Old 05-10-2004, 12:40 PM
J Fortuna

Ray,
What exactly does 'leggy' mean. I know I've heard the term used before, but
I don't know for sure what is meant by it? Is it the same as top-heavy? And
come to think of it, I am not entirely sure about top heavy either (aside
from that it tends to topple, but are all toppling plants top-heavy?) I have
this mental image of a 'leggy' plant that attempts to stand on long leg like
roots holding its wait on two very long roots, like legs. :-)
Joanna

"Ray" wrote in message
snip
If, on the other hand, the temperature is raised when there is no solar

flux
to speak of - gray, cloudy days - one will tend to end up with leggy,

"soft"
plants that might not be able to even stand up properly (in extreme

cases).

My advice is to set your heating for maintaining a decent minimum
temperature, and let it go at that. It's better for the plants and less
expensive, too!

.
"Steve" wrote in message
Keith,
I've been following this thread and I have an opinion, even though I

don't
have a greenhouse.
Since you already have your heater system set up for day and night
temperatures, I think you should aim for a comfortable 10 degree (f)
difference between day and night. If you want to keep the night
temperatures no lower than 59f, then set the day temp for 69f. Now, I
don't think it would be necessary, or even desirable to keep the
temperature that warm all day (unless it is up there due to sunshine). I
would set that timer to be on from 11 AM to 3 PM.
I would either do away with the timer for the 59 degree setting or, if

it
is easier, set it for the 20 hours of the day that remain.
Hopefully, you will have many days where greenhouse warms beyond 69
degrees before 11 AM and the higher temperature thermostat will not even
have to kick in.

Steve (wishing for zone 8 but more like 3)

kenty ;-) wrote:
I have a electric heater run through a thermostat controller & probe
which
is very accurate,I have two of this set-up one for day & one for
night,both
on timers so one set-up takes over from the other,it is automatically
done.I
just have to initially set the parameters I want,the night is set to
59f/15c
and day has been at 71f/22c,but today was really sunny in the after

noon
so
the temp got in the 80`s.After input I have received off you guys I am
going
to lower the day temp to 66f/19c?What do you think.I live in Robin Hood
country,that being Nottingham,England,UK.It can get quite cold

here(zone
8)but really not that bad!My greenhouse is only a measly 10x8,but we

all
have to start somewhere.

Old 05-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Reka

"J Fortuna" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:eLv8d.5247$1g5.727@trnddc07...
Ray,
What exactly does 'leggy' mean. I know I've heard the term used before, but
I don't know for sure what is meant by it? Is it the same as top-heavy? And
come to think of it, I am not entirely sure about top heavy either (aside
from that it tends to topple, but are all toppling plants top-heavy?) I have
this mental image of a 'leggy' plant that attempts to stand on long leg like
roots holding its wait on two very long roots, like legs. :-)

Main Entry: leg·gy
Pronunciation: 'le-gE also 'lA-
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): leg·gi·er; -est
1 : having disproportionately long legs
2 : having long and attractive legs
3 : SPINDLY -- used of a plant
- leg·gi·ness /-n&s/ noun

Main Entry: spin·dly
Pronunciation: 'spin(d)-lE, 'spin-d&l-E
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): spin·dli·er; -est
1 : of a disproportionately tall or long and thin appearance that often suggests physical weakness spindly legs
2 : frail or flimsy in appearance or structure

I think of leggy plants like kids growing up without the proper vitamins. They do grow, but their body substance is not as firm and
healthy as it should be. The plants have to stretch toward the light instead of using the nutrients to grow compact cells.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 05-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Kenni Judd

For intermediates, a 95F daytime high is probably a bit much. We only
handle warm-growers. Kenni

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
Thanks for the advise,i grow intermediate,what are your conditions for the
advise given?

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:31:42 -0400, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

All we try to do is knock off the extremes -- misters to keep the temp

below
95F in summer, heat to 55F in winter. In between these extremes,

whatever
the temp happens to be is what it is.

We raise it to 65 during the day and let solar gain take it from
there. Here in Co it is not unusual to have the roof vent raise
in Feb. because it has gotten to 80 in the afternoon. OF course
the next day it may be gray and not climb over 70. So I let the
excess heat out and hope enough stays to temper the heating bill.

SuE

Old 05-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Kenni Judd

"Leggy" growths are taller than the norm for the same plant grown properly,
and usually also "soft" or "weak," and thinner than they should be. If they
bloom in this condition, they will be top-heavy, but not all top-heavy
plants are unhealthy, soft or leggy [heck, almost all our dens are
top-heavy!].

We don't have much issue with insufficient light for the temps around here,
but over-feeding will do the same thing -- instead of standing up straight,
the soft leggy growths want to lean over sideways. The bright side is that
usually they are soft enough to stand up and stake, but that's still extra
work [ring stakes won't do, since the soft growths will just bend over it --
you actually have to stake each individual growth] and not really the best
thing for the plant.

Good growing, Kenni

Old 06-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Kenni Judd

One more question, which may just result from my own inexperience with
anything other than warm growers -- but if this is for an intermediate group
of plants, why is your night min. temp so high? We heat to 55F because we
have only one house, so everyone has to be as warm as the most heat-loving
of our vandas and dens, not too mention the seedling-babies, but I know that
our mature Catts and Oncids would not only tolerate, but welcome,
considerably lower temps.

If and when we raise the $$ to build it, our next house will be for those
latter, and will be heated to no more than 40F, maybe lower.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,With autumn/winter upon us,my first growing in the greenhouse

have a question about how you control temp with the day or just a set

amount
of temp(8 hours a day, for example) regardless of daylong.
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 06-10-2004, 11:18 PM
profpam

Although catts and oncids will tolerate the low 40's, prolonger low temperatures
below 55 will send catasetums into dormancy. So it depends on what orchids one
is growing. I have a 57 degree F min temperature for my greenhouse, and
although one year I lost power and temperatures got down to 34 degrees while I
was out of the country -- and not much was lost -- I would not recommend this.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 22-10-2004, 05:17 PM

I was following this thread with interest, but am wondering what the
tempatures should be if one, like me, is using HPS lights to extend
the days into 12 hour days and as supplemental lighting during the
winter months?.

Hi Everyone,With autumn/winter upon us,my first growing in the greenhouse I