Old 15-09-2004, 04:46 AM
Steve

Nell wrote:
.....I'm just hoping it doesn't infect my paphs, oncs
and whatever others I have.

[sigh]
Norma

Norma, I have had Paphs growing in with the diseased Phals since before
the Phal problem started. The Paphs are healthy and doing fine.
On the other hand, my Dendrobiums developed a spot disease about the
same time the Phals started and it doesn't seem to go away with
fungicides. It behaves quite a bit like the Phal disease. Many of my
Oncidium alliance plants have gone down hill as well but I can't say
their problem resembles the Phal disease. The Dendrobiums and Oncidiums
are normally not in the same area as the Phals but when they are in
bloom I often place them there for a while.

Steve

PS Here's a picture, taken last year, of the Dendrobium disease:
http://stevewilson.homestead.com/fil...e5_31_03_2.jpg
That plant I've had for around 20 years. It was never a great bloomer
but until recent years, it had nearly perfect, unblemished leaves. Now
it seems that every leaf starts in with the spots as the leaf matures.
Old 15-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Ray

I cannot speak with expertise about the specific problem, but don't think
for a moment that the same affliction will display the same symptoms with
all plants.

Think about it - the phals have thick, fleshy leaves while dens and oncids
have thin leaves. A surface problem might easily cause the depressions you
see in the phals, but those depressions go all the way through a thin leaf.

Based upon the pictures, I'd speculate (a high-falutin' way of saying
"guess") that your growing conditions have fostered the maintenance of a
particularly nasty fungus of some sort, and any treatments you may have
applied have been insufficient at eradicating it, and if applied improperly,
may have helped develop a stronger strain. If I was facing that, I'd take
in some strong measures:

1) Move all plants out of the growing area and sterilize the crap out of
it with bleach.
2) Treat all of your plants with a good systemic fungicide, repeating the
application religiously according to label instructions.
3) Destroy the really badly infected plants.

Then, observe and study really thoroughly your cultural practices. I'd bet
that whatever-it-is came in with one plant, but too much moisture with a
lack of air movement - or something cultural like that - has really
aggravated the situation, and if that isn't remedied, you might end up right
back where you are now.

..

Old 16-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Nell

Steve wrote:

Norma, I have had Paphs growing in with the diseased Phals since before
the Phal problem started. The Paphs are healthy and doing fine.
On the other hand, my Dendrobiums developed a spot disease about the
same time the Phals started and it doesn't seem to go away with
fungicides. It behaves quite a bit like the Phal disease.

An onc. (Sharry Baby) also has spots. Not the same kind of spots that
the phals have but close. Also has not flowered this year. I'm posting
a pic of it in the binary group the minute I finish posting here.

All my orchids are in the kitchen window, northwest exposure and they
have thrived there for years until recently. We had the window replaced
last year and that's the only difference in the environment. No more
bone-chilling drafts in January (we're in Canada). Wonder if this is
what has started the problem for some reason.

N.

Old 16-09-2004, 02:21 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:40:50 GMT, Nell wrote:

Steve wrote:

[...]

It could be that what to you were bone-chilling drafts were just
the breezes that kept the air moving to your plants. I saw
Sharry Baby, that is not her usual black spot problem. I am with
RAY. Get some air movement in the room, get everything out of the
dead corner, make sure the calk on the new window is not
vaporizing in some harmful way. Watch your water timing. Sharry
looked too wet.
SuE

Old 16-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Steve

Nell wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

I looked at your Sharry Baby picture last night but didn't have time to
respond. My problem Oncidiums don't look exactly like that, but some are
similar. I notice that the disease causes bad spots on the pseudobulbs.
Mine do the same.
Since you have the same Phal disease and probably the same Oncidium
disease, I think that may be a small bit of evidence that it's really
the same disease in both.
I wonder if anyone has that disease in an Oncidium with normal healthy
Phals growing near by?

Steve
Old 16-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Steve

Nell wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

Phal Jennifer Matthews 'Rotunda' X Phal Carmela's Spots' v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 16-04-2008 11:38 PM
Yellow spots on phal leaf Nell Orchids 2 07-11-2003 10:02 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspp Unique Too Roses 7 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM