Old 12-09-2004, 10:56 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Catasetum culture

I posted two photos of a Catasetum pileatum in ABPO under same subject line.
As you can see, the leaves are yellowing. The second photo is of the
surface of the plant to show that the roots are looking well, and that the
bulbs are nice and on the plump side. My questions a

I- Is it this time of the year when the ctsm's start to shed leaves? if so,
is this when I stop watering it completely?
II- It stayed pretty much in full sun all summer, and took it very well, the
leaves were green up until Friday of last week. If I keep it in darker
conditions now, withold water until new growth appears, give it a drop of
about 10 to 15F at night, and about 74F during the day, from now until
spring
A: When can I approximately expect it to send out a spike?
B: Will it produce male flowers?

III- And if it's not that time of the year, then can someone clue me in as
to what's going on with this orchid?

Very thankful for any tips & assistance,
Mariana

Old 13-09-2004, 09:08 PM
danny

This is the time of year for some Catasetums to lose their leaves. When
this happens will vary with different species.

In "The World of Catasetums" by Arthur Holst, he gives the following info
for C. pileatum:
Flowering is mainly in Autumn, although plants may flower at any time. A
bulb can produce multiple spikes.
This species is accustomed to hot, humid conditions and may only need a
short dry season. Some plants that come from Venezuela's savannah will have
a longer dry period. Provide a winter rest if the plant's appearance
indicates a need for dormancy.

If you like Catasetums you may want to get this book, it's not very
expensive.

-danny

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
t...
[...]

A: When can I approximately expect it to send out a spike?

Old 13-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Rob Halgren

GrlIntrpted wrote:

Does no one else grow Catasetums on this board?

I do... A few, anyway. I used to have more, and probably will
again very soon. Problem with answering the questions below is that it
is very variable. I can't see the pictures, but if the plant is
otherwise healthy looking and the pseudobulbs are big and firm, then you
could be dropping leaves any time between a few weeks ago and January.
It gets really wonky if you grow under lights - no guesses then. Some
catasetums, even normally deciduous ones, will not bother dropping their
leaves if they don't get the right signals. Most seem to bloom
normally regardless. I still haven't figured out which conditions give
male or female flowers. There are a few schools of thought on that. I
suspect this varies by species as well.

I wouldn't put it in a darker spot. Or at least not a lot darker.
A lot of people unpot them when they are dormant, and repot them when
the new growths come out. I've never bothered with that... I've never
been particularly good at withholding water, either. I'd water them a
lot less, but if the pseudobulbs start to crinkle up I always give in
and give them a little drink. You should see flowers in a few months,
I'd guess. I think my pileatum blooms while leafless. That may be
variable in the species. I do know that mine always used to bloom back
into my tiered benches, into a wire mesh. So I'd never know it was in
spike until I snapped it off. I don't grow on those benches anymore....

I'd really recommend the Holst book on catasetums, if you are even
mildly interested in the genus. It is excellent.

Rob

[...]

A: When can I approximately expect it to send out a spike?
B: Will it produce male flowers?

III- And if it's not that time of the year, then can someone clue me in as
to what's going on with this orchid?

Very thankful for any tips & assistance,
Mariana

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 13-09-2004, 10:30 PM
GrlIntrpted

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
GrlIntrpted wrote:

Does no one else grow Catasetums on this board?

I do... A few, anyway. I used to have more, and probably will
again very soon. Problem with answering the questions below is that it
is very variable. I can't see the pictures, but if the plant is
otherwise healthy looking and the pseudobulbs are big and firm, then you
could be dropping leaves any time between a few weeks ago and January.
It gets really wonky if you grow under lights - no guesses then.

The p/b's a very firm, the roots are out of control (root growth upon root
growth all over the surface, it looks like white grass on the surface). The
leaves are showing yellow streaks and some brown/dry marks on the outer
ridges.

Some
catasetums, even normally deciduous ones, will not bother dropping their
leaves if they don't get the right signals. Most seem to bloom
normally regardless. I still haven't figured out which conditions give
male or female flowers. There are a few schools of thought on that. I
suspect this varies by species as well.

I'm hoping to get some male flowers, aren't they showier?

I wouldn't put it in a darker spot. Or at least not a lot darker.

It spent the summer in the outdoors (well the spring too), I'm thinking of
moving it indoors and to let it sit on the Western exposure side, in the pot
as is, and if it shrivles up I guess i'll mist it, but it's fairly dry at
home, and around 74F, at night we drop it to around 68F. Can it still stay
outside?

I'd really recommend the Holst book on catasetums, if you are even
mildly interested in the genus. It is )

Your response is greatly appreciated Rob, thank you.

Mariana

Old 13-09-2004, 10:30 PM
GrlIntrpted

"danny" wrote in message
. ..
This is the time of year for some Catasetums to lose their leaves. When
this happens will vary with different species.

In "The World of Catasetums" by Arthur Holst, he gives the following info
for C. pileatum:
Flowering is mainly in Autumn, although plants may flower at any time. A
bulb can produce multiple spikes.
This species is accustomed to hot, humid conditions and may only need a
short dry season. Some plants that come from Venezuela's savannah will

have
a longer dry period. Provide a winter rest if the plant's appearance
indicates a need for dormancy.

If you like Catasetums you may want to get this book, it's not very
expensive.

-danny

danny and Rob,

Many thanks for the tip on the book, will look into it.

Mariana

Old 14-09-2004, 01:03 AM
Steve

Rob Halgren wrote:
I'd really recommend the Holst book on catasetums, if you are even
mildly interested in the genus. It is excellent.

Mariana, if Danny and Rob haven't already talked you into ordering the
book, the AOS has a review that you might want to read he
http://www.theaos.org/publications/b...0/reviews.html

Steve

Old 14-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Rob Halgren

GrlIntrpted wrote:

The p/b's a very firm, the roots are out of control (root growth upon root
growth all over the surface, it looks like white grass on the surface). The
leaves are showing yellow streaks and some brown/dry marks on the outer
ridges.

Probably just normal deciduous leaf drop then. Spider mites will
also cause the leaves to yellow (starting at the tips, at my house).
Spider mites are a pain.

I'm hoping to get some male flowers, aren't they showier?

As with most species, particularly primates, the male is always the
showier and more desired phenotype... *grin* Female catasetum flowers
are interesting. But not what you are looking for, most likely.

It spent the summer in the outdoors (well the spring too), I'm thinking of
moving it indoors and to let it sit on the Western exposure side, in the pot
as is, and if it shrivles up I guess i'll mist it, but it's fairly dry at
home, and around 74F, at night we drop it to around 68F. Can it still stay
outside?

As was already noted, this is supposed to be a relatively warm
grower, so I wouldn't take it down much below 50 if I could get away
with it. While dormant, it won't care too much about the cool
temperatures, as long as it is kept dry. You could probably get away
with temperatures in the 40's overnight a few times.

Rob

Old 14-09-2004, 03:21 PM
wendy7

I heard that Kelthane works! Especially made for spidermites.
Male & female flowers? I would be happy with either!*G*
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Rob Halgren wrote:

snip

Old 15-09-2004, 01:10 PM
J. Del Col

"wendy7" wrote in message news:v7D1d.38200$9Y5.24489@fed1read02...
I heard that Kelthane works! Especially made for spidermites.
Male & female flowers? I would be happy with either!*G*

Kelthane should --not-- be used indoors.

J. Del Col

Catasetum question Nancy G. Orchids 8 03-09-2006 06:12 AM
Catasetum Rebecca Northen 'Grapefruit Pink' Shell Orchids 9 21-12-2003 01:12 AM
catasetum gender agnatha3141 Orchids 12 29-11-2003 07:02 AM
Catasetum (Clowesia) John Mallery Orchids 11 13-07-2003 04:20 AM
Cycnoches & Catasetum Culture Gene Schurg Orchids 10 04-07-2003 04:32 AM