/yr for erichunt.com
through Network Solutions. Now that erichunt.com isn't as critical a website
to keep up - I will probably change the registration over to namecheap.

That's my one concern - I'm still not completely clear on what happens when
you move your domain from one registrar to another.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 18-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Philippe

Domain Registry of America often tries this scam. They are trying to get
you to switch to their own fairly expensive domain registry service.

Network solutions is also fairly expensive, given that web.com is 6.95
$/year and godaddy is 8.95.

Philippe

"K Barrett" wrote in

Old 18-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Philippe

figure to switch between nameservers takes about 72 hours to propogate
globally.

in other words, make sure you do it 3 days or so before your domain
expires

the money per year is basically to pay a company to maintain a small (5
kb max) text file for you on 2 servers.

Philippe

Old 18-08-2004, 08:53 PM
K Barrett

Admittedly I'm not very up on how these things work. Sometimes I'm amazed I
can get out of bed in the morning.

So I can change OrchidSafari.org and orchidtrek.com to a company like
web.com and still have the domain name properly registered? Only taking 3
days for it to go global?

Pretty cool!

The Pac Central judging center will like that when I get around to renewing
that domain name too. Anything to save a buck. They seemed a bit dismayed
at the last business meeting that these web costs were annual and ongoing.
The Pac Central hasn't got a great revenue stream. Come to think of it I
don't think they have one at all. Any money they have comes from donations
or support from member societies or from raffle table plants the judges may
donate to member societies - and they've cut back on doing that too.

Anyway,

Thanks Philippe and Eric,

K Barrett

.202...

Old 19-08-2004, 02:05 PM
CrystalOrchidsPA

Domain Registry of America' sent me a bill for renewing OrchidSafari's
domain name. I usually register with 'Network Solutions'.

My web site CrystalOrchids.com is registered with Network Solutions. I did get
a solicitation from DRA but Network matched the pricing. I renewed for five
years for $95.00. A good price at the time. The only thing I am disapointed in
is the fact that Network Solutions will not upload my web page to my internet
domain without charging me to manage the account. I'm not sure what to do at
this time and NS has not returned any of my e-mails.

Old 19-08-2004, 04:38 PM
K Barrett

"CrystalOrchidsPA" wrote in message
Domain Registry of America' sent me a bill for renewing OrchidSafari's
domain name. I usually register with 'Network Solutions'.

My web site CrystalOrchids.com is registered with Network Solutions. I did

get
a solicitation from DRA but Network matched the pricing. I renewed for

five
years for $95.00. A good price at the time. The only thing I am

disapointed in
is the fact that Network Solutions will not upload my web page to my

internet
domain without charging me to manage the account. I'm not sure what to do

at
this time and NS has not returned any of my e-mails.

Call them 1-888-642-9675

K Barrett

Old 20-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Ray

Ed,

I'm not sure what you are asking NS to do.

All a registrar does is stake your claim on the domain, and publish the IP
address(es) and/or domain name server(s) that it resides on. Think of them
as a giant reference table out on the web. They may or may not have
anything to do with hosting your site or managing your files. (Besides, if
you're creating your website on your computer, how could they access it to
upload the files?)

I see from a whois lookup that they are indeed your web host, so they
probably have given you a server name or IP address upon which they have
allocated space for you, a user name and a password. At that point it's
normally up to you to move the files themselves, usually via FTP or with
something like FrontPage.

..