Old 24-12-2004, 02:50 AM
Phalguy

Default Suggestion please!

Hello everyone!

I have decided to subscibe to an orchid magazine but I don`t know which one
to choose!
I grow mostly phals and few paph.

Should I subscribe to The Orchid Digest or the IPA?

I know IPA is quite more expensive, is it worth it?

Thanks for your input

Claude

And Merry Christmas to all of you!
Joyeux Noel à tous !!!

Old 24-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Ray

C'mon, Claude. It's Christmas, so get both for yourself for one year.
If you decide one is less to your liking, it only cost a few bucks to
try.

..

Old 24-12-2004, 09:35 PM
profpam

Hi Claude,

Orchid Digest touts Harold Koopowitz, a wonderful orchid experimenter.
Be aware that the Orchid Digest only produces a publication quarterly
whereas Orchids produces monthly. Although Koopowitz, a major
contributor, and Robert/Hoberly Schuler are wonderful people, because
it is a quaterly magazine I have decided to limit my subscription to
Orchids, the AOS publication since it is difficult to keep track of
quarterly vs. monthly things. But, I love them both.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

--------------------------------

Old 25-12-2004, 04:22 PM
K Barrett

Ditto.

This is where the concept of Dead Orchid Units comes in. A second
subscription is only 2-3 Dead Orchid Units. That is to say, would anything
you'd have learned from such a purchase have saved you 2-3 dead orchids?

K Barrett
You can't have too many books

.

Old 25-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Ditto.

This is where the concept of Dead Orchid Units comes in. A second
subscription is only 2-3 Dead Orchid Units. That is to say, would anything
you'd have learned from such a purchase have saved you 2-3 dead orchids?

K Barrett
You can't have too many books

Should I subscribe to The Orchid Digest or the IPA?
I know IPA is quite more expensive, is it worth it?
Thanks for your input

Claude

Even if the OD comes only once a quarter - it is very powerful
eye candy as well as very good reading. It also has the
reputation of coming out on time. Not something AOS can say
about Orchids. If you really want Phal Information and want to
JUST try the magazine they did a tremendous issue about Phal.
http://orchiddigest.safeshopper.com/9/32.htm?21
For $22 US you can order the magazine as a separate issue.
There is also one on Paphs that has as much information as most
books and it is only $12.
http://orchiddigest.safeshopper.com/9/10.htm?21
This is one way to sample.

You would have the best of the ODC's information and could go
after the IPA next year to see if it qualifies or if you want to
get ODC's magazine.

Not being an IPA member I have not read their magazine to give an
opinion. I do think OD is worth every penny. We originally
felt it was pretty pricey for only 4 issues. But these are
really done as small books. IT is worth the dollars.
SuE

Old 26-12-2004, 06:28 PM
K Barrett

Following up on my own suggestion I've decided to join the IPA but the
membership application won't print from teh home page, so I have a email in
to the membership contact people.

Nevertheless

When is the next IPA meeting? Looks like they have several meetings per
year, regional ones as well as national meetings, with a good variety of
speakers. I didn't see any info online, any IPA members here have any web
pages on upcoming meetings?

K Barrett

Old 28-12-2004, 09:52 PM
dd

Based on your recommendation, I ordered it! I have Mary Noble's book
on Phals, but having an updated perspective would be great. Thanks!

Old 28-12-2004, 09:52 PM
dd

wrote:

Even if the OD comes only once a quarter - it is very powerful
eye candy as well as very good reading. It also has the
reputation of coming out on time. Not something AOS can say
about Orchids. If you really want Phal Information and want to
JUST try the magazine they did a tremendous issue about Phal.
http://orchiddigest.safeshopper.com/9/32.htm?21
For $22 US you can order the magazine as a separate issue.

Centre piece suggestion please Broadback United Kingdom 13 31-01-2006 08:21 PM
Suggestion please?? Need a specimen shrub Peter Gardening 1 07-04-2005 05:05 PM
Suggestion please! Phalguy Orchids 0 24-12-2004 02:50 AM
[IBC] Herb Gustafson White courtesy tele please: [IBC] suggestion for... Harry L Abel Bonsai 8 01-03-2004 07:13 PM
[IBC] Herb Gustafson White courtesy tele please: [IBC] suggestion for the IBC site Shelly Hurd Bonsai 13 01-03-2004 06:32 PM